on 6 December 2012
After many years (my whole life, in fact) of having a dry and flakey scalp, I have finally found a shampoo that works. Since i was a child i have tried many different products to try and eliminate dandruff, using various shampoos such as Head and Shoulders, Polytar, T Gel and Nizoral, to name a few. After years of treatment and no results, I came across this shampoo in my local pharmacy. At first I wasn't going to bother purchasing it because of the past experiences I have had with anti-dandruff shampoos, but decided to give it a chance. I picked up the Alpecin Double Effect because it apparently fights against hair loss as well as dandruff, althought I am only 23 and not worrying about hair loss at my age, i thought i'd give it a go, not to expect results but perhaps to prove that yet another shampoo will fail in treating my scalp for dandruff. I did not notice any results after the first use, but then again we must give these things a chance to work as they say. I was pretty surprised after the second wash, as the amount of dandruff that usually comes from my scalp seemed to be reduced. Following several washes I am very pleased to discover that the shampoo actually works - not a flake of dandruff in sight. I am unsure if it actually fights against hair loss, but if you have had problems over the years with dandruff, I would suggest giving Alpecin a chance. Althought i suppose everyone is different.
on 16 April 2016
Put the hype to one side. What this product will not do is help you regrow hair or solve your thinning issues. However, what it does do very well is dry out the sebum on the scalp which holds the substance responsible for hair loss in MPB close to the hair follicle. I have been using this product daily for around a year or so and the results are good - it reduces hair loss; i.e. slows it down. Make sure you leave it on for as long as you can before rinsing - I tend to use it twice a day (once in the morning, once after gym) and it reduces the 'tacky' feel on the scalp that is the cause of MPB.
I haven't given it a 5 star review because it doesn't do the following things: Doesn't make your hair grow back (but does arrest much further loss), doesn't have a component to thicken hair (resulting in me using it in conjunction with a thickening shampoo which may dilute the product's effects), and it doesn't have a colour protection element for those who colour their hair.
All in all, a good product for slowing down your thinning. You have to wash your hair with something, may as well be this.
on 9 July 2016
Its shampoo, it foams and cleans and keeps me regular, enough said. I didnt buy this for the hair falling out bit, just the dandruff bit, so I am not able to comment on whether its stopping my follicles withering or not, no dusty shoulders at the moment. I am worried the caffeine is going to stop me passing drugs tests at the Olympics, unless they start testing the burger flippers I think I am safe there. Wash and be happy.
Smells lovely and seems to really wash my hair and leave it looking quite shiny. I don't usually use this and it is in the shower as my son uses it but I have run out of my usual shampoo so have used it now about 5 times. I wash my hair every day and this has been so impressive I may actually carry on using it for awhile longer. It doesn't dry my hair out (and I dye my hair) and it seems to make my hair seem fuller. I know that probably sounds weird but it does. I think it is a very nice shampoo and although I remember when I bought it ages ago (time before this time) it seemed expensive I now think it is justified as you also don't need to use a lot and it lathers quite a bit.
on 29 March 2014
This shampoo has made a significant difference to my hair. I've had hair thinning for many years, I have hereditary hair loss which is awful for a women. I had a patch on the top of my head which was getting thinner. After around one month of using this shampoo I had new hair growth. Three months later my hair now looks and geeks thicker and the patch is almost gone. I wash my hair around four/ five times a week and I leave the shampoo on for at least two minutes each time I wash.
on 27 May 2016
Arrived promptly. Bought this for my husband as he starting to develop some baldness on the top of his head. He has used it for 2 months and it seems to be working - his hair is fuller and less sparse.
on 11 July 2015
Definitely worked well for dandruff, when "normal stuff" like head and shoulders didn't work well. Very good. Not sure about the hair loss - impossible to know what you would have looked like had you not used it.
on 30 November 2014
Hi, I have really dry and flaky hair so I gave this a go for over 3 months.(3 months just to give it a proper chance) I didn't notice any improvement in that time and it did absolutely nothing for my hair but dry it out more thus causing more dandruff!!!!
on 15 February 2014
I bought it for my husband, who's hair started getting thinner and his hair line above forehead started moving up.. He has been quite sceptical, but just couple of weeks since he started using it regularly we both have noticed difference. The very fine and thin hair became much stronger, and hair stopped falling out.
on 31 May 2014
Made my very fine hair lovely and soft. Started to grow back when I was using this product. (Hair loss was caused by rapid weight loss)
I would recommend this shampoo as it was nice to use and lasted quite a while as you don't need to use much to get a lather.