on 3 January 2005
I first came across this album back in 1997, as a tape I found in my new flat. Nothing was written on it, but as soon as I put it on, I knew I liked it. For a while I listened to it every night. It seemed to make me feel at peace, and relaxed, yet demanding my attention with it's rhythmical intricacies and it's instrumentation. All that tuned percussion (is that a thumb-piano?)gives Geoffrey Oryema a beautiful texture on which to lay his vocals.
For years I tried to discover the identity of this singer- through a friend, someone from the Africa centre heard it, but could not identify it either.
Then, by chance, I heard it in a film, "Beguiled", and I knew my search was over.
For me, the songwriting on this album is inspired, and has an honest feel about it. I recommend this album to anyone with an open mind.
on 7 October 2010
This fast became one of my absolute favorite cd's and the first weeks I had to listen to it daily. It's a fantasic meeting of african and european music where each side shows the greatness of the other. I bought all of his cd's - but this is the best. (and I have bought this many times as gifts)
on 1 July 2012
This is a wonderful artist and there are some amazing tracks on this CD, there is a beauty in his voice that touches my heart.
on 25 March 2015
I love this album it's a classic. Was delivered quickly too :)
on 11 June 2016