on 7 February 2011
I started reading this book and after a few pages it seemed familiar. After looking through my Nothern Soul book collection I realised it's the same book as 'Too Darn Soulful' which is very difficult to source and expensive if you can find a copy. I'm not saying this is a bad book in fact it's very good and I enjoyed it but if you are looking for a copy of Too Darn Soulful then buy this one and save yourself a fortune.
on 21 March 2011
A great read for soul fans, lots of comments from the people involved in the 70's. Good memories from those who lived through the scene's heyday. The songs, Dj's, clubs, conflicts and drugs are all covered at great lengths. The foreign scene and up to date events are all covered. I could't put it down.
on 17 February 2014
Bought this for a good friend who was housebound for a while after an op. He says he is enjoying the book and it brings back wonderful Northern Soul memories. A great dancer in his day, Wigan Casino, Blackpool and so on, delighting the onlooking audiences, so this book takes him back, loves it.
For a long time I've enjoyed listening to Northern Soul but I'm far from being an expert, nor have I been to an all-nighter. I was keen to learn more about the scene and the music and hoped that this book would fill in the rather large gaps in my knowledge.

It's a slightly frustrating read. Initially I found it fascinating, as it told the story of how the music became popular in England, eventually leading to the Wigan Casino scene, but for me the book felt rather fragmented, the text peppered with "top 10s" of Northern Soul songs liked by certain individuals, and numerous reminiscences by people who attended events at the likes of the casino. For a while these are interesting, as you get a feel for what it was like, going to an all-nighter, being there, and then how it felt afterwards, but to me the book seemed to run out of steam, appearing to give up on the narrative and concentrating on the memories of those who were there. Personally this made the book rather dull and drawn out for me, but I imagine that if you were there at the time and had attended the venues in question it will be a great read.
on 6 September 2015
a good book informative and brought back so many memories. e few people mentioned in the book I knew. eg people from horwich. read it whilst on holiday in Marrakesh for my 60th
on 15 January 2013
5 star book. great read coulden't put it down, this book brought back many memories for me, fanstastic imformation on music clubs Dj's also some really good interviews with northern soul fans. i would recommend this book to all soul fans.
on 29 October 2012
proberbly the best written book on this wonderful and quirky genre called northern soul both for the novice and those in the know.enjoy the sounds you,ve never heard of and the memories you may have missed on the now legendary northern soul scene.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2013
I bought this for a present, but have been informed that is a good read for any soul fan that visited the scene in the 70's, it does mention Wigan and I will be borrowing it after they have read it.
on 8 May 2013
Brings back happy memories of music scene generally and fills in a lot of missing gaps in my knowledge of Northern Soul. Any music lover can enjoy this book!
on 4 May 2016
I bought this as a present.They were really pleased with it being a northern soul fan.It brought back many memories.It was a good buy.Glad I chose it.