on 13 March 2017
Strangely, I've never really heard much of Bob Seger's music apart from the big hits here in the UK.

Bought this on a whim and i'm so glad i did. Quality! Now one of a select few cds which i keep with me in the car.
on 17 March 2017
old favourites
on 26 April 2017
Excellent value double album with some great hits I had not heard before making even more enjoyable.
on 10 July 2012
Always been a fan of Bob Seger, his unique talent allows him to switch so easily between hard rock and soft ballad type songs. This brilliant double album is a mix that should appeal to most people.
on 22 November 2011
For some odd reason, the catalog of Bob Seger (BS) was more or less limited to his greatest hits compilation from the early 90s, taking advantage of people buying anew music they had on record LPs in the more recent CD format. Like other incomplete compilations from that period, e.g. Journey's Greatest Hits, it sold many million copies simply because those were the only sensible releases for people to buy (unlike Bob Seger, Journey's catalog was available but most people simply went for the Greatest Hits package).

A few glaring omissions in the previous BS compilation included Fire Lake, Rock and Roll Never Forgets, Katmandu, Shame on the Moon and his biggest hit, Shakedown (he said he hated it at that time). BS selected those tracks himself, not always the perfect judge on what the rest of the world considered his best moments. These omitted tracks are all here. Almost half, 12 tracks split evenly between his 3 biggest albums (Night Moves, Stanger in Town & Against the Wind), cover the 26 tracks in total. The rest is mostly radio and fan favorites. What you have here is thus a rather complete BS collection.

There are still a few, albeit minor hits missing, such as Even Now, The Real Love and American Storm. Also, his post 80s work is practically non-existent. Since there is plenty of space left on each CD, one could ask for a little more. I, however, don't mind that much (do mainly miss The Real Love, a great song), with the length of 2 sides of an LP just about the right length in one listening session of BS for me.

I recommend paying a little more for this set as opposed to the single CD version since this one is way more complete track wise. The old version also had terrible acoustics (maybe an indication of the sloppiness of that compilation)with a flat bright feel , something that has been smoothed on this version. This is, finally, the decent Seger compilation.
44 Comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2012
Bob Seger is criminally under-rated in the UK, although to my knowledge he has rarely, if ever, performed here. As has been previously mentioned, the first attempt to compile his greatest songs back in 1995 was far from satisfactory. This is a much better representation of the legendary American rocker's output, featuring at least a dozen classics including the brilliant Hollywood Nights (the best driving song ever!), Old Time Rock'n Roll, Night Moves, Still The Same and Mainstreet. There are some good live songs plus lesser known album tracks such as The Fire Down Below, a blistering mid-tempo rocker on the subject of prostitution!

So why not 5 stars? firstly, the definitive (and rather beautiful) Seger ballad We've Got Tonight is an abridged version which omits the 'quiet' refrain near the end: this seems careless! Secondly, Even Now, one of his biggest hits and with a splendid intro, is not included: Seger must really hate this song as it doesn't feature on any of his compilations: I really cannot imagine why! Thirdly, The Fire Inside, a consistently good album from 1991, is not represented at all, while instead the CD is back-loaded with a handful of forgettable covers and Christmas fillers, none of which are worth listening to in the slightest! Still, this is by far the best Bob Seger compilation available, and for that reason I recommend it. Perfect for playing at full volume as you drive down the M3!
1212 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2012
Somehow, Bob Seger passed me by for years without coming across his music. Then I was watching one of the music channels, and they showed a live version of 'Hollywood Nights'. It blew me away, and I ordered this album on the strength of that one song. I have not been disappointed. I like it so much, the first CD has been in my car CD player for about 4 weeks now. 'Hollywood Nights' remains my favourite, but 'Night Moves' and 'Down on Main Street' run it close. When you add the likes of 'Turn the Page' it makes for a very enjoyable listen. Bob has a great voice, who to me, reminds me of cross between Neil Young and Rod Stewart. Whoever he may remind you of, I would definitely recommend buying this album. The only regret is I wish 'Rosalie' was included, as I have this song by Thin Lizzy.
on 1 August 2012
I'm perplexed at the needless stinginess of the record company; with each of the discs less than an hour in length there are other songs which deserved inclusion without omitting some of the, in my opinion, less deserving. Everybody has their own favourites but any Bob Seger fan might have expected to see "Wreck This Heart", "Real At The Time", "Feel Like A Number", "Till It Shines", "Long Twin Silver Line", "Take A Chance", "Even Now" and "Somewhere Tonight" in this collection - the pity is that there was room for them, plus maybe a couple more! Now that would have been a real "5 star" double disc.

I know that compact discs no longer cost top dollar but this release could have represented much better value and been an encouragement for newer fans to acquire some of Bob's back catalogue. "Old Time Rock 'n' Roll" was named by the Amusement and Music Operators Association (in the USA) as the most played record ever by a male artist and is ranked at #2 on their Top 40 juke box singles of all time; that's some achievement.

This release was an opportunity for the record company, via an advertising campaign, to capitalize on the song's status and to bring Bob's music to the attention of the masses; an opportunity wasted. Only three stars from me for this package.
44 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Although I usually play most of my music via the music streaming service Spotify for convenience these days there are some artists that are very poorly represented on this platform – Bob Seger being one of them. Most of my Bob Seger album collection is still on my original vinyl versions which are great sounding – but not so easy to play as CDs or streaming services. When I noticed that this CD collection, Bob Seger - Ultimate Hits: Rock and Roll Never Forgets, also AutoRips as an MP3 version I thought that it would be the best way to to be able to own the tracks and be able to play them wirelessly. The collection has been around for a few years now but it is still about the most comprehensive collection of Bob Seger's work currently available. Most of Bob's best known tracks are included - although there is plenty of empty space on the two CDs that could have been filled – I would have liked “Even Now” included. Still, at less than eight pounds for a nicely produced double CD containing 26 tracks - that AutoRips too – then Bob's Ultimate Hits deserves five stars for value even if it could and should have been a bit more comprehensive.
on 18 January 2015
Years ago I bought a couple of Bob Seger albums and loved them. Later on I transferred the vinyl to CD format in a less than perfect transformation and they eventually got put to one side. A few days ago I heard Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton singing 'We've got tonight' which inspired me to hop aboard Amazon and see what Seger had been offering recently. This double CD looked the perfect fit; a recent remastering of the top studio and live songs. 26 songs for under £10. After hunting around for something to tip the purchase over £10 and get free delivery I made the purchase.

Even before the CD has hit the door mat (together with four plastic moustaches for a £1!) I have been able to download the MP3s and enjoy them. The songs are still great and the audio quality is better than the vinyl days though purists may argue the opposite. If you liked Seger back then and need the latest format playable on 21st century equipment then this is the purchase.

When the CD pack arrives I may update the review but it's the songs that I bought and it was a good way to spend £10. If anyone wants 4 plastic moustaches let me know...