on 3 April 2014
I have really been enjoying P F Chisholm' s Robert Cary Mysteries but unfortunately not this one.
My oh my why has this author taken it upon herself to discredit William Shakespeare so, set in 1592 the author has him working as a servant and having the contents of a chamber pot being thrown over him and beaten up by other poet's really?
Records show that during this period Shakespeare was earning a living as an actor and playwright having several plays produced.
By 1594 he was a managing partner of the Lord Chamberlains men the leading company of players of their day writing and acting with them, in 1597 he had 15 of his 37 plays published and had purchased the second largest house in Stratford
By 1599 together with a partnership of company members he built the Globe theatre
It is true that Green called Shakespeare a upstart crow but most scholars believe that this was because William didn't have the university education that the other playwrights of time had.
His humble background makes his works more outstanding the very fact that he has added more words and phrases to the British language surely gives him the right not to be used in such a disrespectful manner.
Though I have not enjoyed this book (I have not been able to finish it) I have loved the others in the series and look forward to the next one.
on 3 October 2017
Not only is Robert Carey back on his home turf and even more fascinating, but Dodd is a more developed character. The scene, early on, where the two of them are in the pub with Kit Marlowe and others is hilarious and the injection of more humour lifts the book onto another level. I'd recommend this series and look forward to the next one.
on 2 May 2017
There are many competent writers of historical fiction. Most of them have researched and know there chosen periods well. Fewer possess that magical descriptive quality that makes the reader believe that they have entered a breathing world that is real and authentic. Fewer still are those writers whose characters seem real flesh and blood rather than flesh and cardboard. Rarest of all are those authors who are blessed with and instil in their characters a sense of humour. P F Chisholm/Patricia Finney has all there qualities. A talent she shares with few others. Off-hand I can only think of Dorothy Dunnett and Patrick O'brien. I can't pay her a higher or more well deserved compliment
on 10 January 2015
A Plague of Angels:

Sir Robert Carey, Warden of the West March, is summoned home by his father, Lord Hunsdon, in order to find his troublesome elder brother who cannot avoid getting involved in dubious 'get rich quick' schemes. All is not as it seems and a suspiciously quiet London is soon revealed as a backdrop for murder, cruel injustice, and political intrigue. Fortunately Carey is accompanied by the ever dependable Sergeant Henry Dodd whose observations regarding London life are a revelation. Another winner for P. F. Chisholm and lovers of the period.
on 18 September 2016
A truly exceptional book in a marvellous series. This is the second time I have read them and have enjoyed them every bit as much. The characters are numerous and believable and you get to know and like them throughout the books. Clever plots add to the well written books to make them very worth buying.
on 25 October 2013
P F Chisholm is a writing name of mine so I wrote this book - and I will not lower myself to sock-puppetry. In this book I had a lot of fun writing about the elegant and gallant Sir Robert Carey's relationship with his mother - and Sergeant Dodd's deeply disapproving opinion of London and all things southern, including a nearly bankrupt balding player called William Shakespeare. Many people have been kind enough to compliment me for making them laugh - the more serious the situation the more likely people are to crack a bad-taste joke about it, I think.
on 30 July 2013
I down-loaded the entire Sir Robert Carey series to my Kindle and read them all over a weekend. Good plots, well written and set in a well-described historical context.
For a more detailed discussion of the anglo-Scottish Border and the Debatable Land, I recommend (the late) George Macdonald Fraser's book, the Steel Bonnets.
on 17 March 2014
A Cumbrian Revier goes to London with one of Elizabeths courtiers. The cast is a fine one the Lord Chancellor, his sons, the Vice Chancellor, spies, Kit Marlowe and William Shakepeare. Quite a few people die, the mystery is solved, some blackmail goes on. Will try another one of these.
on 8 July 2015
Riveting. A real rollercoster of a novel. I relished the sights and sounds of medieval England. A gripping tale which I couldn't put down until I reached the last page. Another triumph by P.F. Chisolm.
on 11 March 2013
This is real take-you-there writing and it is great to see them published on kindle because my paperbacks are beginning to show how many times I have read them. They are interesting, they are funny and can be read over again because the ending of the story is not the best part, the depth of detail keeps them fresh.