on 18 May 2013
We were looking for a reasonably priced toasted sandwich maker that made decent sandwiches. What we like about this toasted sandwich maker is the fact that it is basic, doesn't take long to heat up, toasts sandwiches nicely in about six minutes and is easy to clean.

I have found the best way to clean it is to put a drop of water onto the toasting plates whilst the toaster is still hot then close the top down, this allows the steam to loosen any bits of food stuck to the plates, which can then be easily wiped off.
on 31 January 2013
I nearly conned myself into buying a much flasher, much dearer sandwich toaster. I'm not sure what added value I thought I was going to get from the expensive item.

This heats quickly, makes two nicely browned and formed sandwiches and the good quality plates clean easily.

Great budget price toaster.
on 26 December 2012
It does exactly what it says on the tin - i.e. a very basic product but good enough to do the job that it was made for.
on 22 March 2013
Excellent sandwich toaster, as you would expect from Russell Hobbs. Great value for money. Only criticism......could be a bit bigger (ie to take larger slices of bread)
on 15 May 2014
I know I wanted a cheap and straightforward toaster, but this is really a regrettable choice. It is weak and flimsy, and there is a great deal of careful effort needed when closing as the lid is held in place through the back-centre, which means when closing the lid, it shifts in both directions either side of the centre, making it very weak and likely to break at some point.

It is too tiny to fit almost any slice of bread, and the non-stick coating was flaking after one use.

The biggest flaw for me is the impossibility of cleaning the item. I know if you want removeable plates you can pay extra, however, I have over the years used low-end toasters with no removeable plates which were much better designed than this. The position of the many gaps in the surface of the item means that pretty much after the first use, you will have congealed food trapped which is near-impossible to remove. Since the plates are so small, inevitably there will be some of the sadwich overhanging this deep opening at the front of the unit. Meaning that filling will flow in there, and it is very difficult to get at this. In trying to wipe away some of this mess after the first use, my efforts were causing the white finish in this area to flake away. keep in mind this is only with a soft sponge.

Awfully cheap, but awful. I am convinced that there are good, reliable, cheap sandwich toasters available somewhere. The quality of these things seems to be getting worse.
on 31 August 2013
This toaster only takes the smaller slices of bread but does what it says and is very easy to clean would recommend it
on 28 February 2013
Russell Hobbs 18008 Sandwich Toaster, White

I bought this Sandwich Toaster because I gave my big expensive one to my granddaughter because she loved to make a 'Toasty' and as I hadn't used it for such a long time. My mistake!

When I saw my husband cutting away my home made bread to make two small toasties to make them fit, it hurt my eyes to see the waste, so after using once, I have invested in another that makes two full size sandwiches much quicker and without the fiddling about necessary with this one.

There is nothing wrong with this little thing for the odd indulgence, cheap and cheerful if you have small bread slices and just want the occasional toasty for a change; it works well and cleans like a dream, but unfortunately, not for us; my fault entirely.
on 7 May 2014
When it comes to Sandwhich toasters for domestic use there is not much range to choose from they all seem to be the generic small shallow tray makers that don't last long before the Handel breaks,even the ones at £40-£50 come with 50 50 reveiws.this item is no different however if you look after this item and your not heavy handed and don't over load it with filling then it should last you.
on 12 November 2013
My roomates and I went a bit toastie mad when we bought this so I can say it can stand up to some pretty heavy usage. However be careful how thick the bread you se and the fillings you add are as we cracked the white plastic casing on the bottom by trying to force it to close. The toasting is a little uneven but you still get a good toasting all round.

EDIT: Bought in November 2013 we are considering maybe replacing it now March 2015. This is with extremely careless and reckless use. it's been a good soldier.
on 12 January 2014
Read a few reviews which said it was small/didn't crisp the bread; But mine does - Although I do leave the bottom slices in the grill whilst preparing the filling, that extra minute or so helps to crisp the base.