Customer reviews

Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus 7.1 PCI Express Soundcard

on 8 October 2012
Have been an avid PC gamer for some years and have changed my PC spec time and time again. Was looking for a good gaming soundcard as my older soundcard gave up the ghost, Did alot of investigation into the latest tech and came across the Asus Phoebus. Specs and card looked awesome and the original teething problems with drivers looked to be solved with a beta driver update. Installed the card and updated drivers and tried BF3, awesome sounds from gunfire to explosions. Changed to MW3 and bang kicked out to desktop, tried S/P and M/P with the same results. Out of 5 different games only 1 would work BF3, un-installed driver and wow games would run without a problem. Did a fresh install of wind 7 (ultimate) but to no avail same thing happened every time, the card in the specs is great but with poor drivers and no look of anything getting updated is in my opinion a serious flaw. I eventually sent my card back under the 30 day returns policy but may indeed buy this card again if or when they address the serious driver flaws.
on 5 July 2015
Only windows compatible...
on 17 October 2014
I'm not an audiophile. However, I do have a discerning taste when it comes to quality. The graphic interface is weird with all the main tools hidden behind right click. But wow the sound is immediately more expansive. I only have stereo headphones, music is a dream but even movies are handled excellently. Games are full on assault on the ears. Asus has definitely joined the higher circle of pc audio.
on 14 July 2012
You could go with almost any Xonar sound card if you're looking for an upgrade from your crappy onboard device, but if you want to go a bit further you should consider the Phoebus; especially if your main activity is gaming. To make it brief I've compiled a list of some key features I like about this card:

+ Exceptional sound in film and music
+ Great feeling from games using GX3.0
+ The headphone amplifier, which has replaced my previous amps
+ The volume controller and its mic + sound feature
+ The drivers
+ The design

Of course, as pointed out by others and is still an issue as far as I know, is the driver issues with games running through punkbuster. I feel that it is a big setback for a high-end gaming soundcard. However, I feel that it would be unfair to give it less points as it is an issue which will most likely be resolved shortly by ASUS (said to be done by mid-July). What is most important is the initial impression of this card and how it performs overall. I would recommend this card to gamers, but even those who aren't really game enthusiasts as it may be a considerable equivalent to STX or Titanium HD if you are looking for a 7.1 capable card over one which is 2.0. However, if you are playing Battlefield 3 and such, I would suggest that you wait with buying the card until the issue with such games has been fixed/patched; what you gain from the wait is most likely a lowered price and a better initial impression once you do get it.
on 20 June 2012
The sound from this card is lovely just take my word for it ,and yes its not cheap to buy but the features are great if you like playing games .

Now for the "BUT" ,it seems to have a driver issue that stops you playing some games on line (bf3 being one).This is a total shame gived that is basicly the purpose of this card and hopefully there will be an update soon too sort this out .

So no 5 stars yet !!
on 1 December 2015
A great sound card. IT's the best I've ever owed. It's easy to install, and with the latest drivers I've not had any problems, like other reviews that are kicking about for it.

Granted some top of the range motherboards now have great sounds cards built in, but if you haven't got one of those, this is a great upgrade. It really brings out audio in games, you didn't even know were there!

I only have a 5.1 setup, but for FPS like games, it's great for knowing someone/thing is coming up behind you! Just got to build a sound proof room now, so I don't annoy the rest of the family! :)
on 14 September 2014
Bought 2 of these for both myself and my sons gaming rig, works great straight out the box with latest driver. Just remember to disable onboard audio within BIOS and when downloading latest graphics driver, check custom install and uncheck HD Audio driver as well. Then configure it within windows and when using software it comes with right click the various settings and configure it there as well. Sounds great and with a good set of speakers and amplifier even better.
on 5 June 2015
Absolute perfect quality
on 25 January 2014
Driver support for this card is far beyond terrible, look at the dates for how regular updates are released and the problems others are having. You have been warned.
on 20 January 2013
I buy ASUS notherboards because they reliable and come with the appropriate software. The Phoebus is good hardware with one critical exception - the optical output jack and the 7.1 analogue side speaker jack are one and the same jack. So if you have a 7.1 speaker setup, as I do, and wish to use the digital output as well, as I do, WIHTOUT messing around pulling connectors in and out then you are out of luck.

The software. As a professional programmer I just cannot see how the software under went any testing that is commensurate with the term professional. The software to configure the hardware is not simple and direct for a user to achieve their basic goals. One cannot even resize the damn window - a typical Microsoft behaviour; this really is a symptom of lazy programming with no regard to the user.

One other problem I am having is that everytime I switch on the PC I am having to test the analogue speaker setup to check that each individual speaker is still assigned to its proper position eg the side speaker is still outputting the appropriate side channel. Quite frequently I have to change the 3 audio leads, between the card and the speaker system, around to get back to the proper arrangement. This means that the software is, on start up is changing the jacks output audio channels - thankfully the optical cum analogue jack seems to be not affected.

All in all, do not buy this hardware.
I hear the cheaper ASUS cards are much more mature and reliable and just as good; a more cost effective solution.