Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 July 2012
The latest Fabric release caught my attention for two reasons; firstly, it's Guy Gerber; secondly, it's ONLY Guy Gerber, or 'Guy Gerber featuring..', one show here. Like Ricardo Villalobos' Fabric mix, Guy presents his own, as of yet unreleased music, with a few collaborations with Clarian North, Lady Falkor and Deniz Kurtel.

I decided this would be well worth the gamble; after all, how often is it that Gerber's records feature on other DJ's mixes and his productions are among the outstanding moments of their sets? Not rarely, that's for sure. So a set of nearly pure Gerber from start to finish could either show just how consistently good he is, or that possibly that he's more hit an miss than his frequent appearence on other tracklists would suggest. The outcome is a pleasing one.. Guy's deep, soulful prog sound is complemented by his eye for constructing a fluid, smooth set by ordering the tracks just right. The set's feel is not at all dissimular to Sasha's groundbreaking Involver series, in particular involver 2.

The tune of the album for me is 'The Golden Sun and The Silver Moon', which has a trully infectious melody accompanied by echoing male vocals, a little reminiscent of UNKLE's productions. Another favourite would be the rhythmic 'One Day in May' which just oozes class. I've opted to give this fabric 4 (or perhaps 4.5) rather than 5 stars because I felt it just lost my interest a little in a patch nearing it's close, and perhaps it needed a touch more variety in it's mid-late stages. Still, I'd definitely recommend this album to any fan of Sasha, Digweed or Nick Warren, or any other true prog-head out there, for Gerber really is in their premier division as a producer and DJ.

Verdict: 4.5 stars.
on 5 September 2012
This is the first time I've ever reviewed a purchase on Amazon, but I was moved to by the scope, beauty and ambition of this amazing album. Forget dance music genres, this album transcends music in all its forms, with amazing transitions, harmonies and arrangements.

Tracks 3 and 7 are the highlights for me, but it does a disservice to the rest of the album to single them out at the expense of the rest. The fact it was written by Guy alone in such a short space of time gives the mix a seamless quality, while bringing you out in an idiotic grin / screwed up "that's cool" face at regular intervals.

Please, please, buy it!
on 12 August 2016
At first I didn't really get the fuss. It was good but it didn't seem that good. However, I have just been listening through some awesome headphones and just realized that this is THE MOST astonishing mix I didn't know I had. It is quite simply an astounding recording of beauty, finesse and style. My proverbial hat goes off to you Mr Gerber. I love this!

It starts well. Slowly, but swiftly building and setting you up nicely for what's to come. Into track 2, which is fun, dancey, funky, gorgeous.

"Shady Triangle" melts in and the beat lifts, then "The Naked Hairdresser" adds a little style before a stunning starting crescendo greets your ears with the magnificent "Ribbons Turn To Chains". A swift pulsating diversion with "The Rhythm" drips into a delightful piece of intelligent funky prog house which in turn melds seamlessly with "Howling Man". This track has such a powerful uplifting vibe you cannot fail to move to it. Amazing!

The only fault I can pick. And it is so minor a fault it's almost not worth it....... The vocal in the "My Medicine" track doesn't seem to me to suit the mix. It annoys me for some reason. The track itself, when the vocals aren't repeating, is another fantastic set of beats, it's just that one vocal. That simply is it!

Others have commented how this sounds like Sasha. It really does. It sounds exactly like Sasha at his peak in the 90's and early 00's. There is creativity, genius mixing, sequencing and astonishing build ups with equally rhythmic and dance inducing crescendos. Buy it, simply buy it as soon as you can!
on 3 August 2012
In a time when there are so many DJ mixes out there, that many are virtually disposable and after a couple of listens are relegated to the mp3 graveyard of the backup hard drive, I think this may stand the test of time.

On my first listen I was quite impressed with these new tracks and there were a few hairs on the back of the neck moments during the 'A Blade Through my Piano' and 'One day in May'. This immediately had me a bit worried as typically it takes me a few listens to really get into a mix CD and feel that I fully appreciate it so I was worried this was going to be one of those mixes to forget.

However on repeat listens it just gets better and better. The basslines, haunting vocals and melodies come together in a beautiful silky mix that has enough variation to stop you getting bored and keep you interested while blended together in a way that you aren't aware the tracks are changing.

Is it house? Is it techno? Is it prog? Who cares! It's just fantastic electonic music, skillfully put together.

I think this the best commercially available mix I have bought since the Joris Voorn Balance.
on 4 December 2013
Very rarely have I put a CD on for the first time and been absolutely hooked from the first track until the last. This is simply stunning from start to finish; a very real journey through this producers mind. I have hundreds of EDM sets and releases spanning 20 years but this is up there with the very, very best. I cannot stop returning to it, whether I'm at home, in the car or on a walk somewhere.

Utterly brilliant release.
on 27 July 2012
My God....this is simply off the charts - been listening to it continuously. Synthy cosmic techno. A contemporary classic. Just buy it.
on 23 July 2012
I do not think I know of another set that I was utterly gripped by and entranced from the first track. This is just simply outstanding !!!
on 4 April 2013
A really cool affair here from Israels very own Guy Gerber. Really enjoying this 'guys' sound at the moment. Very cool progressive beat that build up into release of twisted tech house that keeps you listening throughout the mix. Really well put together album mixed to perfection and well worth the purchase.
on 29 July 2012
Guy Gerber has made appearances on Sven Vath's Cocoon label previously, but this disc has more 'soul' and depth than many of the tracks I have come across from him in recent years.A lovely flow of tracks on this Fabric release for the quieter moments you have to hand.
Love it.
on 4 September 2013
This was recommended to me by a good friend. For someone getting into the dance world this sets the stalls high.... Get involved