on 20 March 2014
The DVD footage for Religion alone is worth the asking prices "..listen to the bass..." requests John,and it is formidably low and intoxicating as it rumbles along,then you ahve the new stuff,takes a bit of getting used to,and is a little annoying as he promotes himself a lot on first song but 'one drop' has some very astute lyrics and 'Deeper water' could be death disco pt 2? the longer tracks towards the end are rewarding for their originality.Always interesting is our John,this is no exception a welcome new album.Saw PIL live last year-absolutely mesmerising!
3 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 February 2013
Had a look at this CD on Amazon and was reminded that I purchased the CD/DVD version on 6 May 2012. I played it on my HiFi this evening for the first time in a long time. It has been mostly on my MP3 player for the past six months or so. I still love listening to it.

You may recognise guitar sounds from The Cure early albums. The bass is driving rhythms unlike anything I've heard, check-out Deeper Water for a typical example. The clarity of production is what carries the music in MP3 or full CD sound. And that vocal. That uninhibited, sonic indifference of John Lydon threads its way through statement lyrics of unadorned poetry such as One Drop; a sparkling highlight of many.

Whilst I've only played the DVD a few times it is still recommended. In fact the production on Deeper Water is an improvement, though not missed on the CD form. Get it because it's good. Bloody good. And there's nothing out there anywhere near it.
on 22 February 2017
I love PIL. I've seen them play live numerous times, and they're always brilliant. This album however leaves me cold. Not a single track to excite me. An essential buy for those who have the rest, but if you don't have everything they've done then leave it till last.
Sorry John. See you on the road sometime soon I hope!
on 3 June 2018
Probably one of PIL's best outings in recent years. If you haven't listened to this album take a listen to Reggie Song which is one of the best tunes John has written in a long while. As for the vinyl, we'll pressed and a quality cover to boot!
on 10 December 2012
4 stars because a couple of the tracks are really poor and probably just fillers. The rest is classic formula Pil. I love the cover as well, it just begs to be framed and put on a wall. I've follwed John(ny) Lydon (Rotten) since day one and I still can't work out if the way he comes across is genuine or if it's just one big act. However, he can still come up with a good song and this album knocks spots of 99% of the rubbish that's around these days. I genuinely feel sorry for the youth of today that they haven't got a current and relevant Johnny Rotten character out there to follow.
on 9 January 2013
Brilliant new album and a DVD with an awesome live concert that gives you over 2 hours of sheer brilliance.

Lou Edmonds is a genius guitar and stringed instrument virtuoso. Lydon's vocal is pure, sincere and warm. Drums and bass form a perfect engine to drive everything in a pulsating stream of excellence.

This is my second favourite album in my collection, next to Kill Pretty's "Dark Heart" album.

Don't miss out on the DVD version to save a few quid. It really is worth the money
on 12 December 2012
I wasn't a fan back in the day, but after seeing the band on Jools was blown away by the intensity and emotion. Bought the album, the songs are pretty good, but there is a "cleanness", a flatness to the sound that has sucked the soul from the music.
Don't get me wrong this is a PIL album, just disappointing after seeing them sung on stage.
I will save my money and see them live next time.
2 people found this helpful
on 15 August 2012
I'm a Celebrity .... , Butter Ads, Wildlife Films, all highly entertaining and watchable but this is what John Lydon does best. Music with P.I.L. Ok we'll never get another Metal Box but this comes close to Album. A Personal, political, angst ridden and eloquent state of the nation address from a man who hasn't lived here for decades, but given his position he has never lost touch with where he's from and what that means to him, and us.
All of the musicians on this album are former members of P.I.L and this makes for great listening, as they seem to understand the needs of John's lyrics and each others playing fantastically. A brilliant return to form.
One person found this helpful
on 20 November 2014
With a combination of diverse music, humour, John`s unique vocals and a hint of anarchy, PiL have created a refreshing slice of rock. From the intro where we are reminded who we are listening to all the way through to the final track, this album oozes PiL`s unique talent.
on 11 May 2017
Exciting music well played. Original and quirky.