on 9 September 2013
The story is set at the time when a lot of the Scots were having their land taken for sheep farming and the displaced trying their luck in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. I was hoping for a story with more historical background and found instead a story of couples promising to wait while fortunes are made or lost. Lot's of 'Does he/she really mean to stay faithful to his/her promise'. It was okay.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 August 2014
Amazing! Well researched, credible characters, un-put-downable. Although each book in the trilogy stands alone I would advise reading them all with no gaps. I felt totally transported. The subtle changes in social attitudes as time goes by are present without distraction. I'd happily give it a 5 +!
2 people found this helpful
on 20 November 2016
I thought the book was too slow moving and could anticipate what was coming next but towards the end it seemed to gallop to the end.
I am sorry I have already down loaded the following two books in the trilogy as I fear I am in for another flat,bland read.
on 13 October 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, delighted to read that it is based on real lives to the extent that it is. Concern though at the number of grammatical errors and in particular Sir James replaced by Sir Edward and Andrew, even reading the pages of book two included here the names are again mixed up....disappointing. I am reading on my kindle and wonder if Kindle editions are not subjected to a full and professional editing?
4 people found this helpful
on 25 October 2016
My wife's review: Read this (was a freebie) and just had to read the next two books. Great saga and page turner, if you like historical sagas you will love this.
on 3 April 2018
Not the book for me I am afraid. Seemed to drag out.
on 11 June 2013
A very interesting story, and very readable. I would like to have read more about the actual countryside and the other people in the story, but truly enjoyed the read, I would like to have seen more information on the actual building of the cabins etc....but that's me. A very nice story.
One person found this helpful
on 18 October 2014
This novel was a free book and I must say was a good taster to read more. I found the character's likable and you wanted them to succeed. The setting was very different from the norm. I will read more from Kate Hewitt
One person found this helpful
on 11 November 2015
A book I did not want to put down. Cleverly entwined tales of two different families set in a background of 1800 Scotland and canada
on 7 January 2016
This book is great made me happy and sad and wanting to get to the next chapter. I will now start on the second book which sounds just as interesting