on 14 October 2016
I really enjoyed this book and hadn't realised that one main character actually existed. His real history can be read on Wikipedia or other media methods.
The book is a great story and for me, quite gripping. I read it within 5 days which is very quick in my schedule. Twists & turns and some insignificant mentions become significant later in he story. Really enjoyed this book but no yet followed up with the series.
on 1 February 2017
I have just finished reading this book In The Land of the Long White Cloud, I loved it from start to finish, it gave such a insight to how these 2 Women from two different backgrounds came to New Zealand to make new lives for themselves, Helen Davenport travelling to Marry a Man she found through a notice , she arrived with 6 Orphans who had been sent with her to be Servants, and the other Lady Gwyneria lost by her Father in a card game to Marry the Son of a Sheep Baron, and both Women were abused , I have just started the second book in Song of the Spirits
on 5 May 2013
Despite the author's bizarre geographical placement of various parts of the world, I could find no other complaint. Neatly written, excellently proof-checked. Every reason to believe that the historical side has been well researched. The characters are all well-rounded and believable.

I would not want to give away the plot as that is the joy of reading the book. There are so many twists in the tale that it is really un-putdownable. My Kindle ran out of battery while I was reading it - panic! The only reason I do not give it five stars is that the style of writing, while clear, precise and accurate, is slightly simple. More Daily Mail than Daily Telegraph, if you get my drift. This will not be a problem and may be an advantage to most readers. Get it for the story and you will not be dissapointed.
on 10 May 2017
I found the beginning a little tedious, but perseverance well worth it. After a while I couldn't put it down. Descriptions of landscape came alive in my imagination and I ended up enjoying it. And the "goodies" ended up with happy endings.
on 25 February 2016
An enjoyable read from start to finish. I found myself unable to put it down. The two main female characters come from very different backgrounds but find themselves in New Zealnd amongst mainly male settlers. It was not only interesting to think of the way women were second class citizens in the late 1800's, but especially in such a harsh and male dominated country. The story of how they struggled and found their way in their adopted country, with ups and downs, love and children was gripping- but thankfully it is a long book so the story doesn't end too soon!
on 23 November 2016
So looked forward to this book...started great and then as it rolled on I wished it would end. It felt as though no one was brave enough to edit it...the story line about the little girls seemed to fade into background. Could have done with a bit of editing or perhaps a sequel instead of packing it all in one book. But a good book for a long holiday and interesting if you have a thing about our pioneering forefathers.
on 28 January 2017
Beautiful written. Descriptive narrative, a journey of two interesting women entwined with New Zealand first settlers and the Maori. I was hooked from the first page...
on 4 June 2014
I didn't know whether it was the anachronisms of the original writer that put me off or whether it was the failings of the translator - Using centimetres as a measurement in 19th Century England was a dead give away, along with many other too numerous to mention. I persevered and got through it. It should have come with a check list to tick off all the clichés once you'd spotted them as far as the characterisation was concerned. The author cites her historical research at the end. However, I don't actually think she'd read any of it as a quick check of google shows the majority of the Maori uprisings were before 1872 which is when she sets her uprising.
On the plus side - I didn't pay for this as it was part of the free book from the Galaxy Kindle offer. I would have felt let down if I'd had to pay good money for it
on 8 December 2012
This is a wonderful story of ladies leaving England to marry men they have not met before in New Zealand. I was, however, irritated by the American terms and spelling used all the time. I have nothing against Americans and don't wish to cause offence but when a books main characters are English then, surely, the language and spelling should be in UK English? Apart from this I really enjoyed the book and was sad when I reached the end! Maybe I will read it again soon. The characters are wonderful, especially the native Maoris. The ladies, well, girls really, set off into the unknown and the story follows their experiences and those of the orphan children who were sent over to New Zealand at the same time, to work in service. The service some of them found themselves in was not what they expected! A heartwarming story.
on 25 February 2015
This was the ideal book for my first Kindle read. Received as a surprise Christmas gift, as I'm a real book person took awhile to use it. An amazing insight to the plight of early settlers to New Zealand and follows such a lovely story of two young women who's lives couldn't be so different starting out on an adventure that would see them overcome many challenges. I have been to New Zealand several times and the Author has taken me back once more by her wonderful and dramatic story telling. If you want accurate historical facts this isn't for you. I've also read The Colour by Rose Tremain, if you finish all three in this series then do give it a try, well worth it. Set in New Zealand with a family in search of gold!