Customer reviews

perfect
on 1 February 2016
perfect
on 26 January 2016
After having enjoyed Terry Oldfield's music in the 70s and 80s I found this by him. I have say I absolutely HATE it. What a disappointment and waste of money.
on 18 February 2013
One of Terry's best pieces of truly magical music that takes you to a different realm. I can highly recommend this one to any Terry Oldfield fans.
5 people found this helpful
on 1 September 2013
Great entertainment. I bought this on behalf of a friend who tells me he thinks it's fantastic. He had several other CDs by the same artist.
2 people found this helpful
on 29 November 2012
I have many albums by Terry Oldfield and this one has a different feel to it. It's not just his brother Mike's contributions to three of the tracks - it's much more than that!
6 people found this helpful
on 27 June 2013
After listening to this album a good few times it's sort of grown on me. My original post was perhaps a little harsh. I'm a long time fan of Mike and figured Terry might be worth a listen - plus I like flutes...in general. I wasn't expecting so much of the chanting and Hare Krishna references so it was immediately not my area of sonic comfort. Journey into space is a deceptive title and perhaps not really indicative of the content which is essentially looped drum beats/ tablas/percussion with lots of eastern layered vocals and the occasion Strat or Classical guitar(?) overdubbed by Mike Oldfield. Vangelis’ Rosetta is much more reflective of a journey into space and more cinematic but persist I did and once I'd edited the tracks to remove or shorten the vocal elements I really quite like it. It's a well produced album. Great reverbs and delays employed to good spacial effect....very Oldfield. There are a lot of loops employed on this which I guess helps with the trance effect and hypnotic ‘ don’t get too into the music – get into yourself’ message embedded within the endless chants, but perhaps a few more instruments may have made it more interesting but not deviating from the mantra..so to speak. I think if you know Terry Oldfield then this may well be a great addition to the canon but coming in as a lifelong fan of Mike I was expecting more. Ultimately you can definitely relax to this album and get lost in your own world for a while which is, at the end of the day, what it is designed for, nothing too demanding, nothing too distracting and something to help you drift off and focus on whatever you’re trying to focus on. Just not my cup of Oldfield tea , which needs less sugar, more instruments and a drop of complicated signature changes designed to make you give up the guitar and piano.
10 people found this helpful