Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Alice Cooper Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£10.99

on 26 June 2017
A present for my son. He is very pleased.
on 19 June 2012
I bought this for my wife - an avid gardener and "Gardener's World" addict - but found Monty's gentle, flowing style has inspired me to not only read it....but to start gardening. An excellent book.....his enthusiasm and love of gardening shines through! Highly recommended......
on 22 December 2013
This is a lovely book with some beautiful photography and as ever the delightful musings of Monty Don. However, I feel it is lacking depth in some respects and I felt myself yearning for detail and information. The book deals with his garden at Longmeadow and how he has built it up over the last couple of decades. The book is broken into 12 chapters, with each chapter dealing with one month of the year. It was nice to read Monty's thoughts on each month and their impact on the garden.

I feel that this book is more suited for the veteran gardener who can relate to the joy of gardening, one garden for 20 years +. As a relative new comer, I was hoping for a little more explanation on how he divided his garden into the Jewel Garden, Ornamental Veg Garden etc. and his reasons behind it.

Overall, if you like his style on Gardeners' World and are looking for a pleasant (not too technical) read about gardening, then I think you would enjoy this book. If you are looking for a more in-depth detail on gardening I would recommend his book 'The Complete Gardener'.
on 8 June 2012
I was given this book as a birthday present because it is a family joke that most of my gardening 'wisdom' is prefaced by "Monty says..." so, yes, I'm a fan and maybe that's why I was disappointed by this book, a lot of it felt eerily familiar. In short there is very little in this book that isn't covered in more depth in 'The Complete Gardener' or 'The Ivington Diaries'. Even between chapters there is a lot of repetition, the passages on peas are a good example.
I realise that this is partly due to the format, in which each chapter is based around a month so that you can dip in and out but it still seems a case of poor editing and/or a way to pad out the book.
The writing is full of Monty's usual infectious enthusiasm as he waxes lyrical about the joys (and frustrations) of gardening and is full of useful bits of advice. I find his books a useful counterpoint to the more formal advice laid down in RHS manuals and reading his books always gives me new ideas (albeit scaled down - we don't all have the luxury of a couple of acres and ample funds).
However, if you want tips on how to garden buy 'The Complete Gardener' it's an excellent reference book. If you want to read about the development of Longmeadow, buy 'The Ivington Diaries' - an inspiring account of how the Dons created and maintain their garden. This book just feels like a chance to cash in on the recent Gardeners' World series and offers nothing new, bar a few references to the poor weather of 2011.
on 12 May 2012
I am a great fan of BBC Gardeners World so it was a natural urge to request Monty Don's "Gardening at Longmeadow" as a birthday present. On the TV programme, he is so easy to listen to with simple and distinct instructions and information and these attributes are very much carried into the book as it is just like listening to his easy, natural presentation. For example in the book he has a section on snails which are the bane of my gardening life and he not only talks about snails in general but also describes the different kinds of snails and how their habits differ so making it necessary to see what kind of snails one is trying to deal with and so choose the correct "attack" which is not necessarily synonymous with killing. A good read and an excellent reference book for the shelf.
on 26 March 2012
This is a gorgeous book. I got this after reading a balanced review on a gardening blog I read by "wellywoman".
I especially loved the photography. Its also quite a thick book so you do feel that you are getting your moneys worth (especially at the price that Amazon are selling it at)
If you like Monty or if you like looking and reading about gardening this is a good book to keep going back to.
on 28 May 2016
So informative, everything you need to know about a garden, based on his experiances and every chapter a new month in his garden. Stunning photographs of his own garden as well, really useful and beautiful book
on 17 April 2012
I loved his narrative, his enthusiasm, especially for those who grow vegetables. I would recommend this book to any general gardener.
on 25 May 2012
As a confirmed fan of Monty Don this latest book was a must-have. He is a practical gardener ( like the late Geoff Hamilton) and you know that what he says re gardening, planting,dealing with pests and other problems will work, because he has been there, done that and learned through his own experience. As he takes you through the gardening year, with lovely illustrations as a bonus, you cannot help but be enthused and want to get going in your own patch. Buy it, --it's worth every penny !!
on 19 July 2016
I really enjoyed this book. There is a lot concerning veg growing which I don't have room for but I'm inspired to grow some where I can. Longmeadow is on heavy clay as is my own plot so it's encouraging that Monty can grow stuff I thought wouldn't be possible on clay.
I don't necessarily agree with all of Montys gardening philosophies..and that's normal..for example he considers climate change is "done deal"...whereas I think it's the biggest environmental con trick of the 20th century. But hey ho...he's still a good unpretentious gardener in the Geoff Hamilton mould and just on that basis I'd recommend this book.
4 stars as I'd like more photographs but I'm being a bit picky.