Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 23 August 2014
A seemingly uncoordinated recount turnouts to be so powerful in conveying the story. Felt it was a full journey that I experienced with the author. Acute descriptions of human natures, shocking yet couldn't have been more fair. The sequence of events flows so natural, one can only lament that the tragedy is inevitable.
on 8 November 2012
This is a book that is of its time with the way the characters behave and the situations they are in, but the principle heart of the story is timeless, which I suppose could be said of many love stories. It has the Ford Maddox Ford style that some may find difficult to keep up with, but it does make the read more entertaining and keeps the brain working. The build of the story is progressive, and does not start to really reveal all until the last third, so you have to keep faith with it and keep reading. I did enjoy it, and if you like early 20th Century writings then I would give it a try. Will now give Parades End a go, and see how it compares to the recent TV adaption.
on 5 September 2012
A brilliantly told story about the complexity of holding a life together.

It is a novel way of writing that takes a bit of getting used to. I enjoyed it and will read more of his books.
on 8 November 2012
This book takes the reader back to a completely different moral age, where social mores are far subtler than in this new millenium. The writing style gets the reader hooked into the characters quickly and demands that they take sides.
on 21 August 2013
It was highly recommended to me so I struggled through to half way - never found a plot - it never grabbed me so I have put it down
but will try again in a few weeks time. I do not like to be beaten.
Meanwhile I am back to Bleak House which I enjoy.
on 3 December 2012
This is a very disappointing read, in fact I gave up about half way through. I don't know quite what I expected but this author is well regarded and this book is meant to be a bit of a classic, but I found the story and characters uninteresting.
on 4 May 2015
There's much to enjoy in this book, especially its intricate structure. Great for fans of literature, though you can't help but wish the characters would stop torturing themselves - and each other.
on 28 February 2013
An intricate story which opens out into a tragedy over the length of the book. Not one of the main characters is really sympathetic but the unfolding of the plot keeps the pages turning.
on 18 June 2013
So different from what I expected having seen Parades end. The use of a bumbling narrator who knows less about what is going on than the reader has guessed is very clever.
on 12 March 2015
As most people have commented The Good Soldier is a difficult book to get into but, by sticking with it you are rewarded with an excellent story.