on 26 April 2017
In my opinion, the best album Slash has produced outside of Guns n Roses. The band are playing live in the studio (you can even hear the drummer counting them in at the start) and this makes the whole thing feel very raw and rockin'. On headphones, the guitars are panned hard left and hard right, so you can really distinguish the playing and hear the solos clearly. Myles has a great voice, the band are tight and the songs are good. An all round winner for me. This is what Slash does best. Sometimes, too much production can kill a record. The balance here is just right.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 31 December 2012
I have to admit that I haven't been the biggest fan of Slash since he departed from Guns 'n' Roses. His talent is indisputable, but the vehicles for it (Slash's Snakepit, Velvet Revolver) haven't been anything other than merely above average at best. His collaborations album was hit and miss, but showed a lot of promise, so I gave this new album a go. Quite simply, I believe that Apocalyptic Love is the best thing that Slash has put his name to since departing from Guns 'n' Roses nearly two decades ago. Having a superb singer like Alter Bridge's Myles Kennedy on board is a massive bonus as Slash has someone who can really give his work the vocal power it deserves. My favourite track, by far, is Anastasia. It's a real show stopper which, even on the first preview of the album, demands your immediate attention and appreciation. Other highlights include No More Heroes, We Will Roam and Far and Away, but the sum of this album is greater than its individual parts - it's quite simply a top class, good old-fashioned rock album. Nothing more, nothing less. Enjoy it for what it is.
on 22 May 2012
I knew the collaboration of Slash with Myles Kennedy would result in an incredible album (just listen to 'Back from Cali' and 'Starlight' from Slash's last CD) But the end result is so far beyond expectations.
Its EPIC.
The riffs, the huge chorus's, beautiful lyrics and that voice of Myles's serve up one hell of a listening experience.
All the incredients for the perfect album are present. The rythmn section in Brent Fitz and Todd Kerns provide the perfect backbone.
Slash's guitar genius was made for Myles's vocal beauty.

This isn't just for Slash / Alter Bridge fans, its for fans of great rock music.

Amazing!
on 6 October 2012
Imagine if Guns N' Roses had continued in its original form: this album is essentially that. Myles Kennedy is a very capable if more refined alternative to Axl Rose. It's almost impossible to avoid making reference to or comparison with Guns N' Roses album Appetite for Destruction because this seems to be such a natural successor, and for hard rock fans at least, surely praise does not come much higher than that. It may not quite have the raw 'wow' factor but it is a more developed and polished product. There is no doubt that Slash is on absolutely top form here - you only have to listen to 'Anastasia' to see that - what an amazing performance! Only time will tell if this becomes one of the great rock albums. It certainly deserves success.
22 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 May 2012
I must agree totally with the previous reviewers, this is a Fantastic album from Slash; who I have followed since his Guns`N`Roses days. Who can forget that Awesome intro to "Sweet Child O Mine"?

Apocalyptic Love delivers a wide range of tracks from Old Skool "Proper" Rock; taking inspiration from the well known rock groups from the 80`s & 90`s, to classic Rock Love songs, such as "November Rain".

Many of the tracks have a feel that they are follow-up songs to previous tracks in Slash`s past; "Anastasia" for example has a slight feel to me of "My Michelle" and other tracks give off the same aura; which as far as I`m concerned is no bad thing.

There are also quite a few Guitar Solo sections from Slash for the "Slash" purists amonst us. Although that said, Myles Kennedy & Co do a fantastic job of adding the vocal side to Slash`s genius.

I`m glad I opted for the FanPack as it has a great magazine which features fantastic glossy pictures and in-depth interviews with Slash & Myles Kennedy, although how long before I lose the pin-badge is anyones guess.

If I have any quibbles with this album it is that on some tracks the words are very quiet and you need to re-crank the volume knob up a notch. Also when I uploaded it onto my computer there were no Track Listings & Album Info and I had to type them in myself(I know I have a hard-life!!).

Okay back to Crankin up and Rockin` with my Air Guitar!!!
on 14 February 2014
This is a very competent rock album from Slash the Guitarist that used to play in GnR (just in case you have been on a space ship for a while). I quite like it and I listen to it every now and again but I don't love it. I think the vocals are a matter of taste. They are very well screamed out in a way that I can't imagine many singers could but I can't actually understand them (And yes I do like Maiden, Motorhead, Rainbow even Ozzy etc)... for example The title track is great but I honestly couldn't tell you what its about...
on 29 June 2012
I really enjoyed Slash's first solo album, each singer obviously bought something different to the album and Slash used a lot of different guitar sounds which was both a good and bad thing, it was great but it didn't always sound like Slash.
This album does, i'd say it sounds more like Guns'n'Roses era Slash than any other album he's played since he left the band.
For anyone that knows Myles Kennedy you'll pretty much know that he's the perfect vocalist for Slash to recruit, he does occasionally sound a little bit whiney though on some of the songs were he sings in a higher pitch but i'm being massively over critical really and it's a tiny minus point.
For some reason they decided to put the two worst songs on the album first and it's a really average opening to what is a really good album.
Once You're a Lie kicks off though it's back on steady ground and a belting riff which is probably the best on the CD, from here on in every song stands up well and "Not for Me" is a real highlight which hints at something a little bit darker and more meaningful lyric wise, elsewhere it's stock in trade riffs from the main man and old fashioned 80's rock style lyrics (this isn't meant as a negative).
If you like old school rock music, you'll like this.
It's as simple as that.
on 12 June 2012
First what it's not:
- not a Guns N' Roses album,
- not a Velvet Revolver album.

Once this is clear you might be in good mood to appreciate this new "solo" album from Slash. Contrary to the previous this one only features Myles Kennedy and "the Conspirators" (Bobby Schneck, Todd Kerns, and Brent Fitz) during the whole album. This gives some sort of unity and homogeneity to the album which I've missed from the first, that's why I tend to prefer this one over "Slash".
"Apocalyptic Love" is made of various styles from the Rock of "One Last Thrill" to the ballad "Far and Away". Due to my own taste my preference goes to the "heavy" tracks, so for me best tracks are "One Last Thrill", "Halo" and "Bad Rain". But not far behind there are "You're A Lie", "Standing in the Sun", "Apocalyptic Love" and "Anastasia".

The magazine is full of big exclusive pictures on glossy paper illustrating interesting new interviews with Slash, with Myles Kenedy and with Schneck, Kerns and Fitz. We also get a small explanation of each track on the album by Slash and by Myles.

I don't regret my buy for sure !

PS: I'm a French Slash fan so please excuse my english.
on 2 February 2015
Great album. Bought it just before seeing Slash at Wembley. Although I'd seen Slash a few times by then, I wasn't really familiar with his stuff outside GnR, so I wanted some of the back catalogue. This isn't just an album for familiarisation, it's also a good listen. If you like Slash, or Guns and Roses, or just good rock music, buy this album
on 9 September 2012
For me this is a brilliant album. All songs are good, catchy, and if you don't know better you can imagine this is the good old G&R, with Myles' voice quite close to Axl's. The Slash style is quite personal, and his playing is as amazing as ever. This is a must have, no doubt. While you're at it, buy Mark Tremonti's solo album too ;)) these two CDs together will make your life more enjoyable for a while. Great stuff.