on 3 August 2016
I guess you need to cut this some slack as anything that's 300 years old and still getting read has got to have something going for it, but in my journey through reading the '100 greatest novels of the world' , this has been the least enjoyable so far. The third of the four sections is a chore, in particular.
Still a captivating idea and brilliant imagery, which is why it gets filmed/ stuck in children's version so often, but dull at times, I fear.
on 22 May 2015
I had never read 'Gulliver's travels' before and felt the time had come to do so. I am sure that at the time it was the great Political satire it was meant to be but times change and I'm afraid I feel and know I missed a lot of nuances and points. I am finding that more and more of the Classic books written within the last two centuries are practically unreadable for me as the social ethos has changed so much that the meanings and actions in them are beyond my understanding.
Sorry Mr. Swift!
on 30 June 2016
A book I should have read years agao, but am glad that all I knew about it was his adventures in Lilliput and Brobdingnag.

A curious two other voyages are covered in the book which evolves into a rather caustic satire on life in Swift's England.

Interesting, but for me a little dated and, towards the end, decidedly odd.
on 5 September 2013
Recently, I've been tempted by the chaep (free?) and easy access to classic books on Kindle to re-read a number of those I read/studied at school and university. Gulliver's Travels is the one that's really stood out as better than I remembered from childhood (prose too difficult) and university (so much cross-checking of historical and political references). This time I've read purely for pleasure and it's been a real treat. The only thing that's sad is how little human behaviour, especially in politics and religion, has changed in 300 years - the satire is just as pertinent today as it was in Swift's time.
on 29 June 2014
As an 18 year old reading this book for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it. I'm going off study English Literature and wanted to read some classics, including children's books.

As Gulliver visits Lilliput, the book is very engaging and humorous, as with Brobdingnag, where his circumstances are reversed. However, as the book progresses it loses it's originality and becomes too ludicrous, as if Swift is trying too hard. It felt like a chore to finish it.
It's such a shame as it begins so well.
on 22 May 2017
Tried to read it again after the childhood days but didn't find it as exciting anymore. I guess age plays a part there.
on 8 February 2017
This book is so different from my childhood memories of it that I only managed to compete reading it out of sheer stuborness
on 27 April 2014
Oh! how lovely to delve back into a book I enjoyed so much when I was young. I could vaguely remember some of the kingdoms visited, especially the last destination. This is a wonderful fantasy without all the pyrotechnics of more modern books in this genre.
A truly wonderful classic.
on 31 August 2013
The language is a bit old fashioned and also some of the translating from print to digital meant that a few words were not correct, it was a good read even though some of the words were very hard to pronounce but the built in dictionary helped on the device.
on 8 June 2017
Excellent fantasy tale of old. Well worth the read.