on 19 October 2015
Best usb stick ever.
on 26 August 2014
Great would recommend.
on 10 November 2013
Fast I/O. Lots of capacity. Decent retractable plug design. Just a little longer than I would have liked (but I'm being picky here).
on 10 July 2013
I decided to buy this item after backing up files to my old USB (A SanDisk Ultra 64Gb USB) took a few hours to complete.

I have to say I am really impressed with the speed of this thing - the same backup took just under 15 minutes!

We all have different computer specs, different controllers and drivers etc - so obviously speed results will differ for everyone. And I have to admit the drive for me performed better than expected with a Max read of 163Mb/s and a Max write of 157 Mb/s. (You can never expect to hit the max stated speeds - as manufacturers tests are not run on a day to day working PC)

I've uploaded a customer image of disk speed tests with all the drives in my system. This way you can see the performance of the Extreme USB in relation to the speeds of my other drives - just in case that can be of help to someone :)

All in all - extremely happy with the purchase, definitely worth the extra cost for the speed difference and hence 5 stars :)
review image
on 3 September 2012
Very worried about buying this item as some reviews have been negative but thought I'd take a chance. All I can say is no problems so far. Tested on a laptop with windows 7 & USB 3; very fast transfer times. Also tested on an older desktop with windows 7 and USB 2 and everything working fine.

The Drive may not be as heavy and well-built as other SanDisk Models but looks robust enough to do the job as a large fast file transfer device that I want to use it for.

Haven't tried the software included on the Flash Drive as don't really need it.

I'll update the review if I encounter any problems in the future.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 5 February 2015
SanDisk Extreme 64GB is USB 3.0 flash drive which offers nice combination of good speed and larger storage capacity for those who don’t want to make compromises on both sides.

Though the most important feature that should be emphasized is that models with different sizes also provide different speeds – therefore don’t expect same performance on drives of 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB (speed ranges from 50 to 200MB/s). The problem is that this information is not anywhere specifically mentioned but users will need to find out on their own. Though I tested the biggest model which actually was able to deliver advertised speed, I will suggest SanDisk to clearly state that information in order not to mislead the customers.

The drive itself is nicely designed featuring spring assisted mechanism which is nice add-on. It comes with SW which enables 128 bit AES encryption protection while supported are Win XP, Vista and Win 7 OS out-of-the-box. For Mac OS X v10.5+ user will need to download additional software.

Overall, SanDisk Extreme is decent flash drive with excellent features that can be fully recommended if we are speaking about the biggest 64GB one, though I give one star less because of misleading product description.
on 25 July 2012
I'd been using a SanDisk Cruzer Blade for a while, which looks cool but performs quite poorly with max speeds of 5mb/s each way, so I started looking into a flash drive with more power. If you look all over the internet, you won't find anything close to this kind of performance for this price! The Corsair Voyager among others maxes out at around 35mb/s, but costs more to buy!

Yes it's lighter than most flash drives, which came as a surprise to me, but it feels solid, and I've had it on a key-chain for a couple of months, and it hasn't shown any signs of wear. I've had no problems with the pop-out mechanism, but perhaps it's the luck of the draw.

It's also true that you won't get this kind of performance on most computers because USB 3.0 was only introduced in the last few years, and affordable Solid State Drives came later than that, but that's the point; you're future proofed!

If you're buying a flash drive for a great looking box, or reassuringly heavy and solid build quality, then this won't be for you. But if you're looking for the fastest flash drive around, for the same price as USB 2.0 competitors, then this will come as a pleasant surprise.
on 17 January 2013
I spent a while reading reviews online for USB 3.0 memory sticks, and settled with the Sandisk Cruzer for a variety of reasons.

Firstly, I needed something slim. I have an 11" MacBook Air, and although I like the Corsair Survivor USB it was too bulky for my laptop, as the USB stick would be taller than my laptop is.

I wanted something fast but well built, and the Sandisk is exactly that. I plugged it in, and transferred a 1.04GB folder to it, and it was done in seconds. USB 3.0 is not as clean cut as some people think, some memory sticks are slower than others. Some of the cheaper ones run at about 1/4 of the speed, and as far as I can tell this is one of the fastest, is not the fastest stick on the market.

It is not as small as some are, but I think that the build quality and speed make up for this. The USB connection extends with a nice click, and there is no way it will slide back in when trying to plug it in.

I have partitioned this into a 32GB Windows partition (NTFS) and a 32GB Mac partition (OSX Journaled) and this was completed in seconds and it works a dream.

I would very highly recommend this product, it's about as good as you can get.
on 18 April 2014
I'm very pleased with this stick overall. It's extremely fast through USB3, though I'm probably not achieving that near to the advertised speeds (via USB3, Intel Core i7 processor, 16gb ram etc) it's more than fast enough for my purposes and much faster than any previous memory stick I've owned (most recently, for example, ADATA S102/32GB USB3.0)

The retractable mechanism is nice - I've made a promise to myself never to buy anything but capless sticks as non-capless are just a pain.

My main criticism of the item is that it is very plasticky and light-weight for a 'premium' memory stick. I hope the retractable mechanism is durable but the case just seems rather fragile. Probably just about fit for purpose but no more.

As I'd already stretched to get this item I'd have been willing to pay a few more pounds for, say, a metal case rather than the cheap plastic one I got. On the other hand, I'd put speed, reliability and retractability as the highest priorities.
on 1 December 2012
I've used this for a couple of days to transfer 10GB+ of video and it's been fantastic!

Windows 8 laptop with SSD and USB3 seems to average 170-180MB/s but sometimes it will copy a 2GB+ file to the flash drive at 200MB/s. Read speeds are consistently above 230MB/s.

Compared to any other flash drives I have, including older SanDisk and one ByteStor, this new drive is 20x faster. It actually makes using a flash drive a much more reasonable process, rather than having to go and make a cup of tea whilst data transfers.

If you have a machine (or machines) equipped with SSD's and USB3 (with proper drivers), this SanDisk drive is probably the only thing that will keep pace with what you are doing.

I'll be buying a few more of these of various sizes, that's for sure.

See one answered question