on 5 November 2017
Very good. Helps you understand information clearly
on 4 July 2013
It's a bit wordy; (long winded, takes ages to get the point across). The informational drawing are ok they could be better though
on 2 July 2013
This book is exactly what I wanted. A good focus on the drawing convention, interesting historical explanations of how and why things are 'the way they are' (welding standards, history of drawing standards etc).

I can use this book as a reference to quickly and confidently generate standard templates in Solidworks, AutoCAD etc with the correct settings (as opposed to my workplace, which has a strange 'evolved' non-standard set up which varies from person-to-person!!!). Most details I 'knew anyway', but a surprising amount of 'bits and bobs' that I did not. It certainly filled a few knowledge gaps. Useful and interesting.

Before buying, I read other reviews that were negative, pointing to some inaccuracies, but for my needs this book is great. I wasn't looking for an all-encompassing, full-depth encyclopaedia on the topic - I wanted a mid-depth agile reference which covers all the bases. Which I believe I found.
on 31 August 2012
I'm an electronics engineer who has found himself needing to read engineering drawings. This is an ideal book for me; I need to know what the various symbols mean, which way around things are pictured (it's not always obvious) and what different sorts of dot mean. For this it is great; an appendix showing all the different conventions would be nice, but it sits happily on my desk as a reference.
on 31 October 2015
Well presented and well written, a must addition to any engineering library.
on 29 December 2016
Brilliant book with plenty of technical info, well recommended.
on 10 October 2012
On pages 223 & 224, the text for 'All Around A Workpiece' Graphical Symbol text appears to contradict ISO/BS8888 constituent ISO1302, stating that the symbol applies to all eight sides.

ISO1302 states that the symbol refers only to the six sides around the profile of the part. The surfaces indicated 1&3 would not be included.

Third edition contains the same issue.
on 10 November 2014
Colin is the master! An essential for the DO
on 1 November 2012
I am a qualified mechanical designer draughtsman, initially practiced in BS 308, since 1968.
Commenting on the preview only, I found several errors both printed and graphical. A book of this nature needs to be entirely accurate.
The pity is that the authors' efforts and expense is blighted for the lack of relatively inexpensive proofreading. This is a common problem in such publications; however, it is inexcusable.
on 19 December 2015
Very detailed on what I wanted to know.