Customer reviews

The Golden Age
Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 14 June 2014
I decided to download this on whim, as it was free. I am so glad I did. Firstly, it made me want to rush off and read WITW. I'd never been a fan, as watching the TV series as a child, Toad got right on my nerves...
But reading this autobiography is to indulge in the days of innocent chiildhood, when summers last 40 weeks of the year and we were able to play out safely, stretching and strengthening our imagination, for 14 hours a day.
It is so beautifully written you can't help but lose yourself in Grahame's world, travelling back in time and sharing his memories right alongside him -the sounds, sights, smells are all so poignantly and artistically painted in words. If you love well written memoirs of times past, you will love this book.
Another one to lok out for is Rumer Godden's autobiography, A Time to Dance, No Time to Weep
on 7 June 2013
I've wanted to read this for years, I love The Wind in the Willows, and this is an autobiographical account of Kenneth Grahame's childhood. Absorbing and moving and poignant, funny and evocative..
on 23 March 2014
I love Wind in the Willows, of course and started to read this with interest. I enjoyed the wonderful picture of an idyllic Edwardian childhood told with humour and compassion. I read it in short bursts as it is a collection of stories about the family. Rather a forgotten classic. I'm so glad I found it as free Kindle book.
on 5 November 2013
I loved this book when I first read it, many years ago, in my 20s.have just read it again at 70,
and loved it even more. It evokes memories of childhood innocence and fantasy. A real classic.
on 24 July 2015