Customer reviews

on 25 March 2013
I've had this LP for some time now and only recently had a bit of an epiphany. For the first couple of listens I came away with the feeling that I would rather be listening to "Heart of The Congos" or "On Patrol" but not perhaps at the same time.
Skip forward a few months I dug out the CD again, approaching with fresh ears and it has blossomed in my mind to a bit of a beauty. Like a child on a bike with stabilisers it starts a bit wobbly then really finds its feet as it travels along.
All of the tracks are strongly roots-based consciousness vocally as you'd expect from The Congos - I can't remember the last time I listened to such a 100% uplifting album.

If you are aware of Cameron Stallone's output as Sun Araw you might be surprised at the respectful sensitivity of the accompanying soundscapes. The music is never allowed to swamp the vocals and acts as a perfect, if eccentric, accompaniment. The vibe is shamanic like much of his early output with seashell percussion and searching psych guitars. The highlights for me are the mantras of 'Sunshine', 'Invocation' but particularly 'Thanks and Praise' which invokes the spirit of Popul Vuh, The Cosmic Jokers and other Kosmiche alumni infused with Rastafari. It really is a blissful meeting of minds and worlds.

Where this could've been a godawful culture-clash of stoner white boys meeting their heroes, against the odds it has created one of my favourite mood-enhancing albums in recent years. And any chance to hear again the vocal interplay between Cedric's sweet falsetto and Ashanti Roy's deep, deep tenor is a moment to be treasured.
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 May 2014
All good. Why do I have to get in so much detail? It was all good. I don't get it.