on 12 October 2015
Bought this as a result of seeing a BBC4 program about the return of Dexy's , found it very interesting and decided to buy the CD
Never having been a fan of the Original Dexy's Midnight Runners although they did release some fine music. This album has slowly grown on me
after initially being just an OK album, now I find the melodies going through my head, and I have to say that Kevin Rowland's voice is still quite strong, although obviously with the passage of time, not as strong as it once was. But overall a very fine return by him . If you are thinking of buying this album, don't hesitate just do it, you won't regret it.
on 14 October 2014
For some odd reason Dexy's Midnight Runners' final album ("Don't Stand Me Down") often is given poor reviews, but in my opinion it fights with their second album for the championship. Left from those previous heydays is Mick Talbot (later also of Style Council fame) and a new and very welcome voice - Madeleine Hyland. This album is very uplifting, as we sometimes expect from an album with Mr. Rowland, and while the band is slightly less tight and the songs are slightly less strong as those on the two last albums proper with Dexy's Midnight Runners, this is a quite strong effort.
on 5 April 2013
An incredible return after twenty-five years of silence. Kevin's voice and his rather self-indulgent outlook on life won't be for everyone, but he knows how to write a great pop song, in the best sense of the word "pop".

Other reviews have said what needs to be said about this album. I just want to add that I hope its success will motivate the record company or Kevin to RE-RELEASE "DON'T STAND ME DOWN" because what I've heard of it sounds great but I ain't paying £60 for it!
on 7 February 2013
This album has a lot going for it, but it also has some truly dire moments. For me Madeline Hyland adds nothing but crass Am-dram screeches - things would be so much better without her involvement! As others have said the swearing also seems wholly unnecessary and greatly reduces the play-ability of the album for those of us with families.

Which is a shame as some of the tracks are an absolute joy. As a Style Council fan its good to find out that Mick Talbot is back in action again as well.

A mixed bag which with slight tweaks could have been an absolute stunner.

Update. Turns out this one is a grower. I am even beinning to enjoy some of tracks that previously grated. Still think it's a flawed Gem though.
on 16 June 2013
Just love it. Kevin Rowland at his best. At nearly 60 he is still belting out the tunes with such clarity and vocal range. This album almost makes a mockery out of Come on Eileen. We went to watch the West End show that goes with this album and Kevin didn't disappoint on stage either.
on 24 March 2016
great album , very different from their early stuff
on 19 May 2015
If you are looking for something similar to Come On Eileen then this is not it! This is very much a departure from the old style, although having seen the documentary on BBC3 Kevin Rowland is going back to his roots (jazz and blues). I loved the music (even though I am not a jazz fan, I found this accessible) and so bought the album!
on 6 April 2016
Essential Rowland!
on 30 September 2013
Why have we had to wait so long for another album from Kevin Rowland? His lyrics and voice haven't changed all that much, his sense of humour certainly hasn't! It has a "recorded in a garage" sound to it. A good return.
on 13 January 2015
It's Dexy's. What you gonna do, have a moan about it? Behave, son.