Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 13 March 2015
Hybrid by Vanessa Wester

Steven Thorn has just started at Southampton University. He is confident, honest, hard-working and intelligent. When he bumps into Caitlin Chance, he notices an instant connection. Something he has never experienced before. Steven has spent pretty much most of his life keeping himself to himself.

Yet, a few months into his first year and unbeknown to Steven, his entire life is about to change. His family have a past, that even he wasn't aware of. Until now. Will Steven cope with the change in his life, or will his entire world come crashing down?

Hybrid is book one in The Evolution Trilogy written by Vanessa. Complications and Return are the following two books, with a prequel Emily available to also download (see bottom of page for download links).

The story is told from the viewpoint of Steven Thorn, in third person narrative. I felt like I am on the outside of his life, watching it. I could see and feel what he was going through, whilst being safely out of the way.
Vanessa has used two main settings for the story, Southampton UK and the Amazon Rainforest. The way that story transitions between the two countries is really well written. The journey, for the reader, was smooth. Vanessa took us on a journey across the world in order to travel between the two places.
Hybrid definitely falls into the 'world of books' as a paranormal romance. Anyone that knows me, knows that I tend to avoid romance stories. This book works out perfectly for me - if you chuck a bit of supernatural (or paranormal, whichever you prefer) or a murder into it and I'm all in.

I'm trying something new with this review, in that I am going to try and evaluate the book in just three words. So, here goes... Hybrid is Interesting, Beautiful and Conserving. The story is extremely interesting, the take on a story that has been written over and over by many an author is completely different to any other that I have read (and I have read a lot of books in this genre). The way that Vanessa describes the surroundings and the settings, including the characters, makes me feel as though everyone and everything is beautiful to look at (even though they may not be). The final word I have chosen is Conserving. The reason for this word is that I feel that Vanessa has managed to keep a conserved approach throughout the whole story. I am hoping this will expand more in the following books. I love the fact that the information has been reserved, and we (as a reader) have only been fed the basic information that we need to know. Very much like the main character, Steven, to give something away to us would indeed give something away to him.

I recommend that you read this book if you get the chance, you will not be disappointed. The book is currently available for FREE on both AMAZON UK and AMAZON US as a kindle e-book. Don't worry if you don't have a kindle, you can read it through the app on your phone, or on your PC/Laptop.
on 8 May 2016
Steven meets Caitlin at university, catching him off guard with the instant attraction between them.
Steven though has a secret past and it's unveiling will change everything. Steven then meets with others as his secret is revealed to him and he learns all about his Mother's family.
Though classed as romance, I didn't find this overbearing, yes romance in it, blossoming. Sex but not graphic and not off putting, actually well written! I don't read many books in this genre but I've added next 2 to wish list as I enjoyed this 1 so much. A good change of genre.
on 17 January 2015
It took me a while to get into this book, especially as the prologue felt completely unrelated to begin with (though it became clearer with later events). About half way through I found myself interested to know how the story would pan out and eager to learn more about the world that was being described. For the most part, I enjoyed the world that Vanessa Wester has created, though I have to say that I did find some parts to be unbelievable and over-the-top, and other parts occurred too quickly without enough explanation. For this reason, I have given this book a rating of 3 stars.

I feel that, most of the time, Vanessa Wester did a good job of weaving background information into the plot, though there were also parts that felt a bit clumsy to me. On the whole, the characters were well developed and the dialogue was believable, though I did struggle to believe some of the actions of the characters. Although there were parts that did not work for me, including the twist at the end, all in all I found this to be a promising debut novel and an interesting concept.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 January 2013
This book is introduced with a prologue, which initially I didn't understand, but it really helped once the main story began to unfold

The opening chapter of Hybrid begins with our introduction to one of the main protagonist, Caitlin, and gives a narrative about her first semester at University and attempts to settle in on campus. We also begin to meet quite a few of the other minor characters and these fill out the narrative rather nicely.

Before too long we are then become acquainted with the main protagonist of the piece (and her eventual love interest) Steven.

From the first description we have of Steven it is obvious that he is a very special individual and this draws you in and piqued my interest as a lover of all things paranormal.

The attraction between the two is almost tangible and instantaneous but not at the cost of the storyline in this instance.

They gradually develop into "an item" and then their romance is cut short by the appearance of some of Steven's long lost and also unknown family members, and with that a history that he cannot run away from. The consequence is that all their lives are altered irrevocably and also apparently forever.

This story has a twist in the tale regarding the "vampires" in this story as it takes a refreshing slant on the usual vampire tale, which is ultimately explained extremely well.

I loved this book and especially the detail regarding Freshers week and it took me back to my own memories of that time at University.

I was captivated and finished the book in short shrift and was compelled to immediately download the second in the series "Complications"

A thoroughly well deserved 5* and an author to look out for in the future
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 August 2015
This is a book of two very different halves. The first half is Caitlin's story. She starts at college and meets a guy Steven. They start off as friends, but it soon develops.

But Steven has a past he doesn't know about. And when Steven finds out about it, it's too late for him and Caitlin. The second half of the book is him finding out what he really is.

I enjoyed this story, although it seemed like two separate stories. Southampton was a long long way from the Brazilian rainforest.
on 14 December 2013
Not usually the kind of book I like to read, although I was a big fan of Anne Rice in my youth. The unexpected twist in the tale made for compulsive reading, literally forcing you to discover what happens next. This story had it all, brilliantly written, loads of interesting characters, mystery, romance with an unsettling undercurrent of tension. I cannot wait to read the rest of the trilogy!
on 1 October 2012
First let me make it clear. I am a 34 year old man who has a tendancy to shout a lot if someone mentions the words Twilight. Vampires are meant to rip the throats out of young girls not ....

Sorry - distracted.

Seriously - I did not think I would enjoy this story, but even after the first few pages I was hooked. Without including spoilers, the story is a twist on the now familiar girl meets vampire premise. The characters are engaging enough, but what really sets this book apart is Westers talent as a writer. She raises questions throughout the story - making you read - before revealing the answers in a satisfying way - but not without raising a few more questions to make you read on.

The plot has plenty of originality and does not feel forced at any point. The pace changes at appropriate points and ensures the story flows along without getting bogged down. There is also plenty of humour to lighten the sometimes dark world we are exploring.

Overall I have been very impressed by Vanessa Westers writing. I hope the trilogy is completed soon.
on 19 August 2016
I really enjoyed this book, and will definitely read the next two - I need to find out what happens to Stephen and Caitlin. I thought the ending was a little abrupt, but that makes me want to read the next book all the more! A really great story idea, and I love the bit where it links in 'Twilight' to the story.
on 25 July 2013
The last time I read anything in a similar genre to this I was 16 so I wasn't sure how I would get on. Well, to be honest, I enjoyed it! Not as much as the usual books I read, hence only 4 stars, not 5, but I did think about 5 stars. The storyline of boy meets girl is not new but what happens to them is, at least to me.
I look forward to reading the next instalment
Vanessa is a new writer and I have now read 2 of her books and will be reading more me can recommend it with confidence so enjoy
on 21 February 2016
I am not a fan of horror stories or vampires so when a friend recommended this book I was hesitant to read it but I was wrong. Vanessa Wester writes really well and I was completely drawn into the story, reading late into the night to finish it. I do not want to spoil the plot but will certainly be reading the rest of the series to find out what happens to these well-drawn characters. Great story for all ages.