Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 25 November 2012
From the moment I picked the book up I was totally hooked, I couldn't put it down and I never wanted it to end. Always you, Edina is one of those books that you can relate to and made me wish that I had an Aunt Ed.

There is a sense of gentleness and humour through out the whole story which makes you feel like you are there witnessing everything and experiencing what life is throwing at the perfectly developed characters, which for me is always a sign of a successful book.

Buy this book now to experience Aunt Ed, Bonnie, the gran we've all probably had oh and the seagull.
on 18 March 2013
2nd VG Lee novel and as impressive as Diary of a Provincial Lesbian, although very different.

VG has an uncanny ability to write about the failings and frailty of human emotions and personality, with a sense of love, warmth and understanding, without lessening the impact of folly.

Some moments are bittersweet with the sweetest of loving gestures, but to the wrong character, or to the supposed wrong character, causing a domino affect to other members of the family.

At the centre or the storyteller is Bonnie who is likable and creates plenty of LOL moments with the way she deals with matters of great and lesser importance as a young girl.

The central love story involves 2 brothers and Edina, and its not until the end when the full picture is finally revealed that you realise how they managed to exist in such a suffocating, explosive bubble. I guessed Brian's secret quite early on, when it could first have been apparent but kept guessing at Bonnie's.

VG Lee presents a 'normal' family thriving and surviving through their dysfunction in the Midlands in the 1960s.

I LOVED it. Thanks VG! Whens the next book out?
on 13 August 2012
Life in the sixties as a child is something I know about. VG Lee summons it up, almost Proustian!! I can smell it. The wool, the Jumble sales, what you bring back that might not be so savoury. We're talking stuffed seagull here!

Joking aside, Lee's story is a tender and humorous reminiscence of formative times through the eyes of the child Bonnie. Her glamorous Aunt Edina is the thing you wish to be,the magic of a life different to her own. There is an element to the writing that is almost sensually exciting at times whilst detailing the smaller images of our heroine's life and the passage of time to her adult self. Bonnie has a difficult time of it, as do the rest of the family, though her relationship with Gran is the anchor within the story. Life is neither a triumph or a tragedy but a thing to get through the best way you can, making the best of what you have or haven't. The devil is in the detail, the minutiae.

Lee is our own Carol Shields, a master of the gradual dazzle. She shows us that peoples lives are ordinary but not without significance and have at times a real joy and resolution found in the strangest of places and times.
on 11 September 2015
I loved it. Slipped down a treat like a warming cup of cocoa. Bonnie Benson is one of the most rounded and engaging characters I've read in a long time. The story follows her at two stages in her life, 30 years apart, in a way that shows off the subtle yet unavoidable links that stretch from child- to adulthood in all of us. The Edina of the title is a mesmerising character, one of those force-of-nature people who strikes us at a tender age and, one way or another, never leaves us. Lee's writing and her way with a turn of phrase is a delight (the line "It is a jar of dead caterpillars" will stay with me for a long time, always with a smile on my face). She has created a memorable cast and set them in a world and a period (1960s) that feels utterly genuine. A terrific read, highly recommended. This is my second VG Lee title and I will be searching out more.
on 8 July 2013
This is the second book I have read from this author and it proved to be an excellent read. I could easily identify with the time period it's set in and the characterisations are very interesting and believable. To me, and I suppose most other people, a book is good if I am involved enough in the plot or the characters to want to keep turning the pages. For it to be so well written is one added bonus, for it to be free of errors is another. Hours of entertainment and money well spent. I am about to start my third book by the same author.
on 3 February 2013
I read this book through in two sittings & I was very sad when it came to an end. VG Lee writes with conviction & a passion about her subjects that brings them to life. By the time the book ended I felt as though Bonnie, her grandmother, Edina, Susan et al were long lost family. It is written with a tenderness & emotion that is lacking in a lot of today's literature. My only complaint is that it was/is too short. Congratulations VG Lee on a thoroughly entertaining & most enjoyable read. I look forward to acquainting myself with the rest of your oeuvre.
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2012
Always you,Edina is a haunting book. We meet the central character, Bonnie Benson, as a child and as an adult. She is an endearing and vulnerable character in both guises with a sharp eye. Her thoughts and observations stayed in my mind long after I closed the book, as did the images of family life which V G Lee so skillfully evokes. This is a well observed and touching novel which I was truly sorry to finish. Ms Lee writes with wit and generosity.
on 6 July 2013
Evocative of the fifties, characters come alive. Comic touches with slow realisation of adult realities and some whistfulness. I abandoned hiiary mantel to grab this book at every chance i got and was sorry when i finished it
on 21 May 2012
This book is a heartwarming evocation of working class family life in the Sixties - there isn't much time to consider how people feel - its enough to just get on with the business of living. Hence Bonnie is left to her own devices ,observing the adults around her,relying on her own imagination and coming to her own conclusions. Beautifully drawn portraits of the characters within - my favourites are Bonnie and Gran - I loved it!
on 24 November 2012
I simply fell in love with this book! Ms Lee is a wonderful author. She has an amazing talent for creating characters that you want both hug and strangle all at the same time. The humour is bittersweet and the story tugged at my heartstrings. Bonnie is adorable, and as for that seagull - oh my goodness! A fantastic read!!!