TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 February 2013
I hate to admit this but only picked up my very first Jenny Colgan book towards the end of last year (yes I know it's ridiculous) but that book was The Cupcake Café. I devoured it and was thrilled when I realised there was a follow up book that had just been released. I eagerly picked up this one, Christmas at The Cupcake Café, and couldn't wait to see where Issy was in her world.

For those that maybe haven't read the first one, fear not this can still be read as a stand-alone. However, it was so much more enjoyable being able to go back and see how all the characters were getting on. Issy took the plunge in book one and started up her very own Cupcake Café. We now go back to the café to find Issy, along with her two workers Pearl and Caroline running the café in their usual no-nonsense way. Issy is in love with her boyfriend Austin who works at a local bank, and things seem to be going smoothly for her. That is until Austin is called away on business to New York.

The distance between them is the start of things going very wrong for Issy and pretty soon it seems that nothing is the same as before and she has no control over things. The one major difference between this book and the last although I still wanted to know about Issy, I was also really keen to see more of Pearl and Caroline. Although Issy is the main character, Jenny Colgan has done a stellar job of making the reader really engage with all the characters. Austin's younger brother Darney, Issy's mother, Doti the Postman, they all caught on with me and I just wanted to keep reading about all of them.

This book didn't have nearly as much impact with me as the first (not sure why), but this certainly isn't to say I didn't enjoy it. I really enjoyed it and as usual it took me only two days to read it. The one thing I love is that these characters are memorable; I would really love to see the return of not just Issy but the other characters too. The story itself was good, but like I said just didn't have as much impact as the first. There is the addition of recipes all the way through the book which is a really nice touch, although it did make me quite hungry more often than not. Having finished it I am eagerly planning on getting stuck to other Jenny Colgan books. Another really good book!
on 22 March 2017
I love Jenny's books, having started with Rosie's sweet shop I went on a binge and bought loads more. I fell in love with the cupcake cafe as who doesn't love cupcakes right so to have another book in the series was great.

Issy is back and it's Christmas, not everyone is in the Christmas spirit but the cupcake cafe is busier than ever when Issy's boyfriend Austin is scouted for a possible job in New York. Issy has to decide what is more important to her the cafe or her boyfriend.

With a plethora of Christmas bakes making you smell the cinnamon and feel completely festive this is the perfect book to curl up with at Christmas.
Having read and loved Meet Me At The Cupcake Cafe, I was really looking forward to this, the sequel. It can be read as a stand-alone book, but it was nice to meet up with the characters from the first book again.

This time, Austin finds himself in New York, being headhunted for a new job. Issy has a dilemma: does she go with the only man she's ever loved, or does she stay behind at her beloved Cupcake Cafe? Darny, Austin's younger brother, is being his usual awkward self, Pearl and Caroline are still rubbing each other up the wrong way at the cafe and there are cakes galore again.

This book is a lovely read, just right for the time of year. I'm really enjoying Jenny Colgan's 'foodie' books and I think she gets them just right.
on 18 July 2017
I bought this book as I enjoyed the first Cupcake Cafe novel. This one seemed to be very contrived, just to give people a follow up to the previous one I just mentioned - Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe. Storyline was weak and I expected more from Jenny Colgan.
on 16 February 2015
Issy Randall is back for Christmas at her quaint Cupcake Cafe but will things be the same when her boyfriend, Austin, is sent to New York for work? While Issy couldn't be happier baking delicious holiday treats for her customers, the absence of Austin and the fact that he may not be coming home weigh heavy on her heart. This is another great read for those who met and loved Issy the first time around. E
on 8 July 2015
Wonderful update on the Cupcake Cafe original book. It was like returning home after a while to meet old friends again: 5 star rating from me :)
on 14 May 2017
Good reading
on 5 December 2012
Wow Jenny Colgan has done it again..... another excellent book. I love reading and baking so this book is my perfect read and it really does show the true meaning of Christmas, not gifts but spending time with family and friends. I really hope to read about Issue and Austin again soon.
on 14 October 2015
Love Jenny!!!
on 19 June 2017
Arrived promptly and was as described.