Customer reviews

Loved it
on 8 December 2015
fine
on 25 July 2017
Great indie music. Some clinkers of tracks on that album.
on 17 March 2013
It's a good album and it's got some excellent tracks but you do need to get to know it. I'm still getting to know it.
VINE VOICEon 18 October 2013
I notice previous reviewers confessing to ages of 48 and 42 - well, I'm 65 and Jake Bugg has rocketed straight into my top 10 all time favourite singers. What is it about the age profile of his fans 48/42/65 ??!! Is he getting the young music lovers too - I presume so; I certainly hope so. He must be!!

I first saw Jake Bugg singing "Broken" on the Graham Norton show earlier this year and was mesmerised, stunned. After that I didn't see, hear or think of him again until a couple of weeks ago when I saw him singing "Song About Love" (from his upcoming 2nd album) on Jools Holland. Again, I was amazed at how powerful he was. So I decided to look further and did some research on You Tube where there are several different recordings of "Broken" and one of "Country Song" and some others - all of which are wonderful. There is one particular video on "VEVO" of him singing "Broken" in an American bar / restaurant, obviously a fully staged and choreographed video, but it is still extraordinarily moving. I urge anyone who hasn't already seen it to look at it as soon as possible.

So, is he good? Well, obviously I think so. The only other two times I remember being so instantly transfixed on hearing an artist for the first time was when I heard Janis Ian singing "Jesse" and "At Seventeen" on the Shirley Bassey TV show in 1976 (I told you I was 65!!) and then the first time I heard Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" around the same time - ahhh, the 70's was a pretty good decade for music! Of course there have been many more wonderful artists since then, and before, but those two moments were special for me, and hearing Jake Bugg singing "Broken" and "Country Song" for the first time were equally thunderbolt moments.

So, I bought the CD which arrived from Amazon 3 days ago and is now playing all the time, and I mean all the time: in the house, on the computer, on my iPod and on the car stereo. My wife loves him too and she is very serious about her music. And I agree with other reviewers, a lot of this is derivative, but as someone else said, who isn't? and who cares? He is superb. Full stop. And he is only 19!!!! My God! - he wrote "Country Song" when he was 16 !!!!! We are witnessing the start of someone who will be as famous and as important to music as Dylan, and he is just as talented.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2012
48 years old and thought I'd heard it all until I walked through HMV and they were playing what I later knew to be 'two fingers' - liked it so much I wanted to ask them to play it again but left it until I got home and my daughter had Spotify playing and she asked me how old I thought the singer was - well he sounded like Bob Dylan but held a better note so I suggested 30's - turned out to be another track from Jake Bugg's debut album and, wow, what a revelation; obviously very derivative (as everything is when you think about it) but it turns out he's 18 and from a Nottingham council estate (apparently) and manages to sound like a mix of Dylan, Noel Gallagher, Simon Garfunkel, Lonnie Donegan and even a little bit of Johnny Cash.... writes his own songs....and every one of them is a killer....simple tales beautifully and clearly told with old school musical backdrops (and I mean old school - late 50's and 60's) - buy this, turn the volume up loud, sit back and smile - music lives and not with Simon Cowell, thank God. Well done lad - just keep your feet on the ground and remember those 2 fingers when the devil/devils come calling....
1414 Comments| 293 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
When I first heard Jake Bugg's hit single 'Two Fingers' being playing on the radio, my initial thought as: ''This doesn't sound like the work from a manufactured act that you hear on ITV's tired talent show 'The X Factor' (the kind of which are usually instructed to cover a few songs by other people, have hits with them, but are soon forgotten about in two years), this is real talent and good music.'' I then found out that I was listening to teenager Jake Bugg, and immediately went out and bought his self-titled first album, which went straight into the UK charts at number one.

Some of the other excellent tracks on this album, which is likely to be considered a classic someday, include the catchy lead single 'Lightening Bolt, and the haunting 'Seen It All', which sees Jake describing in an interview style about what happened on a night out that turned bad. Another of the many highlights is the much gentler, folksy 'Simple As This', the story about a young man searching for some meaning to his life, he experimented with drink and drugs, travelled around but never found the meaning in any of that. The lyrics to those two latter songs, and indeed to all of the others really are clever and impressive.

Nottingham born Jake obviously has much life experience in order to vividly describe as much as what he does in his songs. If I had to chose my favourite out of this highly pleasing set, I think that I'd have to pick 'Somebody Told Me', which tells the story of a boy who fell in love with a girl but never told her so, she now has a boyfriend, leaving the lad grief stricken. The dark and moody storyteller, 'Ballad of Mr Jones' is another real high point.

With his unusual voice and singing style, the feel of this all the more appealing album is certainly a combination of Buddy Holly and Bob Dylan, as is the deliberate old fashioned musical style, and bare bones, stripped-back material. The whole album is unquestionably five star material, and the work of a very talented young musician. I can't recommend 'Jake Bugg' highly enough, and eagerly await his future releases.
on 24 February 2013
Jake sounds like a young Bob Dylan, my hubby bought it, and played it for me, I was prepared to do the usual "very nice dear" routine, but I really enjoyed listening to it, so much that we played it 3 times in a row! Buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 26 April 2013
would recommend to most ages, songs hold powerful messages, brilliant voice, love the sound and the songs, my favourite album, listen to it all the time
on 18 August 2014
I play it over and over great music