on 14 March 2013
Charlotte ~ Pride and Prejudice Continues (The Pride & Prejudice Continues Series)

In Charlotte, the author takes us beyond Pride & Prejudice and Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy's trials and tribulations, to that of Mr. Collins, a thoroughly despicable creature, whom, as a character in Jane Austen's classic P&P was in all honesty her party piece. Mr. Collins appeared as a larger than life toadying and lecherous would-be suitor to Elizabeth Bennet, and one could almost hear his shuddering intakes of breath (sucked between teeth) and as a reader paid witness to drool at the side of his mouth.

I'm not sure how, but Ms Aminadra shines new light on Mr. Collins and one wonders if it was possible to have sorely misunderstood Jane Austen's previous characterisation of Collins in P&P as an obsequious and vile tongued manipulator. Charlotte, however, remains reasonably true to her original characterisation: seeking sense of direction and a house all her own, and views marriage with Mr. Collins a necessity at the outset. Likewise, as in P&P, Lady Catherine de Bourgh is true to character, and then comes the twist as Charlotte rallies strength to rebel and Mr. Collins ever the submissive to his patroness Lady de Bourgh suddenly becomes beholden to Mr. Darcy.

As a novel this is a fun read and highly amusing, though I'm not sure the Mr. Darcy of Austen's P&P would readily have paid court to Collins. Nevertheless, this is not an Austen novel, this is what amounts to a spin-off and "what might have been" had Jane Austen written a sequel to P&P.
on 7 August 2012
I enjoyed this e-book which was free on Kindle at the time I downloaded it. Apart from some lack of punctuation in places and mis-use of "peace" instead of "piece", the writing carried me along quite nicely, with no obvious jarring modern phrases that would have been out of place. I did not agree with the author's treatment of Colonel Fitzwilliam, who in the original came across as a perfect gentleman, or in fact Mr Collins, whose character was best left as it was in the original book. Charlotte was also different, and it was refreshing to see her getting the better of Lady Catherine. This story kept me turning the e-pages and I found it quite entertaining.
on 24 July 2017
Rubish, nothing to connect with Jane Austen works and style.
on 28 April 2017
I thought it is well written and will interest anyone who loves Pride and Prejudice in the way that I do.
on 1 August 2012
While I wouldn't put myself in the 'Jane Austen expert' category, but I am very fond of Pride and Prejudice and thought this book sounded like an interesting take on some of the lesser characters of the story. I found it to be a wonderful escape into Charlotte's world: the descriptions of her home and village, the new characters who were introduced, and the writing style, which really paid homage to Austen and the language of that time.

The novel takes up the reins from Charlotte's reassurances to Lizzie Bennett in Pride and Prejudice that, despite marrying out of practicality and not for love, she is happy with her lot. We then follow her through her first year of marriage; how she learns to live with Mr Collins' sycophancy and irritating idiosyncracies, the countless trips to Rosings and the overbearing behaviour of Lady Catherine de Bourgh, their 'benevolent and most wonderful Patroness'.

However, Charlotte is still a human being with a beating heart and finds that, upon witnessing the intimacy and happiness of those who have married for love, she begins to wonder whether she too can have her happy ending...

I found this novel an absolute delight and read it in one sitting. I was captivated with both the language and the story, which flowed along at a perfect pace and really opened the door to Austen's world. Both Charlotte and Mr Collins are really fleshed out as central protagonists in their own right and the author has sensitively and carefully enhanced them while staying true to the original. The story itself is also faithful to its roots, retaining the moral and romantic ethos that is so central to Austen's work.

Perfect rainy day reading!
on 17 September 2012
A beautiful continuation of Pride and Prejudice, Charlotte follows the story of Mrs Collins in her new life in Hunsford as the wife of Mr William Collins. The style is very much in the spirit of the original work, and the very believable storyline is one that might have been thought up by Austen herself had she written a sequel. I very much enjoyed reading this novel, and I think all fans of Pride and Prejudice will love it. I'd certainly like to see a TV dramatisation of this one day! Thoroughly recommended.
on 15 January 2013
I picked this title up as a cheap addition for my kindle with, in all honesty, not high hopes for the prospect of reading it. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is in fact a delightful read and an imaginative, well written and thoughtful extension to the already famous story of Lizzy Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy (who do make an appearance).

This story focuses on the Collins' and their married life together. It shows the true nature of Lady Catherine and the strength and intelligence of Charlotte. Karen Aminadra introduces new characters and extra side stories which combine to make this a very difficult book to put down.

The language is on rare occasions a little modern but nothing which can spoil the spell of the story. On the whole it's beautifully written and any fan of Miss Austen's will be truly spellbound by this captivating story.

I would love to see further books, I think Lydia's story could be an excellent follow up!! Here's hoping...
on 28 December 2012
I am a Jane Austin addict, so many of these spin offs leave me cold, most I havent finished; but Charlotte revisits Lady Catherine and she gets her just rewards!
I first bought it on Kindle then the book for a friend.
on 7 December 2012
To my shame, I've never read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. However after reading this I may well take the plunge. I have watched the TV dramatizations of the story many times, and this book stands up well.
The characters were well written and strong, even those with what you might call a bit part in the story, Like Mrs Higgs, for example, I really like her.
I also like Colonel Fitzwilliam, although my opinion of him changed as the story progressed. And as for Charlotte's husband, William Collins what a pathetic individual he is, and yet eventually I grew to like him and even felt sorry for him.
I'm surprised how much I enjoyed this book, as I'm not a particular fan of this type of story. However it was good, well written and kept me interested right up to the end.
on 19 September 2012
This was just lovely. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite books and it was so nice to read what happend to Charlotte in the end.