on 7 October 2015
My mother read the book to me, and like so many others who have been fascinated by the story, never questioned the animals size in relation to humans or the environment around them. Somehow Grahame had made things equal and the animals were able to change worlds without the reader noticing. And when I grew older and read the book to my daughter the differences therein went unnoticed. My daughter has my copy, So what better book to replace and read in retirement.
on 15 August 2013
This book should be required reading for all children (and all aspiring authors). The first few paragraphs alone are worth the asking price, and more. Kenneth Grahame's lyrical prose has been enjoyed for decades and his characters remain as endearing as always. Mole, rat and toad all take over the point of view of the story at some point and are all wonderfully rounded and beautifully described actors in this hugely entertaining story. If I was going to be picky (and I suppose I am) then I would have to say that the chapters about otter's missing son and the sea-faring rat do not really advance the plot in any way, but who can criticise Mr. Grahame for exploring his make-believe world just a little more. Poop-poop!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 May 2014
It's possible I've started reading this to the kids a bit to young (they are 5 and 6) but its fair to say the book has dated somewhat and the terminology, language and phrasing is not of the sort you will find in more modern books for younger listeners and readers. Indeed, there are a few words in there I've had to look up!

We do spend a lot of time explaining various bits and pieces to them as we go through it so it's slow going but that is part if the fun and learning experience I suppose!

However, it's a lovely, well written reminder of simple pleasures enjoyed by simple folk (or animals even!)
on 25 February 2013
I had loved the film (1983 version) and the TV series whilst growing up, but whilst looking for some free Kindle reads, it occurred to me that I had never actually read the book as a child. I loved how the characters managed to come alive, and you manage to forget that they are animals.

This is not just a story for the young; it is for the young at heart too. There is something so simple about it that makes this a wonderful read and took me to a different place for a few hours. Highly recommended if you have not already read this and want something that takes your mind away from it all for a while, or if you have been considering giving the classics a go, then this will be a gentle breakthrough into that genre.
on 24 December 2015
Wind in the willows is a classic books that I until now have never read.
I have seen it on the tv in real action and cartoon form.
But this week I decided it was only 1.99 so buy it and sit down and read it.
It is a little gem, and I really enjoyed it, I can see why it has remained a favorite through the year.
Give yourself a treat and give it a go.
on 27 October 2013
There aren't enough STARS to indicate my love of this book!
"The army all saluted
As they marched along the road.
Was it the King? Or Kitchener?
No. It was Mr. Toad.”
What better words to describe the endearing self-absorption of Mr. Toad. Perhaps, having seen the film of this book, one forgets the amazingly wonderful description of NATURE, the plants, the river, the woods, the animals, the scenery, the seasons & so forth minutely described by the author. And the film missed out the little otter protected by the god Pan altogether! Of course Edwardian mores entered the book too. The Class System was obvious. Ratty middle class, Toad upper & silly. Mole aspiring. The weasels & stoats definitely below the salt! Still, andere Länder, andere Sitten. Everyone should read — or have read — this book. My two most favourite books — read many times — are The Wind in the Willows & Clochemerle.
on 27 April 2017
Before reading the book I'd only seen the animated version, the book has far greater depth than I would have imagined. Much of what you see in film versions is a sad reflection of the book. READ THE BOOK..........
on 26 June 2017
Absolutely wonderful read took me back to the wonderful, gentle days of my childhood so many years ago. Should be read by every one of today's children to tell them about what a completely different world we now live in.
on 5 June 2017
This is one of my favourite books from childhood. I saw a theatre production of it once and well remember the terror of the wild wood portrayed by red eyes of the wicked wood dwellers on a darkened stage. Evocative of another time which with all its faults had things to recommend it.
on 12 February 2013
I had to buy this book for my granddaughter and am looking forward to reading it to her. It's beautiful.