Format: DVD|Change

on 20 August 2013
Don't worry, Seth hasn't lost his touch. There's much hilarity, invention and magical Rogerismo in the new series, with some characters finding a new space in the limelight. Probably worth the price just to see Roger as a military toilet cleaner!
However, if like me you just have a standard TV/DVD combination (which has previously worksed just fine for all Region 2 discs# you'll be weatching all this in black and white! Fox's decision to issue this in a "Region 2" format that nonetheless requires NTSC compatability is a gesture of utter contempt to Region 2 viewers, and Amazon hasn't helped by failing completely to point this out. I bought the DVD as soon as it appeared and, when it played in monochrome, thought it was faulty, sent it back and bought another one #needless to say, also black and white# - surely, Amazon, a word of information might have been useful here! Simply selling it as "Region 2 NTSC " won't convey to many people that this is not designed to play on their machines. Hope you get lots and lots of returns! My poor rating is not for the content of the disc but for the fact that it was effectively mis-sold to me #twice# as appropriate for a straightforward Region 2 viewing - and it isn't. Fox's decision is infuriating but Amazon could at least point out that this may well not play correctly for many purchasers. If, like me, you've bought all the previous American Dad discs, it simply won't occur to you that this one is going to present a problem.
44 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 October 2013
jeese fox seriously why sell a dvd in the uk that is NTSC format but region 2 if you want people to buy it so you can have more money in your greedy little hearts then make it pal format and you might actually sell some
44 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 August 2013
This is just to let customers know that this is the NTSC version which is usually just watchable in America. It works on my xbox, ps3 and blu ray player.
on 7 August 2013
This and family guy are two of the best comedies on television, personally I like this a little more than family guy because it doesn't always rely on irreverent gags, this show is very smart and I love Roger so much he is hilarious! I'm not saying I don't like family guy but I find this a lot more entertaining!
SEASON 8 or volume 8 whatever, is yet another great season, one of the highlights is a killer hot tub that the family buy its a hilarious episode, if you like or LOVE American Dad this is a must own box set and if you're not sure pick it up any way its a great funny and very entertaining show with very funny and relatable characters
on 24 September 2015
This is a great product. Much like the other 7 series of American dad the 8th is funny, outragous and above all highly entertaining. Its a great buy for any American Dad or family Guy fan. Seth McFarlane is a genius. One important thing that should be said is that the dvd will play in Britian as its a region 2 dvd set I don't understand why everyone says its NTSC as its working fine and even says its a region two on the product.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2013
ive all american dad, an family guy episodes an this one is great. there are a couple on this dvd that are truly brilliant if your a fan you will love this serice, no dout about it, real laugh out loud....!!! please hurry an release vol9..!!!!
on 5 April 2016
Used to like this show but I feel it's gone on for to long and becoming less and less funny, i don't like it as much as I used to and can safely say I won't be watching anymore. Still like Family guy but American dad isn't really that good anymore, the first episode of this season was just complete nonsense and I almost turnt it of at one point. I can see how many people would still find this funny but I can't stand it anymore, a once really funny animated show that has lost it's touch.
on 6 August 2013
I LLOOVVEE! This season, my favorite season was 7 (ep: Son of Stan) but this is such a close second. I'm a 16 year old girl and I'm exactly like Hailey so I can actually look up to her. Seth has gave us an awesome treat with this season!

Peace
on 21 February 2013
I adore American Dad, I own volumes 1-7 and have had a long wait for volume eight to be released in the UK. Why is it that English exports are often available to the USA before we get them here (Ripper Street is an example of this) yet USA are on series nine of American Dad whilst series eight (that was shown 2011-12 in USA) we are only just seeing that on Fox now!
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 November 2013
American Dad is one of my favourite TV shows, and the warmth, humour, and good story-telling were brilliantly sustained over the first seven series. Unfortunately, in series eight it looks past its prime. And, like Family Guy, as the ideas run out the writers increasingly rely on crudeness and wackiness, which they previously used in smaller but more effective doses.

It also seems determined to be much darker than before - by the end of an episode, a character is more likely to be killed or badly wounded than to have had a moment of insight or closure. Werner Herzog is credited with one episode; I think the writers have been watching too many of his movies. Roger seems to have gone from fey eccentric to psychotic killer (Stewie's journey in reverse). The first time Klaus addresses Francine as "bitch" it's funny, but not the third time in the same episode (and again in subsequent episodes). Roger kissing Steve or another character out of context is another overused gag.

Having said that, the series has a lot of good jokes and some good stories too. I've watched all of it and will watch it again, and if you have the first seven seasons you'll want to be getting this. There are some stand-out episodes: "Hot Tub", "Hurricane" and "Toy Whorey" to name three.

Not sure what all the NTSC / Pal stuff is about in the other reviews, but then I have a multi-region DVD player. Also not sure why so many of the reviews are semi-literate, I always thought this show was aimed at a pretty sophisticated audience.