on 28 March 2016
Listing the highlights is very useful and book nicely laid out and small enough to carry around. Restaurants tend to be the very expensive ones and no extra detail on finding them. Pull out map is an exact copy of the one printed in the book and does not give enough detail (not close enough up for the immediate area around Jemaa el Fnaa. Had great difficulty walking from Square to Majorelle gardens and also to Bab Agnaou gate near the Saadian tombs. There are very few road names up on actual roads/streets so a close up of the various roads would have been helpful. Was assisting some fellow traveller I met and they had a far clearer map. Even had difficulty finding the Ben Yousef house which is just a little way North. Encountered many 'helpful' people along my travels who ask where you are going and seem to point you down the least crowded alleyways and also tell you things are closed. Went to the Bahia Palace (not listed as main highlight in book but was in their pages of the Kasbah area) and this certainly seemed worth a visit. Easy to get to as on a main walkway from the square and is only 10 dirhams to enter and there is plenty to walk around, in the cool shade too. Was travelling from the Bab Agnaou gate and encountered one person who said it closes at 2pm and another who said it opens in 45 mins. Neither were true as it was open all day. Best to have a good map and not take the 'helpful' advice offered.
One person found this helpful
on 9 January 2016
My fondness for DK eyewitness books is documented in other reviews but for the first time I will have to give one of their books three stars. Normally with these books while I can understand others complaints that they cater too much for people who want to see the main sights I don't have a problem as they give info about other places and handy maps. The problem with Marrakech is that maps don't really work - certainly not in the Souks but even the more standard roads either have no signage or it is inconsistent. Marrakech itself is more of a wandering around city rather than a 'you must see this' city so for once you may want to use another guide book which focuses more on culture. Having said that, for the sights I did go and see the book was as useful as always
2 people found this helpful
on 28 June 2015
I'm a big lonely planet user but thought I'd buy this just to see as they are a lot cheaper. Unfortunately though we were very disappointed. This book was not great. The map is ok but the detail on it was none existent. It even took our host quite a while to find her own home. Then with regards to the top 10, the overview pages were good to read but then things like restaurants were all expensive, touristy locations. Some of which didn't even sell local cuisines.

By the end we only used this to scan and tick off some of the big touristy monuments. The rest we just researched on the Internet and asked the locals for.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 December 2012
I left my excellent guide book to Marrakech in the UK - stupid I know! Now, changing from printed paper guidebooks is very difficult, it no longer is just about turning the page and then bookmarking the excellent map and flipping back between one and the other, it becomes really complicated and the Lonely Planet guide (for all Morocco, not just Marrakech), although still bad, is so many streets ahead in every way (pun intended) that it casts a shame on the completely unusable and uninformative downloadable guide produced by DK Eyewitness' guide to Marrakech which is unreadable and they have not even been bothered to format it properly for the Kindle.

I buy lots of holiday guides, at least a couple every year for new places I am going to. I have to admit that I probably won't buy any more travel ebooks and stick to the physical guide, this is in direct conflict with my Kindle philosophy (my husband and I own four between the two of us and I haven't bought a non-kindle book for ages). Don't forget your paperback guide but DK Eyewitness is rubbish, far worse than the competition on incidental details and written for people only interrested in ticking off the sites rather than giving them any help.

Never again - I even suspect that the information may not be originally written by the author in parts but I have no proof of this. To add insult to injury DK Eyewitness' guide is pitched at the same price as Lonely Planet so I have totally wasted my money in buying it and could have got a half decent (excellent in paperback form) guide for the same price which I have now had to pay.

Hope this is helpful and, no, I don't work for Lonely Planet and never have, I've just used their guidebooks for over 30 years and I have to admit that the new paper versions are not as good as they were!
One person found this helpful
on 4 April 2018
I was travelling to Marrakech for just a couple of days. This guide was perfect, summarising the top sites in each area in an easy to read format. Lots of interesting information without being overwhelming. The pull out map was also really helpful to keep in a pocket while walking around. I love the DK Eyewitness guides and these Top 10 books are no exception.
on 23 September 2011
Top 10 Guides are a brief introduction to the country, region or city in question. The point of a holiday or a break is to immerse yourself in the area and the culture, and to be honest, the locals (be it the concierge or people in the street) will give you a great insight in where to visit. If you plan everything to the last detail from your living room, you can miss out on so much.

So yes, other guides are more thorough and if you are staying for an extended period of time, I can see their appeal, but for the last few years, I've only used the Top 10 guides.

For a business traveller with limited leisure time, these are essential reading. For everyone else, they cover off all the important stuff in a readily accessible format.
on 13 January 2017
Great little pocket sized guides. This is my second, having previously bought the Florence guide (which was much better by the way, that's why this drops a star). This is a book of top ten this.... top ten that... (I suppose the title was a give-away) and it works well, but I prefer the straight guide sort of thing. Anyway pretty good guide for Marrakech and other bits of Morocco. Not much good for anywhere else though!
on 30 November 2012
This guide book is quite adequate. Some places are referred to on more than one page, which means delving into it a few times. I am sure there are many Riads, like the one we went to who also deserve a mention but of course there would not be room! There are other souks outside the one illustrated on the map which may confuse some. The information on the attractions is good, and there are good suggestions on what to do whilst there. Marrakech is a different world, a place of contrasts, the very rich and their palaces and sumptuous hotels on one hand and the very poor who beg in the street on the other. Go with an open mind, but prepare to feel very uncomfortable.
on 18 March 2015
I purchased this book as we were planning on going to Marrakech this year but sadly our plans have changed. I've awarded this book 5 stars as it is the same excellent quality as the other destination versions I have (all purchased at the same time) and the content looks all up to date and helpful. Once again it comes with the handy pocket sized map that can be kept seperate if you don't want to carry the book around with you all day.
on 27 April 2014
We always buy Eyewitness books when we travel and we were just as pleased with this one as we have been with the others. The book was set out into the top 10 sights with additional information like markets/restaurants, etc. It also has information if you fancy a day trip to Essaouria. Great buy if you're planning a trip to Marrakech!
** Do not hope for the maps to contain every street.....the streets are very confusing (so it's best to just use the maps as a guide!). You become used to the streets after a while!