I remember having this book read to me at school and all the class were rapt and couldn't wait for every Friday afternoon for the next installment. The love of this book has grown as I have grown older and each time I read it, I find something new and more delightful in it. How I long to sit in Badgers comfortable home or watch the river go gliding past whilst at Ratty's house. Even Moles little home is charming with his little skittle alley. Toad Hall didn't impress me much as a child and still doesn't but who can't love the bumptious and rather silly Toad? He maybe rash and naughty but at heart he is a loveable chap.

This book simply doesn't date and the descriptions given of the river and the herbage and of the Wild Wood are superb. Probably my favourite chapter being Pagan, is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn'. Ratty and Mole are swept along without oars listening to music coming from they know not where until they find themselves on a little island and there they find a certain special someone plus the Otters son who has been missing for some time.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough for children and adults alike............it simply transports you to a quieter, nicer time and makes you feel all 'squishy' and happy inside.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 March 2014
In this wonderfully nostalgic book, based on Kenneth Graham's own childhood, Mr Mole gets fed up with spring cleaning and takes a day off. He meets Mr Rat and is captivated by his lifestyle. He decides to move in with him and meets other fascinating characters - such as Mr Badger, Mr Toad and the otter, as well as the villainous weasels and stoats of the wild wood and their ruler, the Chief Weasel. There are really two books in one - the comic story of Toad and the beautiful story of Ratty and Mole's experiences on the river, the two stories converging when the creatures of the wild wood occupy Toad Hall and have to be ejected.
This is an absolutely wonderful book, beautifully written and completely absorbing. Like other great children's books, it tells the truth about the human condition better than any adult book could do. It makes you laugh and cry and also makes you think and feel in a new way. Marvellous!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 May 2014
It's possible I've started reading this to the kids a bit to young (they are 5 and 6) but its fair to say the book has dated somewhat and the terminology, language and phrasing is not of the sort you will find in more modern books for younger listeners and readers. Indeed, there are a few words in there I've had to look up!

We do spend a lot of time explaining various bits and pieces to them as we go through it so it's slow going but that is part if the fun and learning experience I suppose!

However, it's a lovely, well written reminder of simple pleasures enjoyed by simple folk (or animals even!)
on 16 July 2015
Another classic that has stood the test of time. My 10 year-old daughter loved it, which was a relief because I have been known to build up her anticipation for other classics (e.g. the film Bedknobs and Broomsticks) only to find that what was cool 40 years ago really isn't now!
on 29 August 2014
When I was about 4, my Mum read this to me. Now I'm 71, and I'm reading it to my two little cousins. And I'm still as in love with it as I was before. It is ageless, timeless. It will be one of those books that lives forever. If you haven't got it, or you've never read it, put that right here and now. Add it to your Kindle, and start to revisit your childhood. You'll love it. And the troops will love you. Promise.
on 13 February 2015
Will never tire of this book -- always enjoy reading the various adventures . To me, this is a timeless tale -- read it myself, read it to my own child and made sure that the children I taught heard it too, and have often given it as a present . If you have never read it, I recommend that you do
on 15 August 2013
This book should be required reading for all children (and all aspiring authors). The first few paragraphs alone are worth the asking price, and more. Kenneth Grahame's lyrical prose has been enjoyed for decades and his characters remain as endearing as always. Mole, rat and toad all take over the point of view of the story at some point and are all wonderfully rounded and beautifully described actors in this hugely entertaining story. If I was going to be picky (and I suppose I am) then I would have to say that the chapters about otter's missing son and the sea-faring rat do not really advance the plot in any way, but who can criticise Mr. Grahame for exploring his make-believe world just a little more. Poop-poop!
on 30 January 2013
I bought this book to read to my grandchildren, It is a book I grew up with, my children loved it and I hope in this high tech world that my small grandchildren will love Mole, Toad and all the others
on 28 May 2014
A pistol carrying rat that loves nothing better than to go boating on the water; a motor-mad toad, and many other creatures, not forgetting mole, I love it. This is one of many classics that I never read when I was young.
The writing style is a bit dated and there are a few words dotted about that would not be used today. However, it is a charming story and I recommend it whole heartedly.
on 25 February 2013
I had loved the film (1983 version) and the TV series whilst growing up, but whilst looking for some free Kindle reads, it occurred to me that I had never actually read the book as a child. I loved how the characters managed to come alive, and you manage to forget that they are animals.

This is not just a story for the young; it is for the young at heart too. There is something so simple about it that makes this a wonderful read and took me to a different place for a few hours. Highly recommended if you have not already read this and want something that takes your mind away from it all for a while, or if you have been considering giving the classics a go, then this will be a gentle breakthrough into that genre.