I remember having this book read to me at school and all the class were rapt and couldn't wait for every Friday afternoon for the next installment. The love of this book has grown as I have grown older and each time I read it, I find something new and more delightful in it. How I long to sit in Badgers comfortable home or watch the river go gliding past whilst at Ratty's house. Even Moles little home is charming with his little skittle alley. Toad Hall didn't impress me much as a child and still doesn't but who can't love the bumptious and rather silly Toad? He maybe rash and naughty but at heart he is a loveable chap.

This book simply doesn't date and the descriptions given of the river and the herbage and of the Wild Wood are superb. Probably my favourite chapter being Pagan, is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn'. Ratty and Mole are swept along without oars listening to music coming from they know not where until they find themselves on a little island and there they find a certain special someone plus the Otters son who has been missing for some time.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough for children and adults simply transports you to a quieter, nicer time and makes you feel all 'squishy' and happy inside.
This book is a personal favourite of mine, and one that I never get tired of reading, and I know that I am not the only adult that has read it many times, and will continue to do so. Great for children as well this is something that you can read to them in instalments, and when they are old enough, they can then read themselves.

Published over a hundred years ago, rather like JK Rowling and her Harry Potter books this was turned down by a number of publishers, and when it was eventually published received some quite snooty reviews from critics. However despite this this was a hit with the public, and has remained so, and it is easy to see why.

This isn’t perfect by any means and reading it you do soon realise that the animal characters change size on a number of occasions, from their normal animal size, to being larger and coming into contact with humans. They even have money, after all Mr Toad can buy anything he seemingly wants and lives in a hall.

As Mole leaves his home for a look outside on a glorious spring morning so he comes into contact with Ratty, and the two are soon firm friends. With Badger, who Ratty already knows, Mole makes another new friend, and also with Toad. But with all the comedy and incident here it is Toad that captures everyone’s imagination. He is conceited and really to a certain extent obnoxious but we can’t help but root for him as he goes to prison, escapes and then finds out that Toad Hall is being squatted in by stoats and weasels.

Creating a world that has many similarities with the real one at that period, this is a tale that keeps us all enthralled as we read of the many exploits and adventures that happen here, as well as the more sedate side of life, with relaxing and taking meals with friends. Always a treat to read there is one thing here that you end up saying and can’t help yourself when you get into a car, and that is Toad’s saying of ‘Poop! Poop!’ Don’t worry it does wear off after a few days, but the next time you read the book it happens again.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 March 2014
In this wonderfully nostalgic book, based on Kenneth Graham's own childhood, Mr Mole gets fed up with spring cleaning and takes a day off. He meets Mr Rat and is captivated by his lifestyle. He decides to move in with him and meets other fascinating characters - such as Mr Badger, Mr Toad and the otter, as well as the villainous weasels and stoats of the wild wood and their ruler, the Chief Weasel. There are really two books in one - the comic story of Toad and the beautiful story of Ratty and Mole's experiences on the river, the two stories converging when the creatures of the wild wood occupy Toad Hall and have to be ejected.
This is an absolutely wonderful book, beautifully written and completely absorbing. Like other great children's books, it tells the truth about the human condition better than any adult book could do. It makes you laugh and cry and also makes you think and feel in a new way. Marvellous!
on 10 October 2016
My mother read this book to me when I was small and it is a story I have returned to many times over the years. It must be said it is a rather masculine book but modern children will still be enchanted by its tales of adventure, companionship , safe refuge and eating. I'm now 63 and will soon take the opportunity to read it to my granddaughter. Even if you only experience it through the medium of The Wind In The Willows, you can learn there is simply nothing better than messing about in boats
on 20 January 2013
Best book I've read for a while. It is very good and well written. I would recommend this to anyone.
on 1 January 2013
I read this as a boy, now many years ago!

Taking the opportunity to read again on KIndle..

The characters are still really strong and I suspect we'd all like to be like Toad on some days. A good read for all ages.
on 30 January 2013
I bought this book to read to my grandchildren, It is a book I grew up with, my children loved it and I hope in this high tech world that my small grandchildren will love Mole, Toad and all the others
on 27 October 2013
There aren't enough STARS to indicate my love of this book!
"The army all saluted
As they marched along the road.
Was it the King? Or Kitchener?
No. It was Mr. Toad.”
What better words to describe the endearing self-absorption of Mr. Toad. Perhaps, having seen the film of this book, one forgets the amazingly wonderful description of NATURE, the plants, the river, the woods, the animals, the scenery, the seasons & so forth minutely described by the author. And the film missed out the little otter protected by the god Pan altogether! Of course Edwardian mores entered the book too. The Class System was obvious. Ratty middle class, Toad upper & silly. Mole aspiring. The weasels & stoats definitely below the salt! Still, andere Länder, andere Sitten. Everyone should read — or have read — this book. My two most favourite books — read many times — are The Wind in the Willows & Clochemerle.
on 21 September 2015
I have seen many adaptations of Wind in the Willows but haven't read Kenneth Grahame's novel since reading it to my own children. It was lovely to revisit Mole, Rattie and of course the formidable Badger not to mention follow the exploits of that naughty Toad.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 May 2014
It's possible I've started reading this to the kids a bit to young (they are 5 and 6) but its fair to say the book has dated somewhat and the terminology, language and phrasing is not of the sort you will find in more modern books for younger listeners and readers. Indeed, there are a few words in there I've had to look up!

We do spend a lot of time explaining various bits and pieces to them as we go through it so it's slow going but that is part if the fun and learning experience I suppose!

However, it's a lovely, well written reminder of simple pleasures enjoyed by simple folk (or animals even!)