on 25 March 2013
its a fast card that works fine. here are the benchmark results:
Samsung 16GB Class 10 Micro SD Card

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 3.027 MB/s [ 739.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.147 MB/s [ 35.8 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 2.771 MB/s [ 676.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.196 MB/s [ 47.8 IOPS]

Test : 100 MB [E: 0.0% (0.0/14.9 GB)] (x1)
Date : 2013/02/06 21:12:03
OS : Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

hits class 10 speeds easily on the writes.
66 Comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 March 2018
on 18 August 2013
I've been reading several reviews on micro-sdhc cards and one was very helpful. It recommended a program titled, H2Testw.exe which I downloaded free from the net. It will tell you if the card really does have a full 16gb of memory on it or if the card is some sort of re-programmed knock off that you buy from dodgy people selling stuff from their car boot.

Over the last several months, I've purchased a variety of 8, 16 and 32gb memory cards and I thought I'd give them a going over with this software. I should note that none of the cards I've purchased have failed, but some do seem very slow compared to others. The 32gb was sold to me as a 4x speed card and both the 16gb cards I have were sold to me as 10x. I didn't have time to test the 32 gig card today but I'll come back and update the review later. This card however was painfully slow so it ended up as a Windows 7 bootable OS disk that I use to install windows.

First the results of this card. The Samsung 16gb 10x. Purchased from "City of memories".

I should note that although the large SD adapter had a Samsung sticker on it, it arrived without any sort of retail package. I know that big manufacturers like Samsung and Kingston don't sell their stuff without retail packages so I was wary right from the start. The actual Mico-SDHC card itself has no branding on it but just basic printing indicating that it's a class 10, etc.

Test results for this card:

Writing speed: 9.07 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.8 MByte/s

What do the numbers mean? It's difficult to determine if this is indeed 10x/class 10 speed because of a variety of factors involved and as of yet I have not found an internet reference which really gives precise details on what this means. You would think that if it writes at 10 megs/second that it would mean that it's 10x. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on this matter. They say 10x means an average of both read and write. One web page says that writing at 1.5MByte a second is equal to 10x. If my memory is correct, manufacturers moved way from using the "X" reference a few years ago in favour of a more accurate "Class" reference. I don't think it's been very helpful or has worked to clarify much in peoples minds.

I purchased a Lexar 16gb card a while ago and it gives an improved write performance over the unbranded Samsung. I should note that it came in full retail packaging and the packaging looked every bit as professional and real as anything you'd find in a shop. Doesn't necessarily mean that it's real though but it was traditionally painfully difficult to open even with a pair of big scissors . But I could see no funny faded printing colours or odd materials used in the printing process. It came with a small fold out paper from Lexar with my warranty info and all that. It cost just a couple of pounds more than this.

Writing speed: 13.9 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.8 MByte/s

So from this, I can see that the average write is 4.83 megs greater than the unbranded card.

Here is one very interesting thing to note though. When I started the test, the full retail packaged Lexar card began writing at about 13 megs a second and sustained this over the entire duration of the test which takes about 30 minutes. The unbranded Samsung (this product you're looking at now) started off writing at 4megs and slowly but steadily increased it's speed until it settled at 9.07 after about 9 or 10 minutes of writing. It then sustained this.

So although this Samsung unbranded (with no retail package) is an ok buy at only £8 I wouldn't use it for 1080p HD video recording. The test revealed that it does have a real 16gb capacity and it seems solid and decent overall. But a lot of hd cameras have a special feature to drop frames if the storage can't keep up. You'd see dropped frames if you moved the camera around a lot and there is a lot of stuff going on in the scene. Also, a card like this may interfere with burst mode when shooting 14 or 16 megapixel still images. For your everyday picture taking though I feel it would be ok.

If you really want pro results from your gear, then stay away from this questionable stuff. You're saving money, sure, but you really do get what you pay for.

I'm using this card in a 10.1" android tablet. I have no problems with it at all. I've often write 1080p MKV movies to it and watch them without any issue at all. I've written full dvd mpg (*.vob) files and they've played back perfectly without issue. I have lots of mp3 on it and they start up and play instantly just all the video files.

Hopefully this will put things into perspective. And remember, the sellers of items continually differ, so the card you buy here today may come from someone else. And even then, the stock may differ from one lot to the next.

If you use some common sense and test your cards you'll be wiser and in the long run happier.
0Comment| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 December 2017
Quality as expected
on 25 October 2017
Good quality
on 14 August 2017
As described have had no problems, use in our camera
on 29 August 2017
all positive
on 13 February 2017
Doubles the storage space on my tablet
on 15 February 2017
Excellent thanks
on 24 August 2014
I purchased this card to use in a Raspberry Pi Model B+ and for that purpose it works fine. The transfer speeds are not as advertised, but it was obvious these were nonsense and I wasn't expecting it to perform anywhere close. I tested the card with h2testw to ensure it was genuinely 16GB and during that test the card averaged 10.0MB/sec write and 18.6MB/sec read, so it does at least conform to class 10. The micro SD card has no branding on it, but the adapter does have Samsung etched onto it (looks much smarter than the one in the photo which has a label). It came in a nice little plastic case that accommodates both the micro SD card and the full size adapter separately (ie. you don't have to fit the micro SD card into the adapter to store it away.) Note that I purchased my card from "Sunwood-UK", fulfilled by Amazon. This item is available from a number of marketplace sellers, so it's highly probable that there are variations in appearance and performance depending on who you order it from. I have docked 1 star only because this card does not meet the advertised speeds.