Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 September 2017
Thank you Tony Robinson for letting sam sing as he walked the Icknield Way.
You either like or love Sam's style. I love it.
on 11 August 2014
5 stars for the music.

Auto rip was advertised on this cd but it never materialised.
on 18 July 2012
Heard an interview with Sam on Front Row and was intrigued. I have moved away from folk music in the last decade but the snippets I heard made the hairs on the back of my hand stand up. I don't say this lightly. Here is a great new voice reinterpreting the folk tradition for modern times. His voice is exquisite, carrying all the emotional lament for the past within its nuance. The arrangements are out there, using Jaw harp and other instruments to build up incredible layers of sound. Buy this album. Be blown away and thank the gods of old there are still people out there making music for music's sake and not just the mindless pap of ages or the froth of reality tv. Well done Sam, more please.
on 17 July 2012
Here is a wonderfully crafted new album by a relative newcomer to the genre. I'm no knit-your-own-youghourt folkie but Lee's approach is gentle and intelligent and he makes a tune unfold beautifully in ways you would not expect. Most are truly moving - Goodbye my Darling and the Tan Yard Slide are lyrical and sad - whilst a couple of jolly foot-tappers will lift your mood. His medieval-styled lyrics coupled with the use of unexpected instruments - marimba, trumpet, sleigh-bells, steel drums, clarinet (from what I can hear) - are idiosyncratic but they just work - a mark of someone who really 'gets' music. His voice is magnificent, soft and gentle: a lovely instrument. I will certainly be looking to purchase previous albums. I wouldn't get too upset about the anti-semitic sentiment causing a previous reviewer to only give one star. People sing about life, good or bad - deal with it.

Update - short listed for the Mercury Prize 2012 but sadly not the winner. Sorry, this is a debut album so no previous works to compare.
on 27 August 2012
Once in a generation, if we're lucky, an album appears that moves onward and upwards. Think Christy Moore's 'Prosperous' think Sam Lee's 'Ground of its Own'. A pure voice, true to the song itself, captivates. Imaginitive arrangements elevate. It is now, it is then. It is the singer and the song.
on 11 August 2012
Not a long a detailed review; I am into vocal music, but not heavily into Folk. To summarize my impression of Sam Lee's CD - this is a unique treatment of the music, sung to perfection with deep understanding of what he is singing, combined with a very high degree of musicianship. The singing is haunting, and sensitive, paying as much attention to words as to music, and goes a long way to convert one to a fan of the genre. Impressive debut disc, evidently a labour of love. Looking forward to more. Thanks Sam.
on 24 July 2012
This has to be album of the year. Not only does Sam Lee have an amazing voice and a fantastic selection of little known songs but the arrangements are fresh different and frankly out of this world.
Goodbye my darling is my choice to be top of an outstanding selection but just listen to the trumpet on On yonder hill or the brilliant combination of instuments on Wildwood amber . If you love folk music or just good music buy this album.
on 24 June 2012
I've been waiting for a release by Sam Lee for what seems like ages after hearing the few brilliant things you can find on You Tube. On first listening I already know it's a wonderful record that I'll probably play a 100 times this month, both traditional and new and of course, with that great voice, perfect for folksong. Shame no Puck's song but you can get it on Oak Ash Thorn and I suspect some legal reason for that. I hope this is just the start of many great records. If you like UK folk, a must buy.
on 25 July 2012
Knowing little about folk music but wanting to move out of a decade-long obsession with electronica, I began searching for the sound I had in my head; something with the heart and melancholy of folk, its ageless sense of doom and danger, but one that would tell your ears it was 2012.
This album certainly fits a good part of the bill.
Lee, a former burlesque dancer, learnt songs directly from gypsy and traveller communities. His arrangements include the use of Chet Baker-esque trumpets and, I think, the hang, during `On Yonder Hill', the mesmerizing drone of shruti boxes on bizarre transgender ballad `The Tan Yard Slide' and snatches of old opera recordings (`Wild Wood Amber'). His voice sounds modern and Londonish without lapsing into dropped h's, glottal stops and innits.
Excellent.
I'm also working my way through some Imagined Village, Spiro and a comp. album called `Weirdlore'. Any recommendations, do pass them on.
66 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 July 2012
So, what's the latest "enfant terrible" of the nu-folk scene got to offer us (after all that pre-publicity) then ? Well, putting aside any considerations of the virtues of song collection or the merits of re-interpreting the "tradition", and just simply listening to it as an album in its own right, it's sort of ... overwhelmingly alright. Actually it verges on the slightly boring at times and struggles to hold my attention at times. I'm afraid that for my punk-rock ears a whole album totally devoid of guitars and without much in the way of drums is a bit too much for me to take all in one go. (Don't be alarmed, punk & folk are two sides of the same coin I reckon). However, and let's concentrate on this, it does contain a couple of absolute gems.

The best is On Yonder Hill where the part of "lead guitar" is taken by "hunting horn". OK it's actually a trumpet but that's what it (deliberately) sounds like, brilliant, brilliant, absolute genius. The other gem is Goodbye My Darling, which (once it gets going) sounds like Outdoor Miner by Wire, yes, it really does. It's worth the price of admission just for these two tracks alone. Actually it would be worth it just for On Yonder Hill alone.

A word on the earlier review by Leonardo27 who has completely missed the point to an almost unbelievable degree. As Sam explained on a recent Mike Harding show, the song The Jew's Garden is there to demonstrate how the English can be shown in a bad-light regarding anti-semitism. So therefore, one could say that the presence of the song here is effectively anti-English rather than anti-semitic. Was Leonardo27 not aware that Sam is Jewish ? It seems to get mentioned in every interview he does and every article about him.