on 3 March 2014
What more could happen in our future? Children born with fine minds but bodies that are not as with other humans. In the story we learn that such children are not simply got rid of, or kept in seclusion to have everything done for them. In this story, which is one of several that focus on the way forwards for these children to become what is known as brain ships. One such brain is priviledged to choose her own 'brawn' and then accepts assignments from around the worlds that the 'brain element' offering support and guidance to the brawn and those she takes with her. She is known as the title of the book because she does sing on long journeys and some situations.
The book is a cracking good read which will have readers eagerly looking for and buying, the remaining set of books.
on 8 November 2012
Ann McCaffery has a real knack for unique concepts & characters, & 'The Ship Who Sang' is no different.

The concept is of 'Brain' ships; the idea of taking a heavily disabled, but intellectually sound baby & training them to eventually form the 'Brain' of a fleet of space ships who are partnered with an equally highly trained pilot or 'Brawn'.

The idea of overcoming disability was the first thing that grabbed me, at no point do any characters, whatever the rank, consider the disabilities a disadvantage. In fact several times the primary character, Helva, talks about her advantages over the able-bodied.

The plot charts Helva's many missions & successes, through what were originally six short stories, combined into one here. We are introduced to new characters, events etc. as the plot flows through the 'mission' before we move on to the next mission/story. It works wonderfully, you never feel like you're being overloaded with information, but you do get a vivid & full picture of everything that is happening around you.

Having read other McCaffery stories that featured a 'Brain & Brawn' ship, I was delighted to find McCaffery had written a series on them & despite only having owned the book two days, I have already finished it.

McCaffery's style is so easy to follow, despite her unique & quirky ideas, & the narrative flows brilliantly, the concepts are so full & rounded you realise very quickly that a lot of time & effort has been invested by the author. Her characters are always so full of live & personality, & are a big factor in making the story the master class it is.

The Ship Who Sang is an amazingly fresh story for its age, that is easy to get involved with & McCaffery's style is one of vivid description, but fantastic pacing, in fact the only moment of real disappointment was when I finished the book. The fact McCaffery herself has said this is the story she is most proud of, should speak much higher volumes than I can give. Read it, love it.
on 18 October 2015
I first read this book back in the 1970's. 45 years on the book was still as enjoyable as I remembered. If you love Sci Fi Fantasy, Anne McCaffrey is in my opinion one of the best authors ever for this genre. I will re-read the rest of her works now I have been 'hooked' again on her style of writing. Her twist on Sci Fi is unique.
on 30 March 2017
I read this a good few years ago and was surprised and over the moon to be able to do so again on my kindle. A very different kind of love story. As I've been in hospital for a few days it saved me from absolute boredom. Love it.
on 7 November 2017
Had only read the Pern books before but this really struck me. Great story, good pacing, great characters. Well worth the effort. I will now look to grabbing the rest of the series
on 29 March 2018
I love this book. It is thrilling interesting and moving. I would recommend this book to any sci-fi reader unreservedly.
on 5 June 2017
One of her best. Actually the first book of hers I read, many years ago. And no errors in it.
on 15 September 2012
True to Anne McCaffrey's style, the book is a story of a relationship between human and non-human partner, of mental-prowess, of love and relationships. But here, rather than a mental linked between a human and a dragon, it is story of a girl who is bonded to the machine, whose neuron not trained not to walk or crawl, but to ignite the interstellar drive and control gravity. And of course, the story of the partners she had in her service of the 'federation of worlds'.

And as with many of Anne's books, the story's engaging, exciting end with a happy ending I couldn't do without...
on 22 May 2017
Good book if you like gentle sci-fi. Anne Mcaffrey is a brilliant author.
on 6 June 2017