Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 10 June 2012
Once I got used to the idea that this wasn't going to be exactly like her last two albums, I have so enjoyed these new songs sung in English, French and Portugese. Melody Gardot brings a flavour of Morocco, Buenos Aires and Brazilian beaches to our rain-sodden (so far this summer) island, and Heitor Pereira joins her on 'Amalia' and 'Se Voce Me Ama.' My only quibble is the slick cover, but this is small beer compared to the actual sound of Gardot's lovely, sultry voice creating a dusky holiday mood, be it heartache, sitting outside in a late night cafe, or dancing by the sea on the upbeat 'Lemanja.'
Warmly recommended.
You'll have to keep me on a short lead here! I might just get carried away!
Melody Gardot's 2009 album 'My One and Only Thrill' blew me away (2007's
'Worrisome Heart' wasn't half-bad either). I see absolutely no reason to
revise my view of this superb performer with her new album 'The Absence'.
Her collaboration with Brazilian producer Heitor Pereira is a thing of
real beauty. Restraint is the key word here. Ms Gardot knows how to make
every note and every word count in this collection of eleven bewitching songs.

Take a number like 'So We Meet Again My Heartache'. With a voice which barely
rises above a tremulous whisper Ms Gardot wrings every last ounce of emotion
from a composition which, with its shimmering string arrangement, touches
something deep in our hearts. It is a transcendent performance. So too with the
shadowy allure of 'My Heart Won't Have It Any Other Way', whose impeccable
phrasing and stunning breath control delivers one of her finest performances
to date. The album is an exotic travelogue whose substantially Latin ambience
is full of longing and regret but when she let's her hair down, as she does on the
luminously upbeat final track 'Iemanga', we are compelled to dance along with her!

No ifs, no buts - this is simply glorious stuff!

Essential.
44 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 July 2012
There are some lovely songs on the Absence but they are less meaty, less visceral than those on her first two albums. But the thing that REALLY annoyed me was the DVD. Only one of the tracks is an actual video recording, and that's the "making of La Vie en Rose"! The other tracks show only a title on the screen! So we don't even get to see her in performance. This is pretty close to false advertizing and disengenuous packaging. And it's bizarre, too, because there are so many good videos of Ms Gardot on YouTube (e.g., the Apple Studio sessions, the recordings of the Somewhere Over the Rainbow in Norway? Denmark?) If the producers were short of video material, why not put these YouTube recordings on the DVD! And finally: the choice of the cover suggests that Miss Gardot is being bullied by her producers. It's time to talk to Nellie MacKay and maybe form your own label, Melody!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 30 May 2012
People often say things in their reviews like "if you like xyz, you'll like this" or "if you liked this, try that". Well, having had a listen to this today, all I can say is "If you like Melody Gardot, it's touch and go whether you'll like this" - and I'm afraid I don't.

I adored Worrisome Heart, and there is no doubt her voice on this new disc is still superb - but it's a bit too much of a departure for me. It is mostly so laid back it's almost asleep.

And what is the deal with the last track, Iemanja? It seems huge, over 18 minutes long. But it consists of 4 minutes of song, then about 11, yes ELEVEN minutes of complete silence, and then some shambolic noise for the final 3 minutes or so. If someone in the studio is trying to be clever, it doesn't work. So what looks like a 57 minute CD is really nothing of the sort.

Sorry - she has a great talent and a voice to die for, but after Worrisome Heart, I just didn't like this.
99 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2012
What a let down when I saw the art work (pre-realease)of the cd I began to worry what is it trying to say. My One & Only Thrill is a modern classic I feel I will still be captivated by it in many years to come but this is a waste of her talent, average elevator music. Perhaps not quite in a rush to buy the next one she needs to think of what direction & market she is aiming for that is if she has any choice.
on 30 June 2012
This is the second CD of hers I have purchased and it is very different from the first one, largely because of the South American musical influences of her Producer, Heitor Pereira. Her music is very subtle with a jazzy inflexion and I was initially not sure I would enjoy it very much. However, it has certainly grown on me and I suspect will continue to do so. One can also only admire the difficulties she has had to overcome after her terrible accident some years ago.
on 27 July 2015
I was a fan of her other albums and given how good they were, thought I'd give this a go. It's excellent, different influences come in to play and the album just flows. Great production, and at this price a bargain. If you've not found streaming yet, or are listening on the better end of the equipment spectrum and getting fantastic sound from cd, then this is well worth a "click"
on 11 July 2012
Ok, so first off, big fan. Have all discs including multiple editions (usually a big no no for me)and the early EP. Also rate a Melody Concert as probably best I attended in last 10 years. Now to this disc/set. Music overall - for me the weakest of the 3 main albums, but still way ahead of most of the pack out there. Production - irritated by the clicks on the beautiful track 3. Web traffic has established via Melody they are finger nail clicks so not a fault. Fair enough but still irritate. Then there is the last hidden track...after 11 minute wait it's a complete non event. So far though I would still go 4 stars but....
DVD - Feel somewhat swindled. First 2 tracks are nice remixes but there is no visual content. La Vie En Rose kicks in which is not on album so bound to be a visual surely, er...no and worse still it cuts off before the track ends .NOTE TO DELUXE HOLDERS, DOES YOURS DO THE SAME? MINE STOPS AT ABOUT 4 MINS WHEREAS AMAZON US STATES IT'S 5.16 LONG.IS MINE FAULTY? Last 2 parts of DVD are about making of La vie and some missives from Melody on where the album sprung from overall. Ok content here but by this stage I felt cheated. So as an overall package 3 stars just about does it.
on 16 August 2014
I'm a bit late 'discovering' Melody Gardot, but so glad I have. Lovely laid back songs on this CD, and not one filler - except, perhaps 'Track' 11 Iamanja which is definitely a filler! 18 minutes long, of which 15 minutes is silence. Bizarre - or maybe I've missed the point.... At least it's the last track, so you can stop playing after Track 10. Quality CD , nevertheless.
on 23 August 2012
Having played this album a half dozen times I'm disappointed with it. Melody Gardot and Heitor Pereira are not a match made in heaven.Their coming together has resulted in a boring hodge podge of musical cliches. It doesn't help that the songs themselves are pretty thin gruel. And what was she thinking with the cover art?