on 7 February 2003
Stalking Tender Prey is the first book in the Grigori trilogy. The series isn't personally my favorite of Storm's but I credit it as being very good -- just not my thing. It's set in the real world and qualifies as dark fantasy / horror. The basis for the series has to do with a thing heavily delved into by Andrew Collins, who's done a ton of work basically positing that ages ago, the world was seeded by a race of angels who mixed with mankind, were banished to earth and then sunk into hiding, secretly manipulating world events and waiting for their moment to rise up and grant mankind the power of the higher universe. The books are very good at introducing the idea of this shady weird thing lurking in the everyday -- the first one's set in a small English village and it's a kind of English Gothic novel that gets very, very weird and scary. I guess the main reasons I don't like this series so much is that (esp. in the second book) it gets a bit too New Age for me and to me, none of the characters seem at all likeable. I felt too "outside" the events...
on 25 August 2002
This book caught my imagination at first simply by the summary on the paperback. I find Storm Constantine on a par with Guy Gavrielle Kay in the way she flows the pen into verbal paintings, sending the reader into a story so compelling that you truly regret putting the book down even to spend a penny....I found the book an excellent read and the story captivated my imagination especially with the references to mythology going beyond the creation of the bible and Jesus.
on 8 November 1999
Storm Constantine weaves a tale of dark fantasy expertly in the pages of this book. Without using descriptive scenes of gore to start with, she can send chills up your spine by merely suggesting violence.
The tale begins with Peverel Othman coming to a remote Yorkshire village, he doesn't intend to stay, but decides that he can cause plenty of trouble, and wreck a few lives, so he might just hang around for a while and see which way things roll.
Needless to say, he wreaks havoc and does it so very well, manipulating the thoughts and actions of those around him, causing them to do unusual things. Gently coaxing the dark desires supressed by the sleepy village inhabitants and generally making life more interesting. He has no qualms about who's life he wrecks, young and old alike and the best bit of it all is.....he's an Angel!
Well worth a read.
on 17 September 2011
This book is world building in the most spiritual form. The author bases this story in the real world, but it's almost like being inside the memory of your best summer childhood experience. Not that this is childish or naive, it's just slightly surreal like those memories are slightly surreal. You step into a world which is `other'. The characters are vivid and the story complex, it is a world you must explore but I fear I cannot find a way to express how beautiful, unique and moving this story and Constantine's other work is.
on 29 November 2010
Storm Constantine, Stalking Tender Prey is a big book and it sat on my book shelf for years daring me to find the time to read it, I wish I'd given in sooner. This is one of the most original tales I've read in a long time. It is dark, compelling, sensual but not sexual, and a tale of huge concepts. Having grown a little weary of vampires and werewolves, I've found a new passion, angels, and how real they are and how flawed. Yet, their love for mortals, for whom they sacrificed their immortally, is painfully real. I really want to read more of this author's work, it is not for the faint hearted and you should only read this if your imagination can take on huge concepts that are built in our world, but it is worth the effort. This kind of thing is called urban fantasy these days, but stories like these have been crafted for centuries. Using the familiar world around us and tinting it through prisms of magic. I only wish we could have more British writers that use our rich history and landscape to evoke their worlds, such as Kate Griffinn.
on 18 February 2015