Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 November 2013
Passion Pit first came to attention via their excellent (if not slightly trippy) 2008 single 'Sleepyhead'. As soon as I heard 'Take A Walk' early this year, I downloaded it and played it at least twelve times back to back, what a tune! On the strength of that track, I decided to buy the album 'Gossanmer', and I'm glad I did.

Other excellent songs include the cute and catchy 'Carried Away', the more serious, storytelling 'Cry Like A Ghost' and 'I'll Be Alright', a great slice of modern pop. If you enjoy electronic indie dance music, you'll really enjoy this quirky, up beat album. Despite a few sub-par tracks (hence the four stars) the repeat button was made for the very good songs on CDs like this.
on 27 July 2012
Even after a few days this one has crawled into my head, put up curtains and redirected its mail (Which was like the first album, so don't know why I'm surprised)

Maybe it is a bit less catchy than 'Manners', or maybe in a different way. The squeaky, gurgling oohs & aahs on 'I'll be alright' are fun enough to make a traffic warden smile. 'Carried away' does what it says on the tin.

The whole album has choruses you can see from Space.

Distribute some of your hard earned to these people, they deserve it.
on 23 July 2012
It's quite funny how living in the second decade of the 21st century can alter your perspective about the art you consume. I feel like I'm constantly inundated with hyped reviews about music I'd be foolish to ignore and when the music itself is so easily accessible, I inevitably click play on that shiny button that spells out stream. This is a good thing in many ways, as more choice means more power to the consumer, so if you decide to actually pay for an album after you've already listened to it on a site like spotify or NPR, you know you're definitely going to enjoy it.

There are those occasions where a band can fall folly to misinterpretation by our new culture of instant gratification though, where you might enjoy an album after a first play but still neglect to shell out for it. This is something that i'm shamefully guilty of with Passion Pit's debut album Manners, I thought it was an intriguing happy go lucky pop album with a few excellent singles when i streamed it. But if I'd actually bought the album I wouldn''t be blithely throwing adjectives like happy at Michael Angelakos and co. as there's some really dark undertones on there that only a cursory listen could lead me to miss.

With the recent article in Pitchfork coming out a couple of days ago highlighting the problems with mental health and depression that Manners latently hinted the frontman might be experiencing, I went into this record with a whole new outlook hoping to appreciate all it's potent lyricism and indefatigable pop prowess. Unfortunately I feel I've invested my undivided attention into the wrong Passion Pit album. Manners although sugary and larger than life, rarely felt overblown in the same way Gossamer does. The lyrics whilst revelatory and quite touching, can at times feel impenetrable with Angelakos prone to making one too many grand and contradictory statements, that sometimes feel a little too much like adolescent diary entries.

The music suffers from the same excess to, with every song on here aiming for cathartic euphoria you almost become inured to all the emotional bombast long before they end. I was hoping for Passion Pit to build on their impressive debut by scaling back some of the noisier elements for Gossamer, maturing into a band that's capable of introspection opposed to endless explosions. There are moments where their hyperactivity works fantastically however, like "I'll be alright" where Michael Angelakos bravely acknowledges his destructiveness may be harming the very person he loves the most, so he's giving them permission to walk away.

The music on this song feels genuinely heart-warming, with the energetic instrumentation helping to reinforce Michael's tender sentiments. "Constant Conversations" is another success story that marries College dropout's soul to Dirty Projectors harmonising, creating one of best R&B songs this year. I don't wish to mar the judgements of anybody who was really looking forward to picking this up, as I should mention the production is immaculate and there are other notable highlights on Gossamer to. I just feel as though the band could've produced an outstanding album here if they just showed a little more self-restraint when they were putting a lot of these songs together, to borrow the cliche sometimes less is more.
on 9 February 2016
Bought it for my sister as I had already listened to "Take a Walk" and "Carried Away", which are both very catchy and feel good songs which put me at ease. I can also listen to the album and download it through Amazon Music which is really nice, as you can buy albums as presents but still have them yourself and listen to them! Would recommend this album if you like Passion Pit's style of music!
on 25 March 2015
I didn't know Passion Pit before buying this album and got it on the strength of Take A Walk, and their tune for Twilight. I'm really glad I did because it's an excellent record. I don't mind admitting that I'm more interested in the melody rather than analysing lyrics, and this album has several very strong tunes. Not My Fault I'm Happy is probably my favourite track. I love the female harmonies that run through the album like a theme.
on 23 February 2013
Gossamer is just another wonderful work by american band Passion Pit. It's very different from their earlier material - Michael seems to be getting some new perspective on his life and maybe some more empathy towards the people around him, so the lyrics here are far less self-centered that they were in previous works. What I enjoyed the most about this album is the bittersweetness all over it; you listen to the beat and you think it's a happy song, but the message the lyrics are sending is something unexpected. Not quite sad, just very self-aware.
It's a really good album, and I think a lot of people will relate to it, deeply. I definetely have.
on 26 July 2012
It seems so long ago now when "A chunk of change" and "Manners" hit my headphones...and what a refreshing sound it was. After the much prolonged anticipation for their next album, I'm afraid to say it just does not hit the spot like the first two helpings from this brilliant band. This album is a grower and contains some great songs but not a patch on previous excellently crafted songs from this superb outfit. Sorry but I was expecting much more as the bar has been set very high and though it is certainly not a flop, it has not got the unique sound that I crave from this band. Had I listened to most of these tracks on the radio before getting the album I would struggle to identify them as Passion Pit songs...just nice run of the mill tunes.
on 4 March 2013
I've been a Passion Pit fan ever since I first heard 'Sleepyhead' in my friend's car years ago. I like this new album too, favourites being 'Carried Away', 'Hideaway' and 'Love is Greed'. I'd recommend this album to anyone who has liked their previous work or who is interested in electronic/melodic type indie pop. Also their lyrics are pretty ace :)
on 25 August 2012
Enjoyed their previous albums but some songs hit and some slightly missed the mark. Wasn't sure which bracket this one would fall into but after listening to first 3 songs loved them all. For me their best to date and one of my albums I keep listening to. I only write reviews when I am really excited about the material and this is one. Check out tracks 1,2,3,6,7,8 and 11
on 23 July 2012
After a looooooong wait, I finally got Gossamer today. Great vocals, I particularly enjoy Take A Walk, the song heading the album. It talks about Michael Angelakos' experiences in the past 2 years, giving the songs really meaningful lyrics. Out of the 2 albums out, I would say this is the best. :-D