Customer reviews

Words And Music By Saint Etienne
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 30 June 2012
Must admit to never being into Saint E and bought this on a whim. Very interesting, but not earth shattering. Must admit the remix CD with the deluxe addition contains a lot of tripe - I've always thought that this gimmick is a massive rip off and would have preferred more original works from the band. Gave it four for the first CD but let down with the horrid "extra" hence 3. Do yourselves a favour and get the cheaper standard version - you won't miss anything.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 July 2012
I must admit to being a fairly recent convert to the Saint Etienne cause. I'd got You're in a bad way ages ago on a mixed compilation album and really liked it. I'd heard of them but didn't know too much about them, they seemed to bypass me in the 90s. I came across London Conversations and decided to take a chance, after listening to it i was totally blown away and i am now cursing myself for not finding them earlier.
I had high expectations for the new album and i wasn't disappointed. The theme of the album is that Music affects our lives in many different ways and reminds us of good times, bad times and defining moments in our lives. The opening track Over the Border takes me back over 30 years when listening to the Charts on Radio 1 was a weekly ritual and my bedroom wall was covered in posters of my favourite Bands. There isn't a duff track on the album from the bouncy DJ to the beautiful I threw it all away!!!
What sets Saint Etienne apart are the interesting lyrics, great tunes and the superb voice of Sarah Cracknell. I was lucky enough to see them recently at the London Palladium and they put on a great show, Sarah never seemed to stop smiling, it's great when the Artist is enjoying it as much as the Fans.
I can't rate this Album highly enough and have been playing it constantly.
7 people found this helpful
on 21 May 2012
I really cannot believe how good this album is. It is quite extraodinary that any band can write so many perfect pop songs on one album, let alone a band that has been around since 1990. You would think that by now they might have run out of good tunes, but no this release is chock a block with blisteringly good melodies. I defy anyone to try and keep their toes from tapping to these songs. Its pop but its really really good pop. To be honest it must be embarrassing for other bands because St Etienne make it all sound so very easy. The deluxe edition is worth getting because the remixes, so often a disappointment are absolutely fabulous. The track listings however are a bit of a mystery as the front of the sleeve contradicts the back but I guess I am too old or drunk to work out if they are supposed to be like that! If you like dance/pop music then you will not find a better album than this, excellent.
10 people found this helpful
on 22 May 2012
This album is AMAZING! I've had it on repeat for 24 hours and I am in love with it. Every song creeps into the brain with a killer hook. Sarah Cracknell sounds so good! I love Track 1 - that was me too- Smash Hits! Record Collector! Posters on my wall! Can it really be that long since Saint Etienne cracked the charts with "only love will break your heart"?! The years go quickly but the music is always here. This is classic Saint Etienne - vintage modern. Soak this up and play this all summer - I will be.
13 people found this helpful
on 23 May 2012
Was dubious about a band who were just average at best. This is best album I heard in ages. It's a hot and sunny day and these songs are the perfect backdrop. I want neither to end, at least with the album I can put it on again.
3 people found this helpful
on 2 September 2012
At what point did the chart run down appear on a Saturday? Surely it was always a Sunday with the sumptuous FM bandwidth being given over to Radio 1? How can Bob, Pete & Sarah of made such a mistake?
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 7 June 2012
I have been a Saints fan for many years. I have bought all their records and been to gigs, and in my opinion they have produced more good music than anyone else. But this album, as was its predecessor, is off the pace. The songs and arrangements are competent rather than thrilling and can we address the elephant in the room? Sarah's voice has gone. It was never the strongest but for ten or so years had a beautiful sweetness and purity. But when you listen to the likes of Mario's Cafe, Spring and Hobart Paving etc, followed by these songs, the decline is obvious - no strength, no range, hoarse and always resorting to breathiness and whispers. It saddens me to say it, but if they cannot sort out these problems, I would rather they retire now than release any more below-standard stuff.
2 people found this helpful