on 22 April 2014
Just the thing for children before they go to sleep, and the light, switched off!
But I loved them. So dark! Were children of hardier stock in the 19th century? Perhaps 'seen and not heard' didn't apply

to screaming.
Oh, If I Could But Shiver! A boy warms himself from the burning bodies of hanged men! And just in case, your child is

still demanding chocolate from supermarket checkputs, our hero nails a beast's feet to the floor. Oh, then there's the

body in a coffin paragraph... . Not so much, 'wait until I get you home', as: I'll read Grimm's to you.
Weird and wonderful. Not recommended for those of a nervous disposition, or children under thirty-five.
14 people found this helpful
on 28 August 2013
It's been a long, long time since I first read Grimms Fairy stories but the 'chills' are so familiar. I was very young and clearly remember being quite frightened by some of the tales, puzzled by others but facinated all the same. The stories were without a doubt disturbing to innocent young minds but they were also an uncomfortable education in the ways of the world. Didn't know how lucky I was as a child to own this book bcos reading those tales again now I can recognise the values they impressed on me all those years ago and I'm reminded of how much the world has changed.
Sadly don't think they would be considered suitable reading for todays children, who seem to be protected from reality and all things scary. Not much evidence of fairy dust and pretty white clouds in this book its stern and quite 'grown -up' really but I still found it wonderful to read and reminise.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 January 2016
I bought the Kindle version of this book and it’s all the fairy tales you may know that have been told and re-told over the years, minus the sugar-coating they have received from some quarters (I’m looking at you, Disney!).

The tales are fantastically gruesome in parts, and the text reads like you’d expect from a Victorian-era story. When I have kids, I’ll definitely be reading these tales to them and relishing in their horror at what happens to some of the characters. After all, I enjoyed these weird and wonderful stories when I was young, so should they!

As these are public domain, they are available free to download. Thanks Amazon!
on 18 June 2017
Have not heard of Grimms for years and this was a free download with narration, great to let the kids listen to a story before bedtime, as the stories are quite short.
One person found this helpful
on 3 December 2013
It was free so I downloaded it for my new Paperwhite.

The book I assume is translated from old German and literally translated so it reads in old English, but that's fine as they are folklore from 200 years ago. As one reads them, you have to distance yourself from the ruinous Disney. Don't expect morals to come leaping out at you, although you could "discuss" the meaning of the fables at the end.

Each story are short and once you get into the written style, they are easy reads.

Have fun!
on 17 January 2016
great book. This was my first taste of the brothers Grimm in book form, and I was pleasantly surprised to experience how raw and twisted some of these 'original' fairytales were. It's also a shame to reflect on just how much these stories have been downplayed by the likes of Disney to confirm to society. As a kindle edition this worked perfectly. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because it wasn't the complete edition of all the brothers Grimm stories.
on 11 May 2017
A good bit of light hearted reading, many of the stories are familiar either in title or content but have been 'improved' upon by the likes of Disney etc, but it's good to read the original tales
One person found this helpful
on 31 January 2013
Only a short review coming. While each story individually is as good as ever, so many of the stories are the same as each other but with minor differences. Thumbling and Tom Thumb spring to mind; they both are tiny children who wander off and get used by thieves. They even both get eaten by cows. Most stories in this book have these connections.
Still, they're worth a watch to see the origins of the tales and (most famously) Disney films. This is one of those cases where the movies are better than the books, but considering they're free...why not give them a go?
Hope this helped :)
on 21 February 2015
I have to admit my ignorance. I assumed all the standard Christmas Pantomimes were separate stories but a lot come from this book.
The first written form of "little red riding HAT" and AshenPuttel (Cinderella). Interesting most of the stories have a much more blood thirsty and dark ending than our Disney versions. Well worth the couple of hours read.
on 12 June 2018
What are we teaching our kids with these?! Enjoyable reads but for the modern day the stories are akin to No. 9!