Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.64

on 6 March 2013
kindle edition purchased

I bought this book as part of my long-term research into Gaelic Ireland - my particular interest being in social matters; law, domestic arrangements, the status of women etc - and I was very hopeful. Having now almost finished reading I am a little uncertain as what to say in assessment. Some areas proved very interesting and quite useful, while others were lacking in detail or provided information directly contradictory to that which I have read numerous times in other sources. In and least one instance information given in one part of a sentence was immediately conradicted by the second part, possibly the result of poor checking prior to publication, but important nevertheless.
Finally I found the author much biased towards particular geographical areas of Ireland - inland parts of Munster and Connacht as an example. If you are yourself particularly interested in these areas this may be a very good book for you - unfortunately for myself my interest is particularly in the coastal areas of the west, especially counties Mayo and Galway, the latter of which is examined a little but the former barely mentioned.

I have given this book 4 stars because there are many passages interesting and useful to an interested reader or researcher. Also, a reader with interests in the areas focussed upon could find this book valuable. It is all a matter of personal taste - for myself, parts were excellent, but others a great disappointment.
on 21 September 2016
All good.
on 20 February 2016
This is one of the most important and useful books academically and for the novice history buff on Irish culture and heritage pre-English legislation to make Ireland English. Clear concise and just a great read.