Customer reviews

The Happiest Baby on the Block [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 17 May 2017
Wish I'd seen this earlier!!! It's a short video, to the point and necessarily repetitive. You really can't NOT learn the tecniques if you watch. So any gripes about it being dated are irrelavant because you just paid a small fee for the best parenting workshop you could ever attend. I'd tried all the tecniques before I saw the video but something clicked watching this. This should be compulsary viewing for all parents before they leave the hospital!
on 8 March 2016
I probably got this when my baby was a bit old for it. For a newborn only really and you would need to start the techniques as soon as you baby pops out! I will note my baby was also a large boy! (9lb 4oz) so I don't think some of the swaddling techniques would have worked for me. My cousin used this and loved it so I guess it works for some and not for others.
on 20 March 2017
If you've been reading about calming and soothing your baby using Harvey Karps methods, this is a quick and cheap way to see what the text means- and seeing the technique makes a lot more sense. The video is short and dated but useful nonetheless.I found that the 5s calming method worked for me and my baby!
on 4 July 2017
Definitely worth watching! I've used all 5 tricks at 3am, a must see for all new parents.
on 5 July 2017
We were at our wits end with colic - reading a book was not an option but the 15 minute DVD gave us some tips to cope. It's not rocket science but when you're desperate it helps!
on 2 April 2017
Good informative DVD however looks very dated now. Baby hasn't arrived just yet so not sure if the techniques will work.
on 24 August 2009
My newborn daughter refused to settle for the first two weeks of her life.She was exhausted and screaming for hours at a stretch, and my husband and I weren't much better! At our wits end one night we searched online for ways to settle babies and found Dr Karp's website. Highly sceptical but desperate we tried his 5 S's method and were stunned when my daughter not only calmed down immediately but fell asleep! We ordered this dvd (and the book) moments later.
on 18 December 2009
I bought a few books in preparation for the birth of my baby, but only bought this DVD about two weeks after he was born. I wish I'd watched it before the birth as it would have helped me through thtat first night in hospital when he was screaming the ward down and keeping everyone awake! Rather than the unhelpful phrase "comfort your baby", it actually teaches you some techniques to be able to do this. Focusing on the first three months of life, it gives some helpful suggestions about things to try to stop your baby crying, explains what is going on in your little one's head when he cries, and helps you to understand him a bit better. I cannot recommend it highly enough, and have since bought a copy for a friend who is expecting.
on 26 September 2009
I liked this. Dr Karp has a great manner and is easy to watch, you can believe he is a good doctor.. It is also nice to see real parents (complete with messy homes in the background!). I think the methods are really useful, and certainly go a long way to calming a crying baby, although they're obviously not always going to be the answer, eg when you're out and about with no means to swaddle baby. my daughter (5 weeks old) certainly likes the shushing and jiggling in particular. I liked that there was essentially no discussion of childcare theory (as in pushing either for AP or "cry it out" methods, since I've found that authors who prefer one or other method can be a bit hard to stomach in their zeal for it. Loved the FAQ section at the end also. All in all a good buy, and should be compatible with your personal parenting theories.
on 24 May 2017
The guy is a genius! Yet one should be aware that swaddling a baby during night sleep can be dangerous, as it increases the risk of SIDS. Use swaddling only for fussing babies and keep a close look on them.