Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Steps Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 18 November 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After about 30 seconds with this piano I was reaching for the superglue to mute its speakers. There are two volume settings - unpleasantly loud and DEAFENING. I can see no reason why could possibly be a good idea to subject any child (or their parent) to the louder setting. But, superglue in place, it is now just about acceptable.

The twist on the usual piano toy is that every time a key is hit, a little hammer sends a coloured ball up a tube. This movement really grabs the attention of both my 10 month old and 2.11 year old, they both enjoy bashing it. It is a very sturdy toy and feels durable.

There are four settings:

- colour: pressing a key results in the corresponding colour being sung;

- numbers: pressing a key results in the corresponding number being sung;

- instrument: pressing a key selects selects an instrument and then the toy can be played like a keyboard (the least annoying setting);

- song: pressing a key selects a Leapfrog-authored song (ie not traditional songs or nursery rhymes). All the songs are, in my opinion, awful and I'm not looking forward to the day my children work out how to use this setting.

I genuinely think that the first two settings will encourage my youngest to learn his numbers and colours, so there is educational value above and beyond a standard keyboard, and the balls are very attractive to little ones. It is a very good toy - once muted!
on 27 August 2013
When I initially saw this online, I had doubts whether it was suitable for my 1 year old. I subsequently saw it in a departmental store and tried it out. The colourful leaping balls captivated me from the first go! The keys are arranged in scale thus you can play simple tunes like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Row Row Row Your Boat etc. I could only recognise one of the prerecorded songs, namely The Entertainer. Bought it from Amazon as soon as I came home as it was cheaper. My 1 year old loves banging on the keys with fingers and feet(!), making the balls leap vertically (and roll horizontally like a pinball machine!), biting it and carrying it around the room. It is sturdy, well made, no sharp corners, good sound/volume - I don't find it particularly loud. Withstood 4 months of play so far. Kept all of us entertained! The only downsides are (1)would have liked the prerecorded songs to have been popular nursery rhymes and (2) keys ought to have been made more similar to a piano with sharps and flats. Having said that, Highly recommended as a starter piano.
on 17 November 2012
I bought this for my 1yr old for Christmas but let my number-mad 3.5yr old have a go with it before putting it away and he's been having a right little giggle to himself. The piano sings the numbers to the normal notes in an octave. I've knocked a star off the rating because in the colours mode the piano sings again and 'brown' isn't very clearly pronounced. For the price it's definitely worth it. I was looking at a fisher price baby grand piano but i'd say this does as much as that for a fraction of the price and storage space and the poppin' balls probably make it more fun than flashing keys because everything flashes these days doesn't it!
on 15 February 2014
It occupies my eight month baby for a long time. However it is very loud even on the low volume setting and keep saying like "press a key to chose a song" which can be districting when the baby is concentrating on other thing. I find it a bit overpowering for young kids curiosity. It is good for entertaining for a while but not for learning music.
VINE VOICEon 21 February 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This toy piano does keep older toddlers amused for a while but the age specification of 12 months plus is perhaps a little ambitious.
on 18 August 2016
I've had this for about 3 years now and realised I haven't reviewed it. Great product, lovely and colourful but after so many years I have found that the quality of volume has reduced in that the singing is not as sharp anymore, despite putting new batteries in. However a child will not notice these things!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This daft little piano has been a big hit with our fifteen-month-old daughter. She has taken to dragging it around with her as she toddles, so that she can play it in any room she likes, like a proper little busker.

She's too young for the numbers and colours teaching to be relevant, but if she's happily banging away at the keys and she starts to associate some things together then it certainly won't do any harm. Hopefully she'll stay as keen on this toy in the future (obviously not too far into the future) as she is now, and it will start to have a little educational benefit too.

Other reviewers have said it is loud. I see their point, it's quite loud in the loudest of the two settings- maybe that's part of the appeal... the volume control (high/low/off) seems to have been designed for adult fingers though, it's not easy for the child to change that setting even though it's a visible button on the top of the piano, so you can be fairly sure if you set it to the quieter mode then it will stay in the quieter mode- and I didn't think that mode was too loud to be honest. It's not super-quiet, admittedly, but it's no louder than the other noise-making toys we've got.

The bouncing balls is a bit of a novelty. It's perhaps a little bit too easy to hit the keys hard enough to make the ball reach the top, but other than that it's a nice appealing cause-and-effect trick that our daughter seems to really enjoy.

You get a choice of different sounds in piano mode- so instead of just getting a piano noise, you can optionally have an organ, or a synthesizer (that was a surprise), or 'silly noises'. Some of these are actually surprisingly good, and the fact you can play multiple notes at the same time is good too. All you'd need are the black keys and you'd almost have a proper keyboard!

It's well built, not too heavy, and although it looks quite garish in Amazon's photos it's not that unpleasant to look at in real life.

I was very impressed with this and it definitely gets our daughter's sticky fingers of approval.
on 17 October 2013
This is brilliant my daughter loves it, it Is for her for christmas but when I was unboxing it it caught her eye I tried it out and it really caught her attention she is 5 months old and 7 months at christmas I know this is a lot earlier than it says but I thought why not because I can sit and play with it with her. It has different options for songs, colours and numbers it is great with lots of songs I would definitely recommend this
VINE VOICEon 23 November 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an excellent little toy that is a veritable child-magnet. Other reviewers have detailed the description and functions of this 'play-piano' so I won't bore readers with a repetition. Colourful and quite strong, the product will probably withstand a considerable amount of use by even the most vibrant of our youngsters. This is good as every time it emerges everyone seems to want to try it out. During the ensuing process of mayhem and extreme noise, the last thing that appears to be demonstrated is any level of gentleness of application. In other words it gets 'banged' a lot.

If I have one tiny criticism it is that the product does not come supplied with a set of ear-protectors. After a while the sound of colours and numbers, each shattering any temporary equilibrium, does tend to make you want to check that you have a ready supply of paracetamol. I can see that the longevity of interest in a product like this will be dependent upon the age of the children involved. I understand that it is designed for young children aged between 1 and 3 years. This sounds about right. If you are looking for a gift for a child in this age group, and want something that will keep provide a burst of excitement and fun, you won't go far wrong here.
VINE VOICEon 18 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The good points are many - it's extremely well made, durable, and it feels like a toy that could take a fair amount of damage - a fact that's very important for its target audience! As an educational tool it's a very solid piece of equipment - along with different musical instruments, there are modes to teach first colors, then numbers, something that increases the lifetime of the piece. As many have already noted here, it's very loud - a little too loud I think. There is a two-step volume switch, but to be honest even the lower volume switch is a little too loud for my taste - the higher setting is too much. A child will not complain, but for us adults it's going to be extraordinarily annoying! The only other negative is that the songs included for the 'songs' setting are not traditional songs e.g. Twinkle Twinkle, etc. I'm not sure what the reason for this is - surely all the 'standards' are comfortably in the public domain?

But in summary, we were really pleased with it. It's a very solid well-made product, and Leapfrog have given a lot of thought into coming up with a device that has a bit of longevity. First just the fact of hitting the keys and making a noise, then the ball that goes up and down on each key press, then musical instruments, then colors, then numbers. I would have no hesitation in buying this as a present for a friends child.... BUT I would apologize in advance for the noise :)