on 11 November 2016
This series has sat in my library for ages and I finally decided that I needed to read it. OMG. Why have I waited so long to read. I was totally hooked being enticed in by the author and the story flowed at a steady pace.
Rylie Gresham, a young teenage girl who while at summer camp is bitten by a werewolf. Werewolf hunter Seth tries to help her while she goes through the stages of change in the hope that he could stop her changing into the werewolf like he had helped his brother Abel. Even though she knows what the solution is to stop herself becoming a werewolf Riley has to make the big decision whether she saves herself or saves Seth from a werewolf. The decision is made which changes her life for ever...
Reading some reviews they say this series is for teenagers. I disagree. This series of books is for everyone who enjoys a good book whether they're young or old.
on 8 March 2014
Engrossing story of a teenage girl being helped,hindered and hunted as she struggles to come to terms with being a werewolf. It's a tale of love, betrayal, and the varieties of sexual awakening. The inevitable gore is dealt with fairly sensitively and the actual process of transformation into a wolf becomes more believable with repetition as our heroine faces the change at both full and new moons (presumably because a whole month is a long time to wait for further developments in a story). The werewolf as an accidental predator comes across as markedly less evil than some of the werewolf hunters.
With such a subject, suspension of disbelief is vital, but even so there are certain quibbles that I could not shake off, even as I was enjoying the story; the almost instantaneous loss and re-growth of appropriate teeth and hair, for instance. And there are deus-ex-machina elements that become more frequent as the story approaches its climax.
All the same, I found it a pretty good read, engaging enough to keep me going through all four books without a break. If there had been a fifth in the set, I would happily have read that as well.
on 27 March 2014
Well holy crap, this was a free download and Oh my God, I loved it. I love supernatural books but the amount of detail that went into this series was incredible. The story and plot are great and the characters are brilliant. Each one has a history and you get to know them all through the story. The authors descriptions of everything, from scenery, emotions, and the werewolves transformations is so detailed you can actually picture it. I was gripped from the start, just from the initial few pages but add suspense, lots of hurt, destruction, angst, and then you have the romance and sweet love story between our heroine Rylie, and Seth, its an overall package which I couldn't put down. I cannot wait to continue reading the Cain Chronicles in which the story continues. Great read and would highly recommend.
on 7 February 2016
I got through these books a lot quicker than I thought I would! They are pretty good for a bit of escapism with a little bit of romance / fantasy thrown in. I doubt I would have bought them but as they were on for free in kindle I thought I would give them a try and I'm glad I did. entertaining. Not the best books i've ever read but no where near the worst ones that's for sure!
on 13 February 2015
Very addictive, light werewolf fiction that I found hard to put down and wasn't ready to end.
The stories are simple and teen based but I enjoyed the escapism and found that the characters got better and developed as the books went on. I am happy to find that there is another series to follow it and am sure I am going to lose even more hours in my day reading the next series. They are different and less predictable than other books of this type too so worth reading and are a bargain if you get them on kindle.
on 14 October 2014
This set of books is the ultimate unputdownable fast paced series, and having only just finished this set, I have ordered the second pack of books 1 - 4; by the same author. The very first couple of chapters are really just setting the scenario, but it soon moves into top gear - this is one big great adrenaline rush and kept up for the whole series.
on 11 March 2014
Firstly let me say 's Reine has REAL Talent. I am in my mid 60s and have been an avid reader all my life so I know a thing or two about good (and bad) books. Believe me when I say that this set ranks among the very best books I have ever read. I have not been able to put it down. The plot and the telling of it is so compelling that the next page just has to be turned. I will say no more in case I give any of the story away, but to anyone thinking of downloading it....don't hesitate it is worth the space on your device and well worth the read. I'm off to read the next yarn by this brilliant young lady.
on 13 July 2017
Although I have read these stories in reverse order I have loved reading them as things in the later books now make much more sense I love the characters the way they interact with each other as always a great read
on 9 April 2014
I was surprised that this book just hooked me in. Afterall a story about a disfunctional teenager getting bitten by a werewolf while on summer camp did not make for the best plot but somehow SM Reine manages to captivate with the story that just keeps on pulling you in. I enjoyed all the books in this series immensely. Next time I meet a disfunctional teenager .....
on 7 January 2014
I really enjoyed this series ! It was well written and very descriptive you could just imagine grey mountain and the camp! The main characters were strong and the author brought out their individuality and their physical appearance you could just picture what each of them looked like!! I will be checking out other books by this author!