on 21 June 2012
Feeling down, cold or fed up. This is a great book to read for a smile or on holiday or just for tension release. The beauty queen heroine makes me smile as she discusses murder and wardrobe all in one breath. May be not totally believable but then I am one of the rare breed that does not believe East Enders is real either. Intellectual it ain't but light hearted reading it certainly is.
on 15 June 2014
Once again a great read, light hearted, funny, thrilling and makes you want to keep reading. As usual Happy is a beauty pageant queen who loves to follow in her Dads footsteps and solve crimes, usually getting her into trouble along the way, and much to the dislike of her husband and mum.
on 22 May 2013
I got the first in the series free and after reading i immediatly downloaded the rest of the series. A great cozy read with action and mystery, i just cant wait for the next installment
on 12 February 2013
Really enjoyed this book, great follow up and look forward to the next! Kept me guessing until the end. .
on 22 January 2013
I'm enjoying this series. It is light and easy to read plots are fun and I'm pleasantly surprised to learn more about the beauty pageants that are now the norm, in contrast with how they were some 30 or more years ago. Good on you ladies.
on 23 April 2013
An amazing read as always and worth the money but I did find the ending to be rushed and somewhat disappointing. Not disappointing in the storyline, just the approach and realisation who the killer was. But would still recommend it.
on 5 July 2014
Fantastic - hard to put down!
on 22 August 2012
This s the second book of this writer I have read. They have been a nice easy read especially on the kindle.
on 15 June 2016
Found it boring. I have read all the previous Diana Dempsey book and enjoyed them.
on 30 May 2014
I enjoyed this novel, maybe a little less than the first in the series, but it was a light and fun read.

Here we meet Happy Pennington again, who is in Las Vegas to attend Ms America colleague, Sally Anne's wedding. However, the proceedings are swiftly curtailed when the best man is murdered. Happy is eager to investigate and has her mother and her friend and former room mate Shanelle, to assist in her search for the killer They also rope in Trixie another beauty queen and cross paths with Emcee Mario, who Happy has a crush on, as well as the Queens carrying out Ms America duties as dancers.

This is the second novel in the Ms America sleuthing series, the first was set on Oahu, where Ms Ohio won the the national competition and solved the murder to boot. It is a clever concept giving the author license to talk about the girls outfits, and beauty tips, without it seeming vacuous, because these details are relevant to the plot.

I did enjoy the quirky amateur detecting of Ms America and her comrades, but for some reason I just didn't feel as involved as I did with the previous outing. I don't know if it just seemed a little too familiar, with the formula in place of the evening cocktail, the sneaking around first thing in the morning in the same clothes and Mr Pennington's only role being to continue to fret over his wife's investigator aspirations. I was hoping that Jason would see the dodgy video taken of his wife with Hans Finkelmeister and that they might then argue and this would provide romantic intrigue, and maybe push Happy temporarily in the direction of Mario.

The characters who formed the peripheral cast were varied, and I liked the descriptions of the different hotels not having visited the city myself.
The red herrings were also well placed and I really didn't know who did it until the murdered was revealed. I did feel that some of the characters were revisited too frequently such as Cassidy and her criminal activities, but I liked some of the madder people such as Brandon, Samantha St James and Hans Finkelmeister.

Overall, this is a pleasant read, it is definitely worth taking to the beach, but personally Vegas's neon didn't sparkle the way the perfect glint of the surf on Waikiki beach did for me.