Format: Vinyl|Change

on 4 September 2012
Man, this is a seriously great LP. You could talk about the socio-political undertones of this compilation till the cows come home, the meeting of two cultures' musics made by and for poor folk, but really this is about one thing: badass music.

Within the first half of the LP you have low-slung grooves, heavy syncopated funk drums, scorching Memphis horn sections and tales of waste of space rednecks called Lucas. This is the sort of music you imagine Burt Reynolds in full Bandit garb boot-scootin' to with a buxom young lady in Daisy Dukes shakin' what her momma gave her. It really is ferociously visceral music in places combining the best of both worlds to maximum effect - this isn't music made to fill a pigeon-hole; it's a strange harmony between two seemingly polar opposites but works so beautifully.

I can't recommend this compilation highly enough and when I say I can't point out any highlights I mean this in the very best possible way. All killer, no filler.
Featuring plenty of funky percussion and bass, this is another quality release from Light In The Attic Records. Overall, the song selection is just right and the end result is a delicious melting-pot of country music fused with gritty and funky soul and blues.

Bobby Gentry's coming of age 'He Made a Woman Out of Me' takes it's lead both lyrically and musically from Dusty Springfield's 'Son Of a Preacher Man' and Bobby Darin's 'Light Blue' features a killer bass line. Dennis The Fox's 'Piledriver' has some stunning funky beats and cool lyrics ("She's the lady with the action if you think you've got the nerve") and equally cool female backing vocals and, like Johnny Jenkins' take on Dr John's 'Walk On Gilded Splinters', it begins with a seriously funky drum break. Gray Fox get deep down and dirty on 'Hawg Frog' and 'Georgia Morning Dew' by Johnny Adams features plenty of horns.

Clocking in at 58:52 and housed in a digipak, the liner notes include a detailed essay about the music and musicians and photos of the original vinyl releases. It also includes some specially commissioned illustrations of all the artists featured. All tracks have been remastered. Recommended.

Update:

***Despite what another reviewer has written, this CD is NOT copyright protected - I ripped it using Windows Media Player and encountered NO problems whatsoever***
on 17 September 2012
I'm pretty partial to the genre called Country Funk but apparently not hardcore enough.
Familiar with most artists on this compilation, I bought it especially for the names I was unfamiliar with.
The biggest surprise (and dare I say the best song too) was finding former teen idol Bobby Darin (Bob Darin now) on here singing Light Blue. Killer song.
Tony Joe White, Jim Ford, Bobby Charles, Link Wray, Bobbie Gentry, Larry Jon Wilson. The best in the genre. Only Joe South and Billy Joe Royal seem to be missing.
But what about Gritz, Cherokee, Gray Fox or Dennis the Fox?
And still their songs on here belong on this comp seamlessly.
Light in the Attic records who compiled and released this treasure of Country Funk sure are in the running for one nomination or other.
Excellent job, you guys!
on 1 November 2013
Is it country? Well, mostly. Is it funky? Yup. Throw in a little influence from blues/folk/rock/gospel and there's enough variety here to keep it interesting but the title describes what's on offer pretty well. Nicely curated and sequenced selection of tracks with an irresistible low slung, swampy kinda vibe. It's rare that I come across a compilation with which I never get the itch to skip a track. Good stuff from Light in The Attic Records.
on 4 September 2014
Light In The Attic Records look to me to be a quality outfit, one on which we can rely to lovingly put together well thought-out releases for our listening pleasure! this one, and it's follow-up volume II, is fantastic from beginning to end, not a dud track in sight, all ridiculously funky and ripe for endless repeated listening. stun your friends with little-known soon to be party staples, hidden nuggets, as well as established artists' forgotten gems, all with quality sound and cool packaging. most of all, it's properly funky, and i don't mean in a charming clunky white boy way; i mean Muscle Shoals funky,any of the tracks could be the MG's, the Meters, the Funk Brothers as backing band featuring soulful singing with charming country lyrical vignettes abound ... Buy this and vol.II now!
on 10 June 2013
Really enjoyed this diverse collection - if you like quirky funk and soul it's a must. Good quality vinyl and a lot of good material for the money. I can imagine many of these songs as "floorfillers" at the right night...
on 7 September 2013
If you've got Country Soul Vol 1 and 2 then this is worth getting as it has equally great tracks not featured on those two albums
on 9 August 2012
I'm the co -author of GALACTIC RAMBLE and ENDLESS TRIP. I read a review of this CD and thought it sounded interesting. I can't stop playing it - it has opened a door into a whole new world for me. Buy it if you like down and dirty, bluesy country-flecked rawk n roll. It's the best record I've bought this century.
on 20 September 2012
I picked this up after a recommendation. I was a bit skeptical as I normally detest country music but I kept an open mind and gave it a whirl. All in all I'm very glad I did, rather than the stereotypical country music fodder this is a really varied and interesting collection of songs. The "funk" aspect doesn't mean you should expect Parliament wearing stetsons, instead it is a bit harder to define.

Take "I'm Gonna Make Her Love Me" by Jim Ford. This is my personal standout track, it propels itself forward with an almost rock n' roll groove. Some of the songs are much slower and this, I think, is where the compilation falls a bit flat. Take "Street People" by Bobby Charles. This is an incredibly slow and reptitive song with a seemingy very small number of actual lyrics.

All in all I think there are enough high points to make this worth a listen, and it may just open your mind to a whole new genre of music.
on 10 October 2012
As with the previous reviewer's, you cannot fault this compilation on quality of track choice.

Where this compilation falls down is the ridiculous copyright protection method, so you can't actually play the last track on a computer. It plays fine until around 50% in then it just jams up your player. I even tried ripping the last track as an MP3 using dBpoweramp's "defective by design setting" and it still won't let you make a perfect copy of the last track.

Because of this annoyance I requested that Amazon sent me a replacement disc before I knew it was a copyright issue, which - surprise, surprise - had exactly the same problem. How stupid it is to stop people listening to the full CD on different playback equipment and making it impossible for people to rip their own purchased CD to their MP3 player! A complete waste of time for both Amazon and the end-user.

Maybe it's their way of making you buy another download copy just for your iPod or MP3 player.

As I previously stated, you can't fault the content, but I would now be put off buying another compilation from Light In The Attic Records.

Sort this out quickly, we're not all criminals!