Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 23 February 2015
Have read this before, but needed it for my university course more than anything.
Little bit hard going, and personally I think a bit difficult if read alone and not as part of a course or teaching system.
on 24 May 2016
I needed Aristotle's poetics for my university class. It not only helped me in my Shakespeare module, but several others and even if you aren't attending university, it is an interesting read. Aristotle's poetics is the basis of many plays and his idea of catharsis is fascinating.
on 6 August 2014
The classic that everyone quotes and few read. But it's very much worth reading to see what Aristotle really said - and if the prose takes a bit of work at times, there are insights that you don't generally get from your average Hollywood guru.
on 28 August 2013
This highlights the problem of an automatic invitation to write a review, of what essentially is a classical classic, which has been translated I do not know how many times. A comparison would be invite a review of Jowett's translation of Plato: the important bit in that is the brilliant - at the time,introductory essays to each dialogue. The translator's acumen is illustrated by the introduction/commentary.
on 25 August 2014
educational and easy to read. 3 out of 5 as I found it to be quite repetitive however has helped with poetics research
on 16 July 2016
The Best reading for any aspiring author. Recommended to me on a writing workshop.
on 22 September 2013
I tried to read this far too young and thought it was baffling.

On returning to it after reading Robert McKee's excellent "Story" I found it fascinating in the extremes.