on 8 March 2017
I searched Marquez Conga del Fuego on CD's and Vinyl and this was top of the list. I looked at the MP3 list and Conga del Fuego was at track 12. I listened to it, liked it and clicked to buy the CD. I was very disappointed to find that Conga del Fuego is NOT on the CD. Is there a fault on your web or do I need to be more careful? I am keeping the CD but I'm annoyed because I feel I was misled.
on 11 April 2016
Great CD full of vigour and vitality as expected from Dudamel and the Simon Bolivar Orcestra.
Sadly the Conga del Fuego is not on the physical disc but is avaiable to play as a download through Prime.
on 10 March 2017
Xmas gift for a Venezuelan siater-in-law. She loves it.
on 15 August 2017
Very good album gets you up and movin
on 9 March 2017
Fabulous, as expected
on 4 February 2009
This recording is what it suggests a real cracker of a CD I have given it to all my friends. I was introduced to new Latin American composers, all huge fun. I cannot praise it too highly and it is more than time England followed Venezuela's example and had a music system in place in our schools. BRAVO!
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2015
Well, this took me by surprise. I am a rampant musical snob, and when I first saw the title and all the orchestral members wearing the Venezuelan flag I thought 'Uh Oh, this is a must to avoid!' But my curiosity overcame me as a looked at the names of the composers: Revueltas, Ginastera, some intriguing unknowns. So I walked out of the shop with this, and - within minutes - began playing it. And I thought, 'Not bad. Not bad at all'. The recorded orchestral sound sounded rich and detailed, and I found the music a delight until (nearly) the end. What was nice about it was that it wasn't a relentless in-your-face Fiesta. There were a huge variety of moods and rhythms, from the primitivistic to modern Latin American dance rhythms, there was soft and wistful as well as loud and joyous. So, overall, a well balanced mix of Latin American orchestral music (the only piece that overstayed its welcome was 'Santa Cruz de Pacairigua' by Castellanos).
A very refreshing and invigorating collection. It's possible that Gustavo Dudamel and his Simon Bolivar Yourth Orchestra of Venezuela has a new fan!
This live concert showcases the considerable skill and enthusiasm of this remarkable youth orchestra in a program that finds them very much in home territory.

The program, with the exception of the encored Bernstein 'Mamba' is all original Latin American and is obviously completely natural to these players. The orchestra is a very large one with doubling of the woodwind and brass sections as well as an accompanying increase of the strings so the textures we hear are slightly inflated and not the same as those one would hear with a standard professional orchestra. This is of no concern in this concert as the atmosphere generated counts far more than worrying about such niceties as size of orchestra and the inevitable sonic consequences. It is doubtful if this very festive concert could be reproduced by any other ensemble with this level of sustained excitement.

The final 'Mambo' steals the concert as it often does with this group, having become something of a party piece. Fortunately the recording does the occasion full justice.

Comparisons are pointless in this case. For anyone interested in the program, or indeed the players, I would suggest that this disc must warrant very serious consideration indeed. It is truly a unique experience.

Two further considerations for purchase:
There are two outstanding Euroarts DVDs which I would suggest would appeal to anyone interested in the Fiesta disc as above. They are:
1 Gran Fanfare played by the Venezuelan Brass Ensemble - equally exhilarating
2 Sao Paula 'Samba' - the 2008 New Year's Eve concert, Brazilian style!
on 4 February 2009
This is a terrific live recording, full of energy and enthusiasm from this great Youth Orchestra. We have not heard enough of these composers in the West and they deserve greater audience coverage. It would be wonderful if the Orchestra make it back to the Proms in the near future - their concert in 2007 was electric. It was marvellous to see so many talented young musicians and congratulations to Venezuela for such a successful and enjoyable venture.
on 29 April 2009
Setting aside the justifiable hype associated with Gustavo Dudamel, this, on all counts is an outstanding CD. The Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela, product of their El Sistema music programme introduces us to unfamiliar Central and South American composers writing orchestral music in a western style, as well as the piece, 'Mambo' by Leonard Bernstein.

The high quality of the musicianship of the young players is very evident in this CD, and one can almost sense their enthusiasm, so evident in their peformance at the 2008 BBC Proms.

Among much excellent music I would pick out 'Danzon No 2' by the Mexican composer, Arturo Marquez. It's so popular that it has been dubbed 'Mexico's second national anthem'. A bit like 'Bolero' the short piece (9'46) starts quietly but with a catchy rhythm. This rhythm becomes insistent, eventually driving the music to a superb crescendo. My instant reaction is to go to the player to start it again!

Now, don't delay - if you're interested in unfamiliar classical orchestral music, get this CD today. You won't regret it!
11 Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse