Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 22 June 2012
This is a very entertaining read. I saw the author on TV recently and he is a witty and well-informed commentator on all things to do with the city and banking. He used to be a broker so has first-hand experience of how it all works and the extreme personalities who inhabit this world. PAYBACK TIME is his second novel and he gets better and better, having honed his fiction writing craft. This one's about a group of banking friends who gang up on a bank to bring it down in revenge for the death of a colleague, who is presumed to have committed suicide because she was fired. It's a classic revenge heist and is fascinating about how fragile the banking system is, and how easy it is to force a bank's share price down to the brink of bankruptcy. If you want to know how Lehman's collapsed, this is a step by step guide! Scary stuff. The novel is very witty, there are some great lines, and the author has a sharp eye for the excesses and absurdities of the City. I loved it.
on 28 June 2012
Payback Time is the second fiction offering from Geraint Anderson, aka Cityboy, the young upstart who told us the warts and all reality of life in the City of London- how useless, feckless, drunk, overeducated and amoral everyone was - and very very rich.
Just Business was the first title and this continues in the same vein, with the hero Steve Jones uncovering much nefarious dealings amongst our friends with money, including illegal market manipulation.
Geraint Anderson must possess a crystal ball, and I decided to write my review today, just as Barclays are exposed as having - wait for it! - manipulated markets!
Not only does Anderson obviously know what's he's talking about, the book's fun and a page turner and I'm not sure I can ask for much more - except maybe some honesty from the bankers. But then we're all going to be waiting a long time for that.
More Geraint Anderson, please!
on 28 June 2012
Another cracker from Geraint Anderson. I liked 'City Boy', & loved this. Anderson has the insider's insight that makes this more than just the holiday blockbuster that it also is. From the opening scene he takes you on a terrifying journey into the dark heart of the banking world. I saw him on television recently: he was very funny, but he didn't look like I expected him to.
on 7 May 2015
Payback Time by Geraint Anderson is a compelling thriller from the bestselling author of Cityboy. He was born in Nottinghill, London, England to a Labour politician, Donald Anderson, Baron Anderson of Swansea, Wales and his missionary wife, Dorothy. He then undertook a degree in history at Queen’s College, University of Cambridge and he followed this with an MA in Revolutions at Sussex University. Anderson later went to the Goa, India where he planned a trading lifestyle selling trinkets. However, his older brother, Hugh, who worked as fund manager with ABN Ambro, a Dutch investment bank, arranged an interview in 1996 and Geraint Anderson was subsequently employed as a utilities analyst, composing models of publicly listed companies.

It was in 2006 that Anderson started writing his City Boy column for thelondonpaper and this became a popular piece with some readers of the newly launched free newspaper. but he was not revealed as the City Boy columnist until 18 June 2008. The following week he published his first book: Cityboy: Beer And Loathing In The Square Mile.

Payback Time was published in 2012. It tells the story of city high-flyer Bridget who, after she was recently fired from her bank, is found dead outside her high rise apartment. Her colleagues assume that she committed suicide. Cityboy Steve Jones is outraged. So, he and five city workmates who all knew Bridget, and each other, since university, decide to take revenge. They decide to hatch a plan which will involve bringing the very bank she worked for to its knees.

I was looking forward to this book as I really enjoy crime novels and am interested in the world of finance. However, I quickly tired of the constant drug taking, drinking and general attitude of ‘we have loadsa money’ from various characters.

At the early stage of the story,when Bridget’s body is discovered, the reader meets the five friends in the group. They consist of Fergus (Bridget’s boyfriend), John, Rachel,Colum and Cityboy, Steve. The characters make the story interesting and the reader is constantly guessing as to who is the rat amongst them. Initially, it seems that their plan worked but there is somebody within the group that has their own plan. This involves taking down not only Gedlust Bank but their friends.

As the plot is largely based around the bank where Steve works, for some readers, there may be too much financial detail in the plot itself. Having said that, it is explained pretty well so everybody should be able to follow the plot. Payback Time was a good enough read, however, if I am being honest I expected a lot more. I enjoyed this book well enough but I doubt that I would seek out more novels by Geraint Anderson.
on 4 July 2012
Better writing style than Cityboy, lots of humour but keeps tension up, at last a book about people taking revenge on the bankers ... but more complex than that. Loads of twists.

I read this in a weekend. Unique style and insights that make me laugh, think, and pray...

I laughed out loud several times reading this. Well done.
on 16 June 2013
Very much like Just Business rather than City Boy which I found very enjoyable
Very funny, cap markets, laddish City humour
Not too over the top in terms of plot and characters.
Easy to read and believable ending
Took me two hours in one seating on hols
Good to see Steve back in action!
Don't be put off by the City and cap markets side to this novel. It is very easy to understand and we explained in those small parts of the book.
Lots of local London references to Barbican and Shoreditch.
on 7 August 2012
By way of background, I am an American and had a friend from London who was visiting the States pick up a copy for me since it was not available for sale here. I read City Boy and Just Business and I must say, Geraint Anderson has done it again. Woven together a brilliant suspense thriller novel that leaves you on the edge of your seat practically the entire way through. No spoiler here, but the ending is excellent and I cannot wait for the next masterpiece to come out.
on 27 January 2016
Geraint is possibly my favourite writer. Among any books I ever read fact or fiction his is thee most captivating. I always finish them in a few days because I can't put them down. The characters are outstanding and the unapologetic reality of their personalities makes his books stand out. A must read if you like excitement and aren't pretentious and easily offended. 👍
on 11 July 2012
Decided to give this a go after reading a few glowing reviews. I can confirm it's a great book. Mr Anderson has a very witty style. Think I'll be checking out his other books for sure...
on 24 May 2013
I enjoyed 'City Boy' but the attempt at 'laddish humour' (which NEVER ends) style is wearing thin and I couldn't get beyond page 2. Total waste of money!