Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More

on 31 August 2017
One of the best thrillers I have ever read. Scandinavian Nordic Noir books are extremely good- and I have read many but this certainly tops the list. Not only an extremely good, intriguingly to the end , but very well
written and translated into English.
I shall recommend this to my friends and murder for myself another book by the same author.
Shirley Stevens.
on 4 February 2014
As always, quite riveting. Good characterisation & setting. I hope you have all been watching "The Bridge", getting into the Nordic mindset
on 15 September 2014
Nice quirky story, interesting.
on 31 December 2014
I don't understand how this book gets three and a half stars. Most people seemed to hate it, as I did.

The translation is American English, "different than", gallons, feet and inches and such. Sohlberg, the detective seems to be a very grumpy person. He complains about the Norwegian habit of addressing people by their first name, but is longing to get back to Mormon America. He takes many swipes at Norwegian police, who he seems to regard as corrupt and useless. He complains that someone had to go to Sweden for treatment for a particular medical condition. They should be able to get everything in Norway.

He complains about the jail system in Norway, which is the envy of the western world with a 20% re-offending rate compared to Britain's 60%. But he appears to want a system that extracts revenge, presumably one of our basest instincts. He also complains about "our Pakistani immigrants" who apparently were involved in a shoot-out. Nothing about the right wing Norwegian who murdered so many young people a couple of years ago. In fact Sohlberg comes over as a right wing nationalist who dislikes modern Norway, preferring Viking Norway.

The ending is very contrived with the evidence pulled out of nowhere.
on 5 April 2014
Norwegian Inspector Sohlberg who seems to be a rather pretentious investigator is asked to locate a young boy who has been missing for over a year. The writing appears stilted and characterisation a little lacking. However it has an imaginative, interesting plot therefore future books hold promise. This is book 2 not book 1 The Gift is the first one.
on 24 March 2014
Like the earlier review by Angie I feel the style is weak, although this might arise from the translation. The plot is adequate and at <£1 good value.

The author, purportedly a lawyer, takes a number of almost adolescent swipes at the Norwegian establishment. One wonders whether his/her? career has suffered.

The pedestrian relationship between Sohlberg and his sidekick could do with livening up, she appears very two dimensional
on 26 March 2014
I really enjoyed this. The author's a new one to me and I chose it on the back of enjoying so many of the Nordic TV shows we've recently been treated to. I wasn't disappointed in the least. Sohlberg himself is quite a character, and, being older than the usual cop protagonist, has an interesting past of his own we get to learn about as the story progresses.
I'll definitely read more in the series. There were a few very amusing remarks in it,too.
However, it loses a star for me because a lot was missed out in the translation or editing exercise.
It annoyed me initially that in the introduction itself his name is spelt Harold AND Harald. That wasn't a great beginning for me. I don't know which is correct but on ensuing pages the word was spelled hyyte then hytte. Usual was spelt as ususal and peek as peak and discernible as discernable-ouch. Then Alta Soft morphed into altasoft on the page after-just a bit too careless for my liking.Smooch was also used where mooch was meant.
There were a lot of tense mistakes-such as hanged up/digged into and aggravatingly, the apostrophe in parents' was misused almost every time as parent's. Yet I did spot it was used correctly at least once so clearly the difference was known and nobody bothered to proofread it properly.I realise the author went in favour of American as opposed to English spellings but the repeated use of kidnaping I still don't think is correct. He also avoids using commas and you do miss them, especially in lines like "she traded me the old beat-up model...".
A pity so much seemed to get lost in translation although, in fairness, I've seen as many (if not more) mistakes in stories where English is supposedly the native language !!
The ending was a real shock one for me and I can say no more as I don't do spoilers. You'll just have to read it yourself.
on 7 October 2014
I Should have taken more notice of previous reviewers. I almost abandoned this book on a number of occasions. However,I persevered until the bitter end. Terrible translation. Unbelievable characters. Poor plotting. Turgid dialogue. No real motive behind the crime. Long winded drivel. Potential for future books need to be given to an editor next time. Jens Amundsen is a pseudonym of the author apparently who is a lawyer using this name
to protect his livelihood and clients in the day job! There's a clue!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 July 2012
I am half way through a book called Death On Pilot Hill which I bought last autumn for 86p. It had no reviews but at the price I thought it was worth a go, but not so worth a go that I didn't read some other books I fancied more. Now I'm reading it and I like it enough that I thought I'd check out the author's page for more books. This is the same book under a different title and price.
I think the book I'm reading is a steal at 86p but not sure it's worth £6.41, even with chapters of the next novel included.
I've rated it at 3 stars because of the price hike - the publishers are taking the mick. Storywise so far I'd give it **** as I find the 34% I've read so far intriguing.
on 25 June 2014
This may have something to do with the quality of the translation, but this had the feel of being a first attempt at writing a novel. It is very linear, and the characters require much more depth and the plot more richness in order for the book to be enjoyable.