Customer reviews

Admiral Fallow's last album 'Boots Met My Face', released originally in 2010, was
a gem. In Louis Abbott this fine Glaswegian five-piece have a splendid leader
and songwriter and their new album 'Tree Bursts In Snow' finds the band in
increasingly confident form. The wistful melodies and observations of their
earlier work remain intact but what is new here is a greater sense of power
and purpose. It's stirring stuff every-which-way. There are ten songs in the
set and not a weak one among them. When they see fit the ensemble can really
rock out (witness the uproarious 'Guest Of The Government') but when the mood
takes them there are the tenderest moments too (the beautiful 'Old Fools' is
sung with true feeling and conviction by Mr Abbott). There's light and shade in
the foursquare arrangement of 'Beetle In The Box' (sporting commendable vocal
support from Sarah Hayes); delicious harmonies and energetic drumming from Philip
Hauge in 'Brother' and poignant melancholy on final track 'Oh, Oscar'. It is to
the magnificent composition 'Burn', however, to which we must turn to experience
the full force and elegant complexity of the band's sense of drama and palpable
emotion. It is a song to rank with the very best we have heard so-far this year.

An album to treasure. Don't let it pass you by on the other side of the road.

Highly Recommended.
on 30 May 2012
Read various reviews of this album and the glowing testimonials afforded their first album in the amazon review section, and then listened to the short snippets available.I was immediately taken with songs on both albums even on such small crumbs. Luckily got the chance to see them live last Monday and would confirm what some others have known for a while - this is a top notch band. Flute and clarinet add a classy flourish to their sound. The lead singer has a fine voice and duets beautifully with the female member of the band at times. The songs are lyrically rich and hold your attention from start to finish. As has been mentioned elsewhere there are a couple of songs which may bring Elbow to mind. My favourites are the two tracks which bookend the album closely followed by old fools and burn but there are others which i'm sure may just help elevate the band to mass appeal given the right breaks and a bit of national radio play - possibly beetle in the box and/or isn't this world enough. The first album is possibly even better - dead against smoking tops the lot for me. Give both albums a try, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
on 5 December 2012
I've only just discovered this band after reading some of the end-of-year album lists and checking them out. This album is a songwriting masterclass full of poise, delicacy and restraint but also with plenty of pop sensibility. Another thing that comes across is the 'soul' of the album - like all the best bands they sound like they mean every word and note. If there's any justice they are destined for great things.
VINE VOICEon 11 October 2013
I heard a track from this album on an episode of "The Big C" and liked it enough to track down the band, listen to another couple of tracks, and bought this on the strength of that. I am seriously impressed by the performances, the album hangs together well, it's well paced and has a sense of continuity. The entire album is a delight. This band deserve every success, they are sublime.
on 24 December 2013
I bought this because I absolutely loved Boots Met My Face for its strong lyrics and observational humour tinged with harsh reality. I did not enjoy this album so much as it tries too hard to make its points and the lyrics are a little too complex in places leaving me to wonder what they are trying to say. That said, Admiral Fallow are a great band and I shall continue to follow them.
on 5 October 2013
Great album, fine song writing, excellent musicians. I prefer this album to the first ( Boots met my face ) , the band meshes well and its a tight sound. If you get the chance to see the band live - do it, they are even better on the stage
on 22 January 2013
Having first heard Admiral Fallow on their track 'Brother' on a free Nettwerk Fall sampler album I just had to hear more. Loving the complex simplicity of their music and the thought provoking lyrics..
on 28 June 2012
I took a chance based on a review in a Sunday newspaper and was pleasantly surprised. Not a single bad track on this album. My wife and I don't share much music in common but we both enjoyed this.
on 16 August 2013
This is SO good. I'd never heard of Admiral Fallow until I took a shot at this and now I am totally hooked. Vocals are crystal clear, music is brilliant., - really, go buy!
on 25 March 2013
This is a very good follow-up to their first album, even if it doesn't quite reach the same level. Thorough songwriting here too, though, and I really like the album.